Attica Quest. 13 ~ Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate

by Garry Kilworth

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Attica Quest. 13 ~ Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate

Unread postby Liz » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:25 pm

Pg. 190:

You can’t win treasures without going through risk. The treasures didn’t mean anything otherwise. And the risk could be enjoyed if you knew what you were doing.

What does knowing what you are doing have to do with it? Do you agree that you can’t win treasures without going through some risk?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

trygirl

Re: Attica Quest. 13 ~ Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate

Unread postby trygirl » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:26 pm

I think our Captain Jack Sparrow is a perfect example of knowing what you're doing where risk is a factor. The risk is one thing but to have a good time while doing it, or better yet, to stand a good chance of surviving it and coming out the other side is another. I guess Alex knows that if you have the right tools, risk becomes the adventure. I feel anything worth having is a struggle. Things easily gotten aren't the same as those hard won. And though not all treasure has to come with a fight, it's nice to really earn the prize. Don't just hand it over. Give us no pain, no gain.
I'm not a brand, I'm more of a variety. - Johnny Depp

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:47 pm

Back to the male-female thing again, men look at risk as adventure or a chance to prove themselves or develop skills. If there is a treasue at the end fine, if not, it was an experience to remember. Sometimes its the thrill of the experience that is the treasure.

I guess, it must apply to woman too because it makes sense to me.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

deppaura

Unread postby deppaura » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:58 pm

It's like earning the reward. Not just having it handed to you. Applying yourself to the task. The more effort involved, the better the final feeling of accomplishment. The bigger the prize.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:50 pm

deppaura wrote:It's like earning the reward. Not just having it handed to you. Applying yourself to the task. The more effort involved, the better the final feeling of accomplishment. The bigger the prize.
You just made me think of all the articles I've read that tell of lottery winners who have squandered their winnings and end up as penniless as they were before.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:05 pm

Well, I agree that we get more fulfillment from having done something that took a little bit of work or succeeding at something that was a bit of a challenge--the more difficult the challenge, the sweeter the victory, as it were.

But I think with risk there tends to be the element of the unknown. We don’t know how it will turn out. Following the path less traveled can lead to many wonderful things. But that involves a little risk.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:50 am

I agree, Liz, risk and sacrifice are different. I have collections that have cost me quite a bit of money and effort, but I would not say they have involved risk as such. I would imagine taking risk and being successful is a special sort of "high".

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:17 am

nebraska wrote:I agree, Liz, risk and sacrifice are different.

Thank you for giving a name to what I was trying to say. You are right, sacrifice and risk are not the same things. And this brings me back to what gemini said, that maybe it is a gender issue. Men (or at least Alex & Jordy) were more into risk & adventure than Chloe. Risk is more like a game. I see it as similar to the purpose of hunting. Hunting is more about the chase, the capture, the game, than about getting one's dinner for the month.

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:11 pm

I think Alex and Jordy were more willing to take a risk to find their treasures. And yes it seems the male gender is more willing to take risks while Chloe was hunting and searching. But I do remember that it was Amanda (female) that found the real treasure - Mr. G's watch and she fulfilled the treasure hunt for all the children by placing it in Alex's pocket.

But back to answering your question - yes finding treasure whether it is material or accomplishment can bring risks. When treasure is found it is always worth the risk! But if not found it can be an adventure and/or a learning experience.

deppaura

Unread postby deppaura » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:07 pm

My comment borrowed on...And the risk can be enjoyed, if you know what you are doing. "Risk" taking involves good evaluation and application, courage and confidence with perhaps a bit of luck.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:40 am

deppaura wrote:My comment borrowed on...And the risk can be enjoyed, if you know what you are doing. "Risk" taking involves good evaluation and application, courage and confidence with perhaps a bit of luck.

The opportune moment, as it were? :grin:

Return to “Attica”