It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Hey, Noodlemantras! The New ONBC Calendar is Here!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:29 am 

Hey, youse guys! Are you ready to spend some time with ONBC’s favorite Public Enemy? :gangster: Come join our discussion of G. Russell Girardin and William J. Helmer’s book, Dillinger, The Untold Story. I hear there’s a movie about this wise guy starting about the same time. Coincidence? :grin: We will offer up a week’s worth of tidbits starting on July 1 and our discussion will begin on July 6. Be there or else… :tommygun:

Our next book will be Attica by Garry Kilworth.

This book has been optioned by Infinitum Nihil and looks like a fun read.

A review from Booklist:

An unexplored attic is as mysterious and intriguing as an unknown land, one where hidden dangers and potential treasures might be found amid layers of junk and dust, if you only look. Kilworth more than delivers on this premise in his innovative fantasy adventure about Attica, a treacherous but wondrous environment fit for intrepid explorers and treasure hunters alike. Step-siblings Jordy, Chloe, and Alex stumble upon Attica in their search for their landlord’s pocket watch—one moment they are in the attic of their new home, the next, a vast landscape: forests of coat racks, hills of typewriters, plains of bare boards, waterholes of water tanks, villages of wardrobes, brambles of twisted wire coat hangers. As they search for both the pocket watch and the way home, they run into creatures hostile as well as helpful, all of which fit within the environment, such as angry mannequins who dress up their human prey in humiliating garments and mock them before killing them. Kilworth doesn’t skimp on his characterization or story, either. The children have distinct personalities and react to Attica in realistic ways, finding their own strengths in this exhilarating, unpredictable environment. This book is a rare find. --Krista Hutley

Liz has checked on availability. The publisher is Little Brown Books in the UK. And the US distributor is Independent Publishers Group in Chicago. IPG said that the book will be widely available in late June or early July both in the US and the UK. IPG also said that the book can be ordered from them at 1-800-888-4741, at Little Brown Books in the UK, but he couldn’t speak for the other distributors for LBB in other countries. But it will also be available from Amazon and other bookstores. Be sure to use the following isbn number below when ordering as this is a new printing.

Tidbits will begin in August and the discussion in September. Stay tuned for exact dates.

Our fall read will be determined by the Noodlemantras! :ONBC: We will put up a poll very soon and let you all vote on the book to follow Attica. Be sure and cast your ballot for your favorite!

After a holiday break it will be time to get your Gonzo on for the New Year. :motorcycle: We will revisit an old friend by reviving our discussion of The Rum Diary by Hunter S. Thompson. The book was discussed on ONBC in April of 2004; but we would like to start fresh with our new and returning members and be ready for the release of the film in 2010.

Mark you calendars!! :bounce:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject: Re: Hey, Noodlemantras! The New ONBC Calendar is Here!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:52 am 

YES! YEAH! HUZZAH! :bