Attica Question #22 ~ There's No Place Like Home

by Garry Kilworth

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Attica Question #22 ~ There's No Place Like Home

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:47 am

What did you think about how the author chose to get the kids back home?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

ladylinn

Re: Attica Question #22 ~ There's No Place Like Home

Unread postby ladylinn » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:16 pm

The author's ending of the story had alot of excitment, challenges and left us wondering about Alex's return until the end. Jordy and Chloe were pretty much always ready and intent on finding a way home. When Chloe broke her arm - that kind of sealed the decision to go right away. Alex still was not sure whether he wanted to return - but seeing Jordy and Chloe flying overhead tugged at his heart. Alex asked Amanda if she could, would she return to the underworld. After 100 years in the attic, she said she wouldln't fit in. With her encourgement - Alex made his decision. Again with flare - the author brought Alex home too. It wasn't until this time when all the children were home safely and no time lost - that I was still struggling with why the watches and clocks moved backwards. I guessed that because the real world time had not passed the children by, they could return safely. Amanda had waited too long to be able to step back into her time in the world.
This is too long and I am not sure if I figured the time thing right or not. :-/ But I do know the author made it exciting!!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:08 pm

Ladylinn, I thought the same thing about the clocks…..that is why time had not moved forward when they returned home.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:39 pm

I guess "There is no place like home" fits as well here as in the wizard of Oz. I was expecting a little more tie in with Mr Grantham when they returned instead of everything right back to the status quo. I guess I was really into it being real instead of just in their minds. ( I guess the clocks and time fit in here as well) I truly did like the glider as a means of going home and was glad that Alex had a bit of help.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:31 pm

I don't think I worded this question to get the answer I was after out of it, not that there is anything wrong with your answers. Lost in Translation as it were...

I should have asked specifically about the plot device he used to rescue them from the attic. I kept wondering the whole time how the author would work out getting them out of the attic and back home!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

suec

Unread postby suec » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:05 pm

I think the accident and then use of the glider worked very well as a plot device to sort out the separation of Alex from the other two. It made it sudden and unavoidable, with the glider only able to take two, and resolved that bit of the story well. They had no choice but to go. It could have been difficult otherwise. And Alex had enough time, independence and reflection for him to sort himself out - and save Attica. I also liked that Chloe was doing the flying and saving Jordy. An effective bit of teamwork between them which added something to the story. It also added an exciting bit. With Alex's return, it was still very quick and briefly told but if the others had returned that way too I think it may have felt a bit flat, in comparison to the glider.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:34 pm

Hmmmm. Plot device. I am not sure of your question yet. I saw many plot devices and they just seemed to fall into place. That Alex became a board-comber in time to trade Chloe's Walrus for a steam engine. That Nelson decided to be ferocious and run off the removal firm when they intended to arrest the children. Jordy is hurt which necessitates him returning home but in the process he has found the map they needed. The bortrekker returns just in time to point out the glider as a means of getting home for Chloe and Jordy while impressing Alex enough to change careers so to speak. As a bortrekker he becomes adventurer enough to cross the ocean. Alex meets Amanda and the means to find Mr. Granthams watch but has to prove himself by helping her. The watch playing Frere Jacques leads Alex to the bomb to save Attica and she in turn provided him the watch and a way home. All giving each child their chance to prove themselves.

Is that one plot device or every piece falling into place? :-? :perplexed:
Last edited by gemini on Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

deppaura

Unread postby deppaura » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:01 am

Agree with all said before. I particularly liked the suspense, to almost the very end, of Alex's return. I also loved how with amazing ease all three resumed their place in the family scene. How quickly they adapted to the supposed short time away as experienced by their parents regarding their absence!! Their recollection was, of course, days, weeks?, spent away in Attica. Their little private secret, except of course when it came to Mr. Grantham, who knew exactly what they had experienced. The plot "devices" worked pretty well for me most of the time. They were acceptable. But, I must say, somehow the underworld visit didn't quite work for me. For me, it disturbed the style of the story.

trygirl

Unread postby trygirl » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:12 am

I thought it was great how they got home, especially with Alex. He needed to find his own way back, and for that, separation comes into play. Chloe wants to drag Alex home but he still has more exploring to do. And oddly enough, all of these adventures lead him straight home. Chloe doesn't seek thrills yet she flies the glider to save Jordy and surprises them both. Each child finds the attic has a different path for them.
I'm not a brand, I'm more of a variety. - Johnny Depp

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:48 am

I was wondering if they found a way home, by whatever manner, because they were finally ready to go home? They had created new bonds with each other that would carry over into their new blended family life. Alex made peace with himself and knew he wanted to be part of it. Chloe helped the family she visited and in the process probably helped herself and found strength as the leader of the group. I'm not entirely sure about Jordy, but he became closer to the others and was able to let Chloe take the lead and give up his big brother role for a while. It was time to go so each found a way.

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Attica”