Saroyan Week ~ Question #3 ~ Saroyan's Goal

by Edgar Allen Poe, William Saroyan, Jack Kerouac and Hunter S. Thompson

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Re: Saroyan Week ~ Question #3 ~ Saroyan's Goal

Unread postby Liz » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:25 am

I’m sorry that I have been AWOL today. Work & family have been taking over my life lately.

I don’t feel that there is too much more that I can say after reading all of your insightful responses. But I have to comment on DITHOT’s quote and Sweetchia’s response to it. Yeah, I feel that way about Johnny too. He’s been the catalyst for so many changes in my life and in others I know. He has no idea.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:30 am

gemini wrote:I guess if his goal was to counteract impermanence and he died in 1981 and here we are wondering if he did it, then he did. Since we are still talking about him and so will the next few generations, I'd say he met his goal.

Very good point, gemini. And I think other authors have done the same.

I want to go back and ask Sweetchia who her favorite author was (who is not around any longer). I apologize if I missed that somewhere in your post.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

sweetchia

Unread postby sweetchia » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:49 am

Liz wrote:
gemini wrote:I guess if his goal was to counteract impermanence and he died in 1981 and here we are wondering if he did it, then he did. Since we are still talking about him and so will the next few generations, I'd say he met his goal.

Very good point, gemini. And I think other authors have done the same.

I want to go back and ask Sweetchia who her favorite author was (who is not around any longer). I apologize if I missed that somewhere in your post.

His name is John O'Donohue. He was a Celtic poet.
During a day, if you don’t make someone smile or feel good about himself, you’re not a man! I don’t think you’re fulfilling your part of the bargain as a human being - Johnny

Storygirl

Unread postby Storygirl » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:41 pm

Sweetchia, thank you for replying with the name of you favourite author, of whom I had not previously heard. It made me curious, so I went looking...

Now I understand your sentiment - his writing is touching, evocative, thought provoking - expressing feelings you may have carried for years, without being able to put them into words. (And so far, I have read only very little!) I will be buying his books and treasuring the golden contents for many years to come, I think.

Many, many thanks.

sweetchia

Unread postby sweetchia » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:27 pm

Storygirl wrote:Sweetchia, thank you for replying with the name of you favourite author, of whom I had not previously heard. It made me curious, so I went looking...

Now I understand your sentiment - his writing is touching, evocative, thought provoking - expressing feelings you may have carried for years, without being able to put them into words. (And so far, I have read only very little!) I will be buying his books and treasuring the golden contents for many years to come, I think.

Many, many thanks.

Oh I am so glad you connect with him. Does he not have the most lyrical way of writing? He had an interesting life too. So sad he passed so suddenly, but he went quietly in his sleep. I have Anam Cara, Eternal Echoes and Beauty. They are the kind of books you underline passages in and read over and over. His last work, I have that too, To Bless the Space Between Us, is a series of beautiful blessings for different phases of life.
During a day, if you don’t make someone smile or feel good about himself, you’re not a man! I don’t think you’re fulfilling your part of the bargain as a human being - Johnny

Return to “Autumn Authors”