It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Attica Tidbit #1 - Garry Kilworth
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:43 pm 

Wow. This just gets better and better. I am sure that having Oprah choose Attica for her book discussion is great news, but I'll bet we enjoy our discussion more.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:04 pm 
JDZ Web Designer

gemini wrote:
Wow. This just gets better and better. I am sure that having Oprah choose Attica for her book discussion is great news, but I'll bet we enjoy our discussion more.

Oh, I thought he meant us when he said Oprah...not the 'other' Oprah! Now you've got me wondering, gemini -- since Oprah Winfrey hasn't publicly announced her new book club book yet.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:30 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Theresa wrote:
gemini wrote:

Oh, I thought he meant us when he said Oprah...not the 'other' Oprah! Now you've got me wondering, gemini -- since Oprah Winfrey hasn't publicly announced her new book club book yet.

I'm pretty sure he is referring to us--I hope. But that would be quite a coincidence if she was doing Attica too. I guess we'll find out on Sept. 18, when she announces it.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:30 pm 

Liz wrote:
Theresa wrote:
gemini wrote:

I'm pretty sure he is referring to us--I hope. But that would be quite a coincidence if she was doing Attica too. I guess we'll find out on Sept. 18, when she announces it.

Ooops. I should have egg on my face for thinking of her first over us. I am so used to calling us Noodlemantras that I forget the Oprah part. :blush:

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:28 am 
JDZ Moderator

gemini wrote:
Liz wrote:
Theresa wrote:

Ooops. I should have egg on my face for thinking of her first over us. I am so used to calling us Noodlemantras that I forget the Oprah part. :blush:

No egg. You are not alone. I reacted the same way when I first read it.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:08 pm 

I stumbled on this page browsing around for Attica.

It is Garry Kilworth news and updates page.
One interesting thing (out of many read) was that Garry is currently writing a follow-up called Jigsaw.
I wonder how much fun it was to ride a Honda 110cc motorbike across the Australian Outback?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:22 pm 

I was wondering around amazon and found this comment from Garry about his book. I find it very interesting that he likes himself as Mr. Grantham.
Quote:
From the Author
This novel represents a departure from my previous juvenile fantasies which were, in the main, animal fantasies. I conceived Attica while actually working in an attic - it was where I wrote my books and shared my day with my cat Dylan, who often slept in my desk drawer. I used to stare into the blackness of the attic around me and wonder about what was actually in there. Every Friday night my wife and I go for a curry with Andrew and Cheryl, our good friends, to wind down the week. One curry night I talked with Andrew about the attic and the thoughts I had about writing a novel based on an attic as large as a continent: Andrew added some interesting avenues to explore. And this is a novel about exploration, of fantasy places and of the mind. I suppose the attic represents my head in which I take these strange journeys, attics and heads being at the top of their respective bodies, being both full of junk and seeming both to be infinite. Some of the characters in the book have been drawn from real life - another departure for me - the children are my grandchildren of the same names, the parents are a young married couple we are very fond of, the three-legged cat Nelson was the pet of a friend in Hong Kong where we used to live and Mr Grantham is probably me. I am talking about the 'characters' of these people and cats here, not about their situations in life, nor their physical appearance. Jordy, for example, is a very sporty grandson. Alex likes engineering. Chloe likes books, and so on. And Nelson wasn't ginger at all, but a big fluffy beast who looked as if his fur was unravelling.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:46 pm 

gemini, how did you know that tomorrow's question uses this quote? :grin:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:19 pm 

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
gemini, how did you know that tomorrow's question uses this quote? :grin:

Must be a little of the twilight zone or deja vu that Liz and fansmom are always talking about.

Profile WWW  

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2