Dillinger Question #5 ~ Object Lesson in Hero Worship

by G.Russell Giradin & William J. Helmer

Moderator: Liz

ladylinn

Re: Dillinger Question #5 ~ Object Lesson in Hero Worship

Unread postby ladylinn » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:46 pm

I think things have changed a great deal since the depression era and Dillinger era. During the depression era the little people had to look out for themselves against what we might term today as "big brother". People were desperate and when they saw someone attacking the establishment - banks that were putting common people out of their homes - they cheered for him. But they also had to teach their children that a life of crime has but only one outcome. Failure.
Today as people find themselves in circumstances, they know from past history that a Dillinger is not the answer.
Books and movies have romanticed "bad guys" such as Dillinger, Jesse James, Poncho Villa, Bonnie & Clyde etc. - But the bottom line is - life of crime doesn't pay - but John Dillinger is sure a great subject for a movie with Johnny Depp!! :lol: :love:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Re: Dillinger Question #5 ~ Object Lesson in Hero Worship

Unread postby Liz » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:07 pm

gemini wrote:Rereading I see I missed the last question. "Have things changed much?"
Funny how history repeats itself. With Americans loosing the equity of their homes with the housing market fiasco, loss of pension 401 Ks with the stock market downturns, and the banking and auto industry becoming a tax payer paid welfare system, and our huge indebtedness to other countries, we might soon be feeling a lot like those poverty sticken Americans of Dillingers era.
Sorry for the downer but the comparison just can't be ignored. The depression era folks had the same opinion of banks and industry as we do now.

Sad, but true.

And ladylinn is right in saying that despite our romanticizing and idolizing JD types, the point is that crime does not pay. And I think we all hope that our kids get it. The point is to not take the risk like Pierpont did, like you pointed out, gemini.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “Dillinger: The Untold Story”