Attica Question #3 ~ Alex

by Garry Kilworth

Moderator: Liz

gemini

Re: Attica Question #3 ~ Alex

Unread postby gemini » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:21 am

Since I am arriving late to today's question I see many of you saw Alex differently than I did. At least until I got to DITHOTs post which I agree with. Alex, even from the beginning was my favorite character. He was quiet and seemed brooding but it was clear that he was intelligent and reasoning out how things work so it wasn't that his mind was not occupied.

To me, even before he started to become the adventurer, it was plain there was more to Alex than his first impression. When his brother begins to feel Alex was competing with him, I thought it amusing that the others were just beginning to notice him as more than their baby brother. Alex was not only trying to reason out how mechanical things work, but how life works.

Alex seemed to be looking for something from the beginning since he was the most easily absorbed into the lifestyle of the board-comber and bortrekker. He was truly looking for a way to overcome his father's death and break out into the brave adventurer he was beneath his shell.

I never really thought he was indifferent to his siblings. It seemed more that he was overcome with the thought of being totally independent but when he finally did prove that he was, he felt free to go home.
Last edited by gemini on Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Garry

Unread postby Garry » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:09 am

Hi All - Magpie was closest to what I was thinking when I was writing about Alex, that the traumatic death of his father had caused him to withdraw into himself to protect himself and his emotions. It's not that he doesn't feel for his brother. He hides it. To be honest, aspergers never even crossed my mind. It should have done, but it didn't. Garry.

Garry

Unread postby Garry » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:12 am

Ah, I see I'm not supposed to put my name in the text box. Will remember that in future.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:46 am

Thank you for the insight, Garry. It is much appreciated! No worries about the name in your post. :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:14 pm

I decided that I needed to reread the book again for the third time...I wasn't remembering enough about the details to be able to answer. So I'm a wee bit late on this one...

I liked Alex. Well, to be honest, I liked all three kids. They were each very unique and strong in their own way, and I enjoyed getting to know them. Through most of the book, I thought it was very possible that Alex would stay in Attica...but when he began wavering about becoming a board-comber, I knew he would go home. Especially when he realized that he needed someone to talk to. I had forgotten about how affected he was by his father's death; I can see why the attic life called to him initially. All the changes and upheavals in his life over the past couple of years -- his father's death, his mother's remarriage, a new stepbrother, a move to a new house -- it was just one thing after another. Even with all the inhabitants of Attica around, I guess the solitude initially looked very appealing.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:25 pm

Garry, thanks for giving us your vision for Alex. I always find it interesting to hear the author’s intentions in regards to his characters or his plot or point of the story. :cool:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:29 pm

Theresa wrote:I decided that I needed to reread the book again for the third time...

Wow! I'm impressed! :dillingerhello: I probably should have read it a second time, but I don't have the time.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nila_admiresmr.depp

Unread postby nila_admiresmr.depp » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:15 am

It is so much fun to read all of your opinions and even get the author's perspective. I love this site!

I had mixed feelings towards Alex. I never didn't like him, but he did worry me. He kind of reminded me of my little brother in just wanting to do his own thing, something his siblings wouldn't do. I loved the character arch of Alex. He changed so much throughout the book, and yet, it all helped him to cope with the loss of his father. I could empathize with his desire not to need people, but I was glad that he realized it is not a good choice. No man is an island, as it were.
"With any part you play, there is a certain amount of yourself in it. There has to be; otherwise, it's just not acting. It's lying."

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:02 am

Liz wrote:
Theresa wrote:I decided that I needed to reread the book again for the third time...

Wow! I'm impressed! :dillingerhello: I probably should have read it a second time, but I don't have the time.

I am going to read, or at least skim through, the book a second time. I had trouble concentrating at times when I read it the first time and I think I really need a refresher!

Return to “Attica”