Attica Question #12 ~ Symbolism

by Garry Kilworth

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Attica Question #12 ~ Symbolism

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:40 am

This novel represents a departure from my previous juvenile fantasies which were, in the main, animal fantasies. I conceived Attica while actually working in an attic - it was where I wrote my books and shared my day with my cat Dylan, who often slept in my desk drawer. I used to stare into the blackness of the attic around me and wonder about what was actually in there. Every Friday night my wife and I go for a curry with Andrew and Cheryl, our good friends, to wind down the week. One curry night I talked with Andrew about the attic and the thoughts I had about writing a novel based on an attic as large as a continent: Andrew added some interesting avenues to explore. And this is a novel about exploration, of fantasy places and of the mind. I suppose the attic represents my head in which I take these strange journeys, attics and heads being at the top of their respective bodies, being both full of junk and seeming both to be infinite. Some of the characters in the book have been drawn from real life - another departure for me - the children are my grandchildren of the same names, the parents are a young married couple we are very fond of, the three-legged cat Nelson was the pet of a friend in Hong Kong where we used to live and Mr. Grantham is probably me. I am talking about the 'characters' of these people and cats here, not about their situations in life, nor their physical appearance. Jordy, for example, is a very sporty grandson. Alex likes engineering. Chloe likes books, and so on. And Nelson wasn't ginger at all, but a big fluffy beast who looked as if his fur was unravelling. ~ Garry Kilworth

Do you see any other symbolism in the story? Do you have any other comments on this quote from the author?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

ladylinn

Re: Attica Question #12 ~ Symbolism

Unread postby ladylinn » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:57 pm

I believe that Mr. Kilworth gives us symbolism at its' best. Not only did the story give symbolism with great imagination but also included those closest to his heart. :smiliewithhearts:

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:04 pm

The symbolism it that attica is a world. The story is very like a trek across a jungle, desert, or a sea. It was a fantasy version of the real world, with its own rules, citizens, and law and order.

Ok this may be hard to put into words but the fantasy part like sewing machines, scissors, dolls, all coming to life was a mixture of real attic items living a life of their own, and real children exiled from the real world. The real children were symbolic as the lure of attica and what could happen if you stayed too long. The items that came to life were either helpful or threatening and symbolize the adventure of the journey.
To me Mr. Grantham is the loose link. He knew of the attic but lived in the real world. Is that why Garry thought of himself as Mr Grantham?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:12 pm

I am having a hard time coming to grips with this question, because it seems like it asks things we have already talked about :dunce:

I did find it interesting that Garry thought of himself as Mr Grantham, but I am not sure what that means - maybe only that he knew what was up there and what it meant, but let the next generation experience it for themselves.

I am looking forward to reading more of you'se guy's answers because I am blank. (I should not be talking gangster, it is talk like a pirate day!)

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:29 pm

nebraska wrote: (I should not be talking gangster, it is talk like a pirate day!)

Avast, me hearties! Tis true what Nebraska says. We must atone!
If any of you mateys savvy the real gist of this tale, you are deservin' of a bit of rum.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

trygirl

Unread postby trygirl » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:44 pm

The attic is a great symbol of a person's higher self. I know that in dream analysis, the house represents a body and each level a different part. Therefore, the attic is the head, or driving force. The children move across the attic, each experiencing their own metamorphosis, but none more than Alex. The attic then becomes a place of a transcendence, a higher plane of self-awareness. Growing up is more than physical.
Last edited by trygirl on Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I'm not a brand, I'm more of a variety. - Johnny Depp

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:59 pm

Wow, trygirl! I like that. Like we’ve said many times, you Noodlemantras open up our minds to different ways of thinking.

Nebraska, I agree that we have discussed symbolism in other questions. Maybe that’s why it’s so hard for me to answer. But I do feel there is more that we haven’t uncovered yet.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

deppaura

Unread postby deppaura » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:51 pm

I think I have gone a bit loopey..? too. I will just throw out the idea of " time." I am borrowing from a reviewer's observations concerning the analogue world. The "old world" versus today with the computer,etc. Attica houses memories, things stored, not used and maybe forgotten. Sub conscious? Traveling backwards on a "time-life" journey? These may only be parts of the whole. O.K., now I am tired and wonder if I am clutching at straws?? :-/Maybe I'm just talking to myself, but the idea of time and clocks running backwards still intrigues me. Things were placed in the attic at different times, years, moving back from the time the kids enter the space. So they
travel that path moving backwards experiencing the results of these items having been tossed and seemingly forgotten. I guess that's where it reminds me of the subconscious. O.K., enough for my mind now!

Return to “Attica”