by Garry Kilworth

Moderator: Liz

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Re: Attica Question #8 ~ Attica as a Character

Unread postby Theresa » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:02 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
nebraska wrote:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Very interesting! But you would reconcile the actual physical souvenirs they each came home with?

I was wondering if it presented itself differently to different people, using worlds that were meaningful to the individual.

They may have gone into a "real" attic and that spurred the imagination -- but brought trinkets down from the "real" attic.

I get it. I was thinking you meant the attic was existed in their heads only. :dunce: That sort of goes along with my thinking that you were lured to different parts of the attic depending on what issues you needed to face and resolve.

deppaura wrote:Is Attica the protagonist in this story? Hope it's o.k. to mention Mr. Grantham, somewhat of a sorcerer. He sent the children on this adventure, albeit with some concern, He KNEW the attic. I am reminded of myths, stories throughout time with age old messages regarding passages through life. At times, Attica seemed cathedral, spiritual. Myths deal with rewarding challenges. Go through the dark to see the light. Was Attica the big bad world? The unknown in a child's mind? The children certainly held up to the test. Anyway I found it fascinating, even with the negativity. I'd love to hear a young persons take on the story.

It's absolutely fine to mention Mr. Grahtham, deppaura. We didn't include him as a stand alone question. I thought it was interesting that he knew what he was sending the children into, and I think the reader senses that when he tells them about it. Actually that was a bit of a comforting thought when the children were lost. Surely Mr. Grantham wouldn't have sent them into grave danger! Interesting takes on what the attic might have represented. We will get into symbolism, etc. I would love to hear a young person's take as well!

Of course, under no circumstances can I pass as a young person, but my guess is that they would take the story at face value. The attic would be exactly as it was described, no discussion necessary.

I just think back to when my niece was younger and the first Harry Potter book was released. She would talk about Hogwarts as a real place, (and the children as real children), never questioning how or why things did what they did. Even though she was completely aware that it was all fiction and didn't really exist, while she was reading the book, it did.

I think a young person would read this book in exactly the same way. Garry has described the attic so descriptively that it has shape and form and substance...and occasionally, spite.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:10 am

nebraska wrote:They may have gone into a "real" attic and that spurred the imagination -- but brought trinkets down from the "real" attic.

I get it. I was thinking you meant the attic was existed in their heads only. :dunce: That sort of goes along with my thinking that you were lured to different parts of the attic depending on what issues you needed to face and resolve.

I think they went into a "real" attic to look for Mr. Grantham's watch. I think
"Attic" was probably a dream that one or all of the children used to work through their problems, and thus the attic took on whatever personality was needed to accomplish that goal.

Yep, for me Harry Potter's world was pretty much real, too. :blush:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:18 pm

nebraska wrote:
nebraska wrote:They may have gone into a "real" attic and that spurred the imagination -- but brought trinkets down from the "real" attic.

I think they went into a "real" attic to look for Mr. Grantham's watch. I think
"Attic" was probably a dream that one or all of the children used to work through their problems, and thus the attic took on whatever personality was needed to accomplish that goal.

Yep, for me Harry Potter's world was pretty much real, too. :blush:

Interesting....
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:00 pm

WOW! I was gone for a couple of days and wow - this subject really has many sides to it. :perplexed: I thought the attic was filled with memories and things discarded thruout lives of former residents below. Mr. Grantham knew the children would find many adventrues there when he sent them. But for the attic to have life and personality - I felt that must have come from the Children's minds. Oh I don't know - the more I think about it the more confused I become!!! :lol: Fun to think in all directions.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:30 pm

ladylinn wrote:WOW! I was gone for a couple of days and wow - this subject really has many sides to it. :perplexed: I thought the attic was filled with memories and things discarded thruout lives of former residents below. Mr. Grantham knew the children would find many adventrues there when he sent them. But for the attic to have life and personality - I felt that must have come from the Children's minds. Oh I don't know - the more I think about it the more confused I become!!! :lol: Fun to think in all directions.

Just curious....is it just the attic that you're not sure was alive? What about the inhabitants like the board-comber and bore-trekker?

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:03 pm

I think the attic was alive with memories of its' contents. Houses have personalities so must the attics. But I do think the house and attic takes on the personality of its' inhabitants. As for the board-comers and bore trekker and other attic dwellers, I believe they were from the children's imaginations. Great discussion and no simple answers! The more I ponder on this - the more my thoughts seem to go in circles!

