It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Which of the following books would you prefer to read following Attica?
Poll ended at Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:00 am
Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll 83%  83%  [ 30 ]
The Dark Volume by Gordon Dahlquist 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Villa Incognito by Tom Robbins 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 36

Post subject: Re: ONBC Poll - You Choose Our Next Book
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:09 pm 

Oh no. It's always hard for me to choose. :perplexed:
Alice--it would be interesting to read it as an adult, although I must admit that it doesn't have a place in my heart. It was always just a little too weird for me, and after reading a bio of the author (in conjunction with a bio of Barrie, back when we read J.M. Barrie and the Lost Boys) I think he was even weirder than his writing.
The Dark Volume--the only strikes against it are that I'd have to buy it, since the library system doesn't own it, and that I thought that Glass Books needed tightening.
Villa Incognito--those Amazon reviews are all over the place, aren't they? Ninety-nine of them and they're pretty evenly spread from one star to five. And the synopsis makes it sound equally all over the place.
Looks as though there'd be a lot to discuss with any of those choices.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:16 am 
JDZ Moderator

Fansmom & gemini, I'm not good at making these decisions, either. And like marthamartha, I'd like to do them all....and who's to say we won't.....someday? I still have yet to make my choice.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:04 am 

ALICE - definitely - ALICE!!! I just downloaded it to my mp3 player - summers are for children's lit. - reading for the sheer joy and love of it! definitely - ALICE!!! Somehow as a kid I missed it all together. I didn't read it and didn't see any movie versions of it so I am eager to see why its characters have become so iconic and why references to it can be found everywhere.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:32 am 

I have to vote for Alice as well. It seems more timely to me than the other two with the movie on the horizon. We read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory so it will not be our first children's book here. It is always interesting to read the "real" thing and then see how the movie compares.

But, as others have suggested, I would love to read all three.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:23 am 

Now you know why Liz and I had to ask for a vote. We couldn't decide either! :lol:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:07 pm 

I choose "Alice" because of the film and it will be interesting to try and figure how Johnny and Tim pull and expand on characters. Have not read this since childhood. Imagine I will have a different perspective now. Also perhaps a lighter read for summer. (Until Liz and dithot start asking questions). :lol: Just kidding for your questions and insight have made me a better reader.

Would also like to discuss Dark Volume as I have read it. More adventures for Miss Temple, Chang and Svenson. A heavier read for winter maybe?? But Glass Book is a must read before Dark Volume.

Have not read Villa but will be putting it on my "to read" shelf.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:51 am 

Accckkkk....I knew I should have acted earlier....Amazon is temporarily out of stock......I have to think that the rush to order has something to do with ONBC and Johnny ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:46 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Charlene wrote:
Accckkkk....I knew I should have acted earlier....Amazon is temporarily out of stock......I have to think that the rush to order has something to do with ONBC and Johnny ;)

Charlene, if this book is the winner of the poll we won't be discussing it until probably October or November. So you do have some time to locate it. I've seen it various places online. And if it turns out to be the choice, and it goes out of print, then we'll find another edition or version of Alice to read. There are certainly enough of them out there. :-)

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:14 pm 
JDZ Web Designer

Liz wrote:
Charlene wrote:

Charlene, if this book is the winner of the poll we won't be discussing it until probably October or November. So you do have some time to locate it. I've seen it various places online. And if it turns out to be the choice, and it goes out of print, then we'll find another edition or version of Alice to read. There are certainly enough of them out there. :-)

A really nice thing is that the book is available online -- free. I've found ebooks, downloadable pdf files, online versions, and audio versions. So there are a ton of options to be able to read the book.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:11 pm 

I've just voted for Alice. I'm another who hasn't read it since, oh, probably middle school. Jabberwocky always gave me a headache and I didn't like the Disney version. Probably because of the baby oysters. :ohno:

On the other hand, I just can't wait to see what Tim Burton has added to his interpretation. I don't mean the back story, but the emphasis. The Mad Hatter might give me bad dreams, but Johnny's enthusiasm is contagious. So, reading and reviewing seems like a good rev for the movie.

