Attica Question #21 ~ Book to Film

by Garry Kilworth

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Attica Question #21 ~ Book to Film

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:47 am

Are you looking forward to Attica the movie?

Do you see it as live action or animated?

What parts interest you most to see on film?

(We touched a bit on this yesterday but I wanted to give you all a chance to expand the ideas.)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

ladylinn

Re: Attica Question #21 ~ Book to Film

Unread postby ladylinn » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:35 am

As I posted before - Attica would make a great and very entertaining movie for all ages. I like the idea of animation for the attic creatures and live people for those of the real world. Johnny could have a lot of fun bringing all the attic characters to life. I especially would like to see his ideas on the masks, boardcomers and the board trekker. I guess I would just love to see this on the big screen any way they want! :hatterspin:

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:17 pm

I would definitely watch this movie. I think it would work well in a mixed live/animated style. Although I think it would work to mix the two throughout the movie, I think it would be more difficult for the children to work with the green screen. I was thinking something along the lines of the children's movie, "Arthur and the Invisibles" with Freddie Highmore...when he's above ground, it's all live action; but when he goes underground to the land of the Invisibles, it becomes all computer generated...even Freddie.

I think that would work nicely with this book, too...animate the children when they go into the attic.

Although...keeping some elements real would make a good movie, too! Well, either way, I think it would be a great movie.

suec

Unread postby suec » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:44 pm

I'd like to see the Lord of The Rings touch to it. I'd like the sense of scale - such as when the Dwarf Hall in Moria is first revealed by Gandalf. Attica would benefit from that treatment. I think it needs the same sense of scale too.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:48 pm

I think I would prefer live action with some really good special effects. I think it would be scarier shot in live action. Maybe scarier isn't the word...more thrilling?

It's hard for me to pick out certain scenes that I'm looking forward to because the amount of creativity that someone could bring to these sets is just endless. The mirrors, Katerfelto, the water tank, the battle with the musical instruments, just the whole landscape of Attica would be something to see on film. I do think seeing it in 3D would be a crazy experience!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:07 pm

Are you looking forward to Attica the movie? Yes I think I would like to see it made.

Do you see it as live action or animated? I think all the human children or atticans that once were, should be real but the inantimate objects I would rather see come to life with special effects more than animation.

What parts interest you most to see on film? I would really like to see how they portray the limitless size of the attic, its mountains, and water tower oceans. I would love to see the hang glider flying through the attic as if it were crossing deserts, mountains, and jungles.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:13 pm

The hang glider part would be "fun" in 3D! :freaked:

Wow! What a ride!

deppaura

Unread postby deppaura » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:35 pm

I'm not so sure I would want it on a "grand" scale, but, I know in todays " effects" world, that is just wishful thinking. Somehow, Attica, for me, is all about light and dark. O.K., guys, I see it as black and white. I see a lot of drama, mystery. I want my senses to be stirred. I want the actors to take me along on the adventure with conviction. I remember seeing Babes in Toyland, an old Laurel and Hardy film on t.v. It was originally done in black and white and was immensely charming. Well, a few years ago my son got me the DVD and it had been colorized and is NOT the same movie! Does not feel the same. And the only change is the color. I'm not sure if they could mix a bit of subtle color here and there for effect. Don't know if you can effectively mix it up. I'm always concerned about book to movie anyway. After reading the story we all have our respective Attica. It is so personal.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:47 pm

Wow! What wonderful answers all around! And such a wide vaiety of ideas!

Deppaura makes an interesting observation, that we all have our own Attica, that it is personal. :cool: In spite of this being a fantasy science fiction whatever it is, I found myself being very visually involved with the story. I am sure my personal vision, which is certainly on a smaller scale than Garry's description, is nothing at all like the visual that would come to life on the big screen. I think it is a tribute to Garry's writing that I have a personal vision of Attica, I don't always "see" scenes quite so vividly. The idea of a black and white movie is intriguing.

My first thought was real actors for the children, animation (is it still called claymation?) for the Atticans. Things like Katerfelto would probably need computer-generated special effects.....maybe a great deal more of the attic as well.

I think the movie would be amazing, and I would probably watch it at least on DVD if not in the theater.......but a part of me also wonders if it is best left to the imagination in book form. Like Deppaura, I worry about the book to movie transition as well.

trygirl

Unread postby trygirl » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:33 am

I'm also blown away with these answers. The book transitioning to movie form does not worry me, because it ultimately becomes the vision of the director. It would be a shame to rob young audiences of a story that has the potential to beautiful on screen. But I would prefer live action to fun animation. In the cartoon world the potency of the inanimate objects would get lost in translation, special effects is the way to go. The parts that interest me the most would consist of the sewing machine cars, the music instuments turned weapons, and the wicked collector of souls.
I'm not a brand, I'm more of a variety. - Johnny Depp

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:32 pm

I just realized that I never got back to this question. I must have been very busy with life that day. Great answers and ideas indeed! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nebraska, I too, found Garry's storytelling to be very visual. And that makes me very much look forward to seeing how it translates to film.

Deppaura I like your idea of black and white with a hint of color. I was enthralled with Babes and Toyland as a child. But I couldn’t figure out what you meant by Laurel and Hardy. So I looked it up and watched a bit on You Tube. I always thought that the first and only version was the one with Annette Funicello. :lol: I think I still like that one better in all it’s glorious color. Color was a big thing back then.

The number 1 scene I would like to see in the movie would be the scene with the mannequins. After that, I think I would like to see the scenes involving the Great Water Tank and the voodoo dolls (as much as dolls coming to life on film scares me). I look forward to the dust sprites and the storms also.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “Attica”