Attica Question #20 ~ Casting

by Garry Kilworth

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Attica Question #20 ~ Casting

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:06 am

How would you cast the film? Do you see a role for Johnny?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Re: Attica Question #20 ~ Casting

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:02 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:How would you cast the film? Do you see a role for Johnny?

It would be lovely if the children's parts could be played by relatively unknown actors -- the next Freddie Highmore might be out there waiting to be discovered. I think they need fresh exciting new faces!

As for Johnny, Ben is the obvious choice due to age and such, but I think with age-appropriate make up he would be best cast as Mr. Grantham. I think that character has a lot more deppth than we had a chance to see and with Johnny's fabulous eyes and facial expressions, he would be able to express more of the character's layers.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:09 pm

nebraska, I was thinking about Johnny as the Bortrekker or even the mask that Alex carries with him but I love your idea of him as Mr. Grantham! Wouldn't that be fun!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:13 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:nebraska, I was thinking about Johnny as the Bortrekker or even the mask that Alex carries with him but I love your idea of him as Mr. Grantham! Wouldn't that be fun!

Oh, he would be an excellent Makishi! :applause2:

trygirl

Unread postby trygirl » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:31 pm

Johnny as Mr. Grantham would be rather perfect. But while the cast should be fresh, it might not be so easy to find the right Chloe. There aren't many girls that come to mind. I think Johnny as Punch would be nice. Puppets believing they are real is a fascinating concept. Johnny could definitely bring the character to life in this movie.
I'm not a brand, I'm more of a variety. - Johnny Depp

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:44 pm

Nebraska, trygirl and DITHOT, I think all of your ideas for casting Johnny are quite interesting :ok: ; but I see someone else as Ben. Because of their respective occupations and Ben’s ER ringtone, I immediately thought of these two for Ben and Dipa….

John Stamos (Tony Gates from ER)

Parminder Nagra (Neela from ER, & Bend it Like Beckham).

I have absolutely no ideas for the other cast members. I am totally drawing a blank. :perplexed:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

stroch

Unread postby stroch » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:58 pm

Well, I know that this is not going to be a very popular choice, but when I was reading the story, I thought of the Katerfelto as Johnny. I envisioned his face shape-shifting in some swirl of vapors, with those intense eyes pulling the children in. His ability to transmit so much without words is what meade me see him in that persona.
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:15 pm

It's so interesting to see how we all envision Johnny's role. I wouldn't have thought of Punch or Katerfelto but I'm definitely seeing the possibilities.

Liz, I like your suggestion of Parminder Nagra for Dipa.

trygirl, I'm not very savvy on young actresses these days so I don't have any suggestions for Chloe. She is such a key player and strong role model in the story. What a wonderful opportunity!

Wow! What a ride!

deppaura

Unread postby deppaura » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:24 pm

stroch wrote:Well, I know that this is not going to be a very popular choice, but when I was reading the story, I thought of the Katerfelto as Johnny. I envisioned his face shape-shifting in some swirl of vapors, with those intense eyes pulling the children in. His ability to transmit so much without words is what meade me see him in that persona.

Well, I thought of that as well, stroch. Don't do enough movies, so thought of kids that were in Slumdog Millionaire?? Anyone see it? Any thoughts? The Harry Potter films, any hits there? When I mentioned Burton, earlier, I was thinking of his artistry and design in creating the atmosphere of Attica. I had fun thinking of the roles Johnny could do, along with Katerfelto, and also thought of bortrekker. Remembering BonBon, my nuttiness even played with Johnny as 100 yr old Amanda! Really off the wall!! Seriously, Amanda's role should go to the most captivating girl/woman, they can find. I read that Rowling originally wanted Terry Gilliam for her Harry Potter films...Is he too off the wall? An english director, like David Yates, of Potter fame?

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:44 am

I did see Slumdog Millionaire and those kids were incredible. I'm leaning towards newcomers though for some reason. I agree about Amanda, she is going to be a pivotal character. Johnny as Amanda would be a hoot! :lol:

Wow! What a ride!

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:28 am

I thought about this question all day yesterday and decided that it is a good thing that I didn't chose "Casting director" as my profession! :harhar:
Yes, I would love to see the story on the screen with the attic characters in animation and the children as real people. As for who to play the roles - I don't have a clue! I like the ideas everyone wrote and as for Johnny -he could fill any of the characters mentioned. But how about Johnny directing a cast of new comers? I believe he could really do a great job. :ok:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:59 am

Ladylinn, maybe you’re not casting director material, but producer material you are. I like the idea of him directing. That's a very creative idea. :cool:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

suec

Unread postby suec » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:40 pm

deppaura, I like your idea for Terry Gilliam as director. It occurred to me too. I suppose because of the fantasy quest story and oh, things like the dolls chasing them and the horrid hall of mirrors. There is something very reminiscent of Gilliam in the book for me. But I can't say i had any ideas for the cast, but then that's nothing new. :blush:
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:58 pm

I wrote this post the night before when Dithot commented but forgot to post it in the morning. So much for my best laid plans. Here are my original thoughts.....
I am at a loss here for coming up with child actors, especially with Indian descent. I have not seen slum dog millionaire but maybe those children would do. Freddie Highmore ]has grown up a bit since Charlie in the Chocolate Factory so maybe he could be Jordy. He may not be old enough but I think Alan Rickman would be a great Mr Grantham. James McAvoy could be Ben and a great Dad for Jordy.
Anne Hathaway has the dark hair and eyes for Dipa because I cant think of an actress with Indian descent.

I have lost my patience..
Three times I finished adding the photo links for my cast and each time the total post vanished when I hit to post it. Now the links won't work. :banghead:
Last edited by gemini on Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:30 pm, edited 21 times in total.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:11 pm

No worries, gemini. Sometimes the best laid plans just aren't the ones we end up with!

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Attica”