Attica Question #24 ~ Final Thoughts

by Garry Kilworth

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Attica Question #24 ~ Final Thoughts

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:42 am

Noodlemantras, it's time to leave the continent of Attica, Chloe, Jordy, and Alex behind :-/ but not before one more question. Thanks to all who joined in, and all who may have just lurked for your interest in our little corner of the Zone. :thanks!:

We will definitely see you on October 25 but do check in now and then...you never know what might be popping up. :biggrin: And now without further ado...our last Attica question.

Is there anything that hasn’t been covered that you would like to discuss?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

ladylinn

Re: Attica Question #24 ~ Final Thoughts

Unread postby ladylinn » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:25 am

This was a great discussion. Lots of great thoughts from everyone and well lead by Liz and DITHOT (would we expect less? :biggrin: ).
I have just one unanswered thought - the time pieces running backwards. :perplexed: Maybe I should just leave it alone and accept it as an imaginitive piece of work from the author. Fun read !!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:42 am

Well, you might just get that question answered, ladylinn. Today or tomorrow I am going to post a thread asking for questions for Garry. He’s agreed to do a Q&A with us.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:11 pm

Liz wrote:Well, you might just get that question answered, ladylinn. Today or tomorrow I am going to post a thread asking for questions for Garry. He’s agreed to do a Q&A with us.

Hooray!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :applause2: :bounce: :yahoo:

Having Garry monitor our discussion and pop in with a comment here and there has been a treat (although I'm sure other authors have been curious and listened in). One of my "final thoughts" was going to be to ask if he had anything to add.

I enjoyed the book a great deal more than I thought I would enjoy a children's book. As we have pointed out before, it was written well enough to appeal to readers of all ages.

I suppose it has to do with my age and station in life, but I wish the character of Mr. Grantham had been more fully developed. I suppose since it was the kids' story we only needed to know the parts of Mr. Grantham that related to them but I think he was a lot "more" than we got to see.

I am still disturbed by Chloe stealing the walrus when she was downstairs. The things in the attic didn't seem to really "belong" to anyone and were there for the taking, but the walrus carving was different. Maybe that is something I need to bring up with Garry.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:47 pm

Another discussion I am sad to leave. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, thinking it only for children. I am glad Garry is going to do the Q&A. I always look forward to them.

As for undiscussed topics. I also am mystified by the time aspect as ladylinn brought up, but the fantasy vs reality part interested me more. It sort of includes the time aspect anyway. The fact that everything was back to not only normal but exactly where they left at their return, with the only part of Attica remaining was the family Chloe met on their journey. It shows that theres was not the only attic with an entrance but that Atticas magic somehow affects real life. Makes you wonder more about Mr Granthams journey and if he went alone or with his first girlfriend Susan and why he wanted her gift of the pocket watch back after all this time. He had obviously met her before his venture into the attic.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

shadowydog

Unread postby shadowydog » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:08 pm

I have followed this even though I haven't read the book.... :fear: Thanks to Garry for popping in an helping out with the discussion. :loveshower:
I have nothing to do and all day to do it in.

deppaura

Unread postby deppaura » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:59 pm

Yes,indeed a fun time again!! Sharing our views, reactions. TIME!! Yes, that really got me almost as though it is the thread running through the story??? I think we are all in accord trying to figure it out. I hope Garry can offer an explanation and I am glad we have the opportunity to ask him. Nebraska, I don't think Chloe stole the walrus, exactly. She picked it up with the intention of using it as a weapon. She left the underworld with it in her pocket, but, I don't think she intentionally stole it. Please correct me and excuse me if I interpreted something wrong. I just had a thought. Here we are a bunch of "adults" who read a story primarily intended for young people. Hopefully Garry won't be bowled over by intense questions, when he merely hoped to fashion a fun adventure story!! The Q and A session will be interesting, indeed.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:22 am

Shadowydog, I just think that is the coolest. I’m glad you lurked and participated.

My final thoughts are about Jordy and the girl tarzanna. I didn’t really get that part…..why it was in there and then referred to again at the end. I don’t understand how he could expect to judge all future women in his life by that one time he locked eyes with her. I hope Garry will give me some insight.

Thanks to all for participating. As usual, you ladies showed your great insight in your answers. You :rocknroll:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:30 am

deppaura wrote:Yes,indeed a fun time again!! Sharing our views, reactions. TIME!! Yes, that really got me almost as though it is the thread running through the story??? I think we are all in accord trying to figure it out. I hope Garry can offer an explanation and I am glad we have the opportunity to ask him. Nebraska, I don't think Chloe stole the walrus, exactly. She picked it up with the intention of using it as a weapon. She left the underworld with it in her pocket, but, I don't think she intentionally stole it. Please correct me and excuse me if I interpreted something wrong. I just had a thought. Here we are a bunch of "adults" who read a story primarily intended for young people. Hopefully Garry won't be bowled over by intense questions, when he merely hoped to fashion a fun adventure story!! The Q and A session will be interesting, indeed.

I have wondered that myself, since once a long time ago we thought we might have over-analyzed something in a discussion. :rolleyes:

I need to go back and look at that part where she takes the walrus, it would make me feel a LOT better to think that her behavior was innocent/accidental.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:37 pm

nebraska wrote: I need to go back and look at that part where she takes the walrus, it would make me feel a LOT better to think that her behavior was innocent/accidental.

I've been meaning to do that too but haven't had the time. :-/

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:44 pm

Really? It's over? How can that be? :perplexed:

(Clearly the discussion vanished the way my coffee does when I'm not looking. Really? I drank it all?)

Final thoughts--as usual, my thanks to Liz and DITHOT and all of our insightful ONBC-ers. Amazing, amazing. :notworthy:

suec

Unread postby suec » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:39 pm

I enjoyed the book very much and also the discussion. It was also nice to see Garry's comments and I look forward to the Q and A.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:02 pm

Liz wrote:
nebraska wrote: I need to go back and look at that part where she takes the walrus, it would make me feel a LOT better to think that her behavior was innocent/accidental.

I've been meaning to do that too but haven't had the time. :-/

She picked up the walrus on purpose, but I believe that taking it back up into the attic was accidental. On page 203, as Chloe was putting a book away, the front door rattled and she picked up the walrus to use as a weapon for whoever was trying to get in. When it wasn't anything, she put the carving in her pocket, went upstairs to check on the children and then waited for the parents to get home, at which point she ran down the stairs, unlocked the door and ran back upstairs and through the attic trapdoor. She didn't remember that she still had the walrus in her pocket until she was already back in the attic. But she had no intention of going back down again.

Page 206:
Chloe bent over to pick up her pack and felt a heavy lump in her pocket. It was the little statuette from the house below. The one she had kept in case she needed a weapon. She hoped to goodness that removing it was not going to cause all sorts of chaos and confusion in the world below: altering the tides, the climate and weather, the phases of the moon, the hours of daylight. But she wasn't going to ask the bortrekker. He seemed to like being the voice of doom. She would rather not know.

Gosh, the time seemed to just fly by! As always, thanks for an engaging discussion, Liz and DITHOT.
:ok:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:49 pm

Thanks for looking that up, Theresa. I do feel a little better now.

Perhaps my adult mind worries too much about something that wouldn't mean anything at all to a youngster reading an adventure book.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:52 pm

Thanks for clearing that up, Theresa. I feel better.

Return to “Attica”