Jack Kerouac Question #1 - The Deluge

by Edgar Allen Poe, William Saroyan, Jack Kerouac and Hunter S. Thompson

Moderator: Liz

nebraska

Re: Jack Kerouac Question #1 - The Deluge

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:07 pm

On the Road was a very difficult read for me. It struck me mostly as the incoherent ramblings of a childish self-indulgent irresponsible man. :banghead: I am sure the alcoholism affects most of his writing -- I have heard it said that only 10 percent of alcoholism is an alcohol problem and the other 90 percent is a living problem and even when he wasn't under the influence of alcohol he would have been under the influence of the disease.

I have not read this week's material yet except for the first article about Johnny. But I will. I obviously must have missed something :-/ because Jack's writing endures and he certainly had a positive influence on Mr. Depp.

deppaura

Unread postby deppaura » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:31 pm

Unfortunately many artistic people are viewed as being free spirited to a fault. Child like and self indulgent. Maybe emotionally they remain immature giving them a certain sensitivity and often character weakness. The ying and the yang. The sensitivity allows a special creative expression, kind of universally recognized and acknowledged. But, often there seems to be a tradeoff. Drugs, Alcohol, mental instability. They're often on the "outside" of society whether purposeful or just because. I guess this isn't a given for all artistic people, but, in Jack's case seems to be so. A bit like Hunter, or Hemmingway?

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:05 pm

You are right, Deppaura. I think what bothered me about On the Road was Jack's willingness to steal or beg what others worked for in their lives of conformity (food, gas, etc) and he didn't see a conflict between that rather predatory behavior and all his talk about love and respect for others. Lots of "head stuff" without the practical application.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:48 pm

Wow! I see we have a spirited debate going on here regarding Kerouac’s lofty ideals vs. his actions. I like it! :cool: I have to agree a tad with nebraska about some of his actions during his journey on the road. I’m having to tax my memory a little in that regard. But I do remember a discussion thread or two back in ’04 that touched on this subject. I remember being a little bit more tolerant of Jack than I was of Neal Cassidy. But Jack wasn’t a saint either.

I know a bit (from an artist’s standpoint) just how sensitive we can be. I agree with what you say, deppaura. At least for myself, I am quite emotional. I haven’t decided if I’m emotionally immature or if I might be too mature emotionally. All I know is that I have some issues there. And I do think that those who feel things very deeply can be prone to depression. And that can lead to periods of self-medication.

As far as the word, “deluge”, I think it is an appropriate word because this essay is definitely a “torrent” of angry words. He sounds angry and frustrated….maybe even at himself. But I also think that Buster’s 2nd translation of the title is fitting because he probably knows he doesn’t have much time left, and he’s so angry that he doesn’t really care what happens to this terrible place after he’s gone.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

trygirl

Unread postby trygirl » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:17 pm

I will probably take a backseat with this discussion as well. But I have enjoyed reading all of your passionate answers. I will agree that by this point, Kerouac was over it, the hippies, the movement, the protesters, etc. He's done being a figurehead. I could feel the acridness in his words. I agree he was just tired of the whole thing.
I'm not a brand, I'm more of a variety. - Johnny Depp

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:58 pm

Kerouac can be a tough to sometimes but hang in there. Keep reading and see what pops up next week. :grin:

I think tomorrow's question might help us tie some things together.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:21 pm

deppaura wrote:Unfortunately many artistic people are viewed as being free spirited to a fault. Child like and self indulgent. Maybe emotionally they remain immature giving them a certain sensitivity and often character weakness. The ying and the yang. The sensitivity allows a special creative expression, kind of universally recognized and acknowledged. But, often there seems to be a tradeoff. Drugs, Alcohol, mental instability. They're often on the "outside" of society whether purposeful or just because. I guess this isn't a given for all artistic people, but, in Jack's case seems to be so. A bit like Hunter, or Hemmingway?

The more I read your post the more I agree. I think you have described Jack to a tee.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Return to “Autumn Authors”