Security Question

Post them here. NOT A FORUM TO DISCUSS Johnny DEPP.
stroch

Security Question

Unread postby stroch » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:53 pm

I haven't logged on for a couple of weeks because Chrome has been telling me that the site is not secure when I try to do so, The address bar even has a warning before the www. Just wondering why. I have been afraid to log on but have done so to ask for clarification...never got the message before, and have changed nothing on my computer.
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Security Question

Unread postby Theresa » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:04 pm

I think that's a new thing on Chrome. All it means is that our information is not encrypted. It's private because we do have personal info password protected...just not encrypted.

justintime

Security Question

Unread postby justintime » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:06 pm

I have gotten the same message, stroch, when I log in through either Firefox or gooogle chrome on my desktop - not on my iPad. I use Safari on my iPad and have never gotten any warnings of that nature.
Last edited by justintime on Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Security Question

Unread postby Theresa » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:09 pm

I just Googled the question, and it happened with one of the latest versions of Chrome. It's going to show now on any site that isn't https:// now. Our site is just http:// because we don't have an encryption key set up so that passwords are 'scrambled' if anyone tries to break into our site.

I'll have to look into what needs to be done to update us, or if that's something that we even need to do, since we don't have financial information on our site (no credit card numbers, banking numbers, etc)

stroch

Security Question

Unread postby stroch » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:31 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. Guess all is well, because my PW here is unique to the site. I've missed following the daily thread, and had a few urgent remarks I wanted to make that I've now forgotten!
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.

St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

In-too-Depp

Security Question

Unread postby In-too-Depp » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:38 am

I think several companies are doing this now, as others have mentioned Firefox now has a warning when logging into websites, actually I sometimes find it useful.
And Wit, was his vain frivolous pretence
Of pleasing others, at his own expense

Rochester ,"Satyr" on Man

justintime

Security Question

Unread postby justintime » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:43 am

In-too-Depp wrote:I think several companies are doing this now, as others have mentioned Firefox now has a warning when logging into websites, actually I sometimes find it useful.

Yes, I do pay attention when I see it, and don't use those sites. I was surprised when it popped up for the Zone. The warning is quite intimidating and I wasn't expecting it for here. Since I've retired, I don't use my desktop often and hadn't logged in here for some time via Firefox or Chrome. I did try following the suggested alternative but it didn't work and the next warning was a bit more intense! For whatever reason, Safari hasn't felt the need to go that route yet so I've been using my iPad instead (ha - the path of least resistance I guess). Glad stroch brought it up, though.
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

Return to “Questions & Suggestions”