Johnny Question #1 ~ Influences

by Edgar Allen Poe, William Saroyan, Jack Kerouac and Hunter S. Thompson

Moderator: Liz

Gilbert's Girl

Re: Johnny Question #1 ~ Influences

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:38 am

Can you be influenced in the way you write by someone else. Johnny seems to write from the heart and I think is purely his own way of writing as is his acting.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:05 am

Buster wrote:Interesting, nebraska. It is very easy to hide behind a persona, and the easiest ones to adopt are those embraced by the people you admire.

Or, perhaps more telling, those who exhibit the person you secretly wish you were, whether truly admirable or not. I think recklessness is attractive, as is vulnerability, though both these attributes usually come off worse for wear in real life.

I was thinking more in terms of learning from someone you admire so you can acquire the qualities that you desire and integrate them into your personality -- self-improvement. Maybe we are talking about the same idea, just expressing it differently.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:07 pm

Gilbert's Girl wrote:Can you be influenced in the way you write by someone else. Johnny seems to write from the heart and I think is purely his own way of writing as is his acting.

I knew I’d forget everything I wanted to say in my long post last night. I also wanted to say that although I think he has been influenced by Hunter’s writing, I do find his writing unique. I can’t really describe it, but he has a particular style that he seems to carry over from one piece to the next that is truly his own and that I recognize every time. :cool:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:09 pm

I suspect that those we take as mentors are people who start with the same vulnerabilities as we have and who also have found at least a starting place from which to grow. (So nebraska, we have an accord.)

One of the most appealing aspects of writing is that you have control over the final product. It is an opportunity to expose the facets of yourself you are willing to make public. I suspect Johnny not only recognises this, but exploits it.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:12 pm

sweetchia wrote:Boy. Wouldn't it be nice...if he wrote a book? Maybe one day.

:pray:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

deppaura

Unread postby deppaura » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:03 pm

Buster wrote:One of the marks of a charismatic writer or performer is that they appear to let you into their inner most thoughts while preserving their personal integrity.
A balancing act. (Philipe Petit...)
Bravery (bravado, even) but with self-deprecating humor always as a disguise.

Right On, as they say. I don't want to take this too far away from the subject. Know Johnny?? I don't think I do. I know the performer Johnny, the Public Johnny when he puts his best foot forward. He presents his best artistic, intelligent self. But, as we know there is the shy Johnny, the giggling Johnny, the prankster Johnny. The private Johnny. I don't know him. I don't know John Depp.
Last edited by deppaura on Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:35 pm

As intriguing as their private lives seem to be, the public persona is what first attracted us to them.

As soon as I learned about Hunter's proclivity toward shotguns and fuel tanks, I was doomed.

Whatever it is that captivates us...I'm grateful for those brave souls who expose a part of themselves and inspire the rest of us.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:41 pm

I think Johnny's writing has an immediacy to it, like Kerouac and Hunter. There is a certain rhythm to it that has the same sort of feel. I can see how the preface to The Time of Your Life grabbed him but I see less of Saroyan's influence in Johnny's writing. As mentioned above, his artistic talents seem to flow into his writing, painting pictures with his words.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

bluebird

Unread postby bluebird » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:07 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:I think Johnny's writing has an immediacy to it, like Kerouac and Hunter. There is a certain rhythm to it that has the same sort of feel. I can see how the preface to The Time of Your Life grabbed him but I see less of Saroyan's influence in Johnny's writing. As mentioned above, his artistic talents seem to flow into his writing, painting pictures with his words.

Rhythm... that's what I've always loved about what Johnny writes... and Hunter... and Kerouac... The preface to The Time of Your Life has that same rhythm... and JD also has that rhythm in some of my favorite scenes and passages in his movies... Even with just one sentence, he has a feel for the words and the spaces between them...
bluebird
The edge … there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. HST

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:13 pm

bluebird wrote:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:I think Johnny's writing has an immediacy to it, like Kerouac and Hunter. There is a certain rhythm to it that has the same sort of feel. I can see how the preface to The Time of Your Life grabbed him but I see less of Saroyan's influence in Johnny's writing. As mentioned above, his artistic talents seem to flow into his writing, painting pictures with his words.

Rhythm... that's what I've always loved about what Johnny writes... and Hunter... and Kerouac... The preface to The Time of Your Life has that same rhythm... and JD also has that rhythm in some of my favorite scenes and passages in his movies... Even with just one sentence, he has a feel for the words and the spaces between them...
bluebird

That's a great correlation, Bluebird. There is a definite rhythm/inflection/emphasis/timing/brilliance to how he delivers his lines.

Return to “Autumn Authors”