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:16 pm

ladylinn wrote:I think the attic was alive with memories of its' contents. Houses have personalities so must the attics. But I do think the house and attic takes on the personality of its' inhabitants. As for the board-comers and bore trekker and other attic dwellers, I believe they were from the children's imaginations. Great discussion and no simple answers! The more I ponder on this - the more my thoughts seem to go in circles!

Another perspective I had not thought of, ladylinn! Cirlces indeed! :hypnotic: I love all these different thoughts on point of view and ideas on the attic. A :hatsoff: to the Noodlemantras!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

shadowydog

Unread postby shadowydog » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:44 pm

Well now, I have not read the book. But I do remember attics. I would wonder how many in here live, or have lived, in houses with attics. They are not common in todays world. But being ancient in most of your eyes, I remember as a child exploring with wonder the contents of the attic of the house I grew up in. We did not own the house, and most of what was up there was from people who lived there before us. It was dark and mysterious. I remember wondering about who had lived there before and left these treasures. I can see a group of young children (as I was at the time) going into a "wonder" world that existed only in their imaginations and not in real time or the real world and could only be found among the "items" in that attic?????

So - is this story about a real place or the "dream" world of a group of children rummaging around a place with special things about special people that would evoke special memories that maybe were spectral images in the fertile minds of children???
I have nothing to do and all day to do it in.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:52 pm

Well, that's the big question, shadowydog! Is Attica real, or imaginary?

I'm on the Attica-is-a-real-place side.
:bigwink:

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:45 am

Of course its imaginary but just as real as each child makes it.

I took the attic as just as real as each character accepted it to be. It is a childs story after all so we must not let reality interfere with the fantasy. I took the atticans as real as well. It was after all explained to us that they were once human children before the attic claimed them.

I guess that is my answer as to whether the attic is a character. Yes, it was a combination of all the imagination could hold and the longer you stayed the more it took a hold of you. It seems to be a place of escape for troubled children and that is why our three adventurers made it back. They were really not that troubled. They had their doubts and trials like the children that were claimed by the attic but in the end they were happy to leave. The attic only keeps those who want to stay.

As for Mr Grantham, I think he remembered the attic as a place of adventure that was also fearful. He never thought to return in all the years he lived in the house.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

suec

Unread postby suec » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:58 am

I accepted Attica as a real place and it does have a character to it, like a mind. A sense of self-preservation, for a start. Also, Alex says something about that if you like Attica, it likes you back, which strikes me as being typical pf people generally. It has dark, malicious and dangerous elements, but also its friends and helpers. So to me, it is like a person with its good and bad impulses. But the good ones win. Whenever the children need help, it is provided, and they find what they set out to find - and lots more besides. They leave with quite a few treasures. Perhaps the reason Chloe doesn't see the sprites is because she doesn't need to, as she's that way inclined anyway, with her imagination. And in the end, the attic grants her that wish too. So overall, I don't think it's spiteful.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:39 am

I initially thought it was spiteful (or could be) but realized that it was not entirely so towards the end of the book. And now I'm just confused. I don't know what to think. :hatterspin: I've enjoyed reading everyone's take on it. Noodlemantra's, as always, you stretch my mind. :cool:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:42 am

shadowydog wrote:Well now, I have not read the book. But I do remember attics. I would wonder how many in here live, or have lived, in houses with attics. They are not common in todays world. But being ancient in most of your eyes, I remember as a child exploring with wonder the contents of the attic of the house I grew up in. We did not own the house, and most of what was up there was from people who lived there before us. It was dark and mysterious. I remember wondering about who had lived there before and left these treasures. I can see a group of young children (as I was at the time) going into a "wonder" world that existed only in their imaginations and not in real time or the real world and could only be found among the "items" in that attic?????

So - is this story about a real place or the "dream" world of a group of children rummaging around a place with special things about special people that would evoke special memories that maybe were spectral images in the fertile minds of children???

The attics in my houses have been more like crawl spaces. But as a child, the idea of an attic was always scary to me. When I thought of an attic I'd think of spiders and ghosts. I would not have been adventurous enough, as a child, to explore one.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:17 pm

We have two attics in our house, one over the garage and one over the 2nd floor. They certainly aren't big enough to get lost in but they are handy for storage but I admit I've never been in them!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Attica”