Dillinger Question #1 ~ Presentation

by G.Russell Giradin & William J. Helmer

Moderator: Liz

gemini

Re: Dillinger Question #1 ~ Presentation

Unread postby gemini » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:01 am

Ooops I nearly missed the first question. That's what I get for not checking in regularly enough between book discussions.
I agree with what you all said about both books. I also was glad that I read Public Enemies first and had all the facts before I got into the more personal side of Dillinger. I also agree with those who said that Burroughs PE was a much more fact filled book of the era and all the famous Public Enemies of which Dillinger was only one. Some of the others lives were just as interesting to read about.
The Girardin/Helmer book was much more entertaining and personal. I may have enjoyed it more having just finished getting all the true facts before I read this version. I got much more attached to Dillinger reading this book and I understand why Johnny read it while filming. I think it was Giradin's writing that got to me so I was glad that Helmer left it intact and just added his two cents.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Baxendale Guitar

Unread postby Baxendale Guitar » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:12 pm

First off I want to apologize to all for not being here.
I have been away on vacation for the past Month.
I wanted to read and be apart of this book discussion.
Sorry I'm late.

I enjoyed the book immensely.

The Girardin/Helmer book was much more personal to me as well.
It filled all the holes that Bryan Burrough PE book had.

After reading the Bryan Burrough book I was eager to know more about who he was as a person, his true inner personal thoughts.
From reading the Girardin/Helmer book, it was more enjoyable to read.
Yes, it was laid out like a storybook, but that's ok with me.
While I was reading I could see where he came from and what kind of person he was.
BG
~ “There's nothing - you know - nothing else like music. Nothing that touches us on that, uh, that deep level. Music can open up so many emotions that we didn't know we had. Music touches us, emotionally, where words alone can't.” JohnnyDepp~

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:55 pm

Glad to see you post, BG. I am in ONBC withdrawal.

I am currently reading J Edgar Hoover, the Man and His Secrets which Bryan Burroughs recommended. It is also filling in a few of the holes for me.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:59 pm

Hi BG, no apologies necessary. I'm glad you are weighing in. I agree that Helmer's book filled in the gaps, which was something I think we were thirsting for. I see we still can't get enough. Right, nebraska? Glad to see you.

BG please feel free to give your :twocents: on any of these questions. And look for the Q&A with Helmer to be posted within the next week, hopefully.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Baxendale Guitar

Unread postby Baxendale Guitar » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:21 am

Thanks LIZ.
I enjoy reading everyone's take on each question.
Thank you everyone :kiss:
~ “There's nothing - you know - nothing else like music. Nothing that touches us on that, uh, that deep level. Music can open up so many emotions that we didn't know we had. Music touches us, emotionally, where words alone can't.” JohnnyDepp~

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:04 pm

Baxendale Guitar wrote:
Sorry I'm late.
I enjoyed the book immensely.
The Girardin/Helmer book was much more personal to me as well.
It filled all the holes that Bryan Burrough PE book had.
After reading the Bryan Burrough book I was eager to know more about who he was as a person, his true inner personal thoughts.
From reading the Girardin/Helmer book, it was more enjoyable to read.
Yes, it was laid out like a storybook, but that's ok with me.
While I was reading I could see where he came from and what kind of person he was.
BG

Like Nebraska I am also in ONBC withdrawal and am happy to see more posts. Its never to late to post. We've all read the books and still want to hear your opinion. I whole heartedly agree with your feeling on the two books.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Return to “Dillinger: The Untold Story”