Attica Question #3 ~ Alex

by Garry Kilworth

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Attica Question #3 ~ Alex

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:54 am

Today, let's talk about Alex.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

trygirl

Re: Attica Question #3 ~ Alex

Unread postby trygirl » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:31 am

Alex is definitely not a charmer like sister. He probably would prefer a machine to people. But he is a likable kid, although his need to feel superior can be grating on those around him. Chloe might always have her nose buried in a book, but I think Alex is the socially isolated one. Besides his family, his other friends might all have gears for their faces. And I know Alex is a good little brother who loves his sister and is growing to love the new extended members. However, I'm sure his sister wishes he were a little more compassionate for Mr. Grantham. Alex wants to find the watch only for the secrets held inside the mechanical body. He needs a little imagination. This adventure is will be a good experience.
I'm not a brand, I'm more of a variety. - Johnny Depp

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:10 pm

I agree that Alex is a caring and loving brother to Chloe and is trying to find his place with his new older brother. He seemed to be a very private person within his own thoughts and likes. In the attic world he could bloom and grow as his independent and free spirited self with all the strange beings and experiences. As he did this he slipped further and further away from the important things in the real world. But in the end he found that being who you really are and who is important to you is much more solid than being something you are not. Good for you Alex - you really did alot of growing in the attic.

deppaura

Unread postby deppaura » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:38 pm

I loved it when Amanda called Alex, Alexander the Great! I enjoyed watching his transformations. I found him very intriguing, mysterious, interesting. And, his break through was so heartwarming when he finally faced the grief he had carried concerning his father's death. How it had affected his outlook and caused him to draw inward. Then, of course, he became the HERO! His evolution and movement towards emotional maturity was wonderful. I really enjoyed being with him.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:17 pm

I think Alex may have had a touch of Asperger's Syndrome.

Not pick up on social cues and may lack inborn social skills, such as being able to read others' body language, start or maintain a conversation, and take turns talking.
Appear to lack empathy.
[His reaction to his stepbrother's broken arm!]
Be preoccupied with only one or few interests, which he or she may be very knowledgeable about.
Some traits that are typical of Asperger's syndrome, such as attention to detail and focused interests, can increase chances of university and career success. Many people with Asperger's seem to be fascinated with technology, and a common career choice is engineering.

I'm not saying he wasn't a likeable character and that he didn't love his sister in his own way.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:38 pm

Interesting, fansmom. Wonder what says about the dh, he's an engineer. :lol:

I found Alex to be the most interesting character, maybe because his character changed and grew the most. I was worried about him in the beginning because he was so withdrawn into himself and was having to deal with a lot of change in his young life. It was easy to see why he was a good candidate to become at Attican. I honestly didn't know what would become of his character and what he would decide to do and you could feel his struggle with the decision.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:44 pm

Interesting, fansmom. There are some similarities, aren’t there? The thought had never occurred to me while I was reading the book. This is what’s so great about these discussions. My mind is always being opened to different possibilities and new ideas and insights.

Ladylinn, Alex definitely matured during his time in the attic. Such a considerable amount of growth in such a short period of time. ;-)

All good points everyone. :cool: Thank you all for bringing out the good in him. I spent so much time being angry with him for his apparent lack of emotion and familial ties, that it clouded my opinion throughout the entire story.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:48 pm

Liz wrote:I spent so much time being angry with him for his apparent lack of emotion and familial ties, that it clouded my opinion throughout the entire story.
It was his reaction to his brother's broken arm that really made me think he was an Aspie. Such a complete lack of empathy! :ohno: (I don't have the book here at work so I can't quote it directly.)

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:56 pm

fansmom wrote:
Liz wrote:I spent so much time being angry with him for his apparent lack of emotion and familial ties, that it clouded my opinion throughout the entire story.
It was his reaction to his brother's broken arm that really made me think he was an Aspie. Such a complete lack of empathy! :ohno: (I don't have the book here at work so I can't quote it directly.)

Here's the quote:

'Does it hurt much?' asked Alex, almost as if he were curious rather than feeling sorry for his step-brother. ‘Is there much pain?’

After Jordy explained it was a numbing pain, Alex then busied himself with stamping on those last few imp inks that now scuttled away from Jordy.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:20 pm

:hatsoff: Thanks, Liz!

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:36 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Interesting, fansmom. Wonder what says about the dh, he's an engineer. :lol:
Seriously, sometimes it can be difficult to tell a self-absorbed person (especially--sorry--men) from someone with Asperger's. My SIL, who has her doctorate in psychology and is a practicing psychologist, says her brother (my dh) has Asperger's. (I've never told him that, but it's a pretty safe bet he won't read it here.) She hasn't seen much of him in the past 25 years, and I have, and I don't believe he's an Aspie.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:25 pm

And I certainly don't mean to make light of the disorder. The son of one of the ladies I used to work with has a severe case of Asperger's and working in a school I see much of the entire autism spectrum. In the case of our dh's, you're probably right...just men! ;-)

Wow! What a ride!

magpie

Unread postby magpie » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:24 pm

I don't have any experience with Asperger's, so I wasn't seeing Alex in that light. I found it interesting how the author described Jordy's & Alex' reactions to their respective family experiences. When he revealed the circumstances surrounding Alex' father's death & the crowd standing round, I could completely understand his anger & withdrawal from people then. Having 2 parents in the medical profession, he would naturally have thought there would be someone there who could help his dad. I thought that was portrayed very well.
I'm having a thought here. . . .
. . if you simply try to tell the truth you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it.
--C.S. Lewis

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:08 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Today, let's talk about Alex.

It is tempting to read everyone else's answers before I give mine, but I am not going to do that. Hope I am coherent.

I found Alex to be the most adventuresome of the children. He was really "into" the happenings of the attic, to the point where he was almost consumed by it (which I found a bit frightening). He seemed to be most open-minded and that made him the most approachable for the permanent residents of the attic. The others wanted mostly to find a way home (although they did want to take the watch back with them) but Alex wanted to savor every bit of the adventure. Because of that he made the story more fun for me.

deppaura

Unread postby deppaura » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:41 pm

magpie wrote:I don't have any experience with Asperger's, so I wasn't seeing Alex in that light. I found it interesting how the author described Jordy's & Alex' reactions to their respective family experiences. When he revealed the circumstances surrounding Alex' father's death & the crowd standing round, I could completely understand his anger & withdrawal from people then. Having 2 parents in the medical profession, he would naturally have thought there would be someone there who could help his dad. I thought that was portrayed very well.

I agree..and felt that "late" revelation explained Alex..to us and to himself...The Attica experience became totally therapeutic for Alex.

Return to “Attica”