I've also read a good bit of kid lit this summer and I'm still in the mood for it. The other two books sound better for the fall and winter and a blanky with tea on the couch.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:12 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Ya know, I'm not sure if I ever read the book. :-? I have this memory of starting it and bailing. Believe it or not, I hated to read as a child. On the other hand, when I was a little girl, the girl who dressed up as Alice at Fairyland in Oakland was my idol. :notworthy:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:24 pm 

:wave: :ONBC:

I haven't joined any of the book discussions before, despite being a total bookworm, and would love to join in with this one. I've voted for Alice. I'm totally going back on my promise to myself (which I only made last week!) to never again read a book prior to the release of a movie version of it. This was mainly because I hadn't realised just how much they would change the timelines on Public Enemies which I finished reading just a few days before the film was released. I spent vitually the whole movie thinking that things were not as they had actually happened. It's a very annoying habit of mine :banghead: I suffered the same thing with Charlie & The Chocolate Factory which I had read and adored as a child & was not expecting Wonka to be as different as he was. With Alice I am approaching it very differently. I don't have the same attachment as I did with CATCF having never read either of the books before now. My main reason for wanting to read AIW & TTLG now is to know the characters & understand all the liitle things Tim will inevitably add in to the film. The big difference this time is the full knowledge that Tim is not making a movie of the books as they are written, but simply using the characters & settings to make his interpretation of what would happen to Alice if she went back years later.

I'm really looking forward to the movie. As I read the words 'Tim Burton to make Alice In Wonderland', the very first image in my mind was of Johnny wearing the Mad Hatter's hat, before there was any hint that Johnny was even involved. I just know that this is going to be one of my (many) favourite roles he plays. :yahoo:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:27 pm 

Poppet wrote:
This was mainly because I hadn't realised just how much they would change the timelines on Public Enemies which I finished reading just a few days before the film was released. I spent vitually the whole movie thinking that things were not as they had actually happened. It's a very annoying habit of mine
I'm with you on the changes, Poppet. Sometimes I wish I didn't read the sources before the movies come out, so that I wouldn't sit in the comfy movie seat and think, "No, that's not right," but I keep my mouth shut, so I only annoy myself!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:40 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Poppet wrote:
:wave: :ONBC:

I haven't joined any of the book discussions before, despite being a total bookworm, and would love to join in with this one. I've voted for Alice. I'm totally going back on my promise to myself (which I only made last week!) to never again read a book prior to the release of a movie version of it. This was mainly because I hadn't realised just how much they would change the timelines on Public Enemies which I finished reading just a few days before the film was released. I spent vitually the whole movie thinking that things were not as they had actually happened. It's a very annoying habit of mine :banghead: I suffered the same thing with Charlie & The Chocolate Factory which I had read and adored as a child & was not expecting Wonka to be as different as he was. With Alice I am approaching it very differently. I don't have the same attachment as I did with CATCF having never read either of the books before now. My main reason for wanting to read AIW & TTLG now is to know the characters & understand all the liitle things Tim will inevitably add in to the film. The big difference this time is the full knowledge that Tim is not making a movie of the books as they are written, but simply using the characters & settings to make his interpretation of what would happen to Alice if she went back years later.

I'm really looking forward to the movie. As I read the words 'Tim Burton to make Alice In Wonderland', the very first image in my mind was of Johnny wearing the Mad Hatter's hat, before there was any hint that Johnny was even involved. I just know that this is going to be one of my (many) favourite roles he plays. :yahoo:

Poppet, let me first say :welcome: to ONBC. I am so glad you will be joining us for Alice (assuming it wins).

I totally understand how you felt in PE. I felt the same way when I saw Finding Neverland the first time. I found myself getting very annoyed with Michael Mann and feeling sorry for Bryan Burrough. On the other hand, I have to remember 2 things:

1. One is that PE, the film, is a Hollywood production based on Public Enemies, not a documentary.

2. I got over FN on my 2nd viewing. So I’m sure I will do the same with PE (which I will be seeing again in about 5 hours).

As frustrated as I can get sometimes, it won’t keep me from reading a book prior to the film. I’ve been doing it for years. And I prefer discussing it in that order. Sometimes a film can be spot on. I can think of 2. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:27 pm 

I'm definitely interested in joining the book club this time around as well, I read Public Enemies before the film and was glad I did, I felt it really helped me understand the movie better. I've never really gotten around to joining many book clubs, so I'm really excited for this.

Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3  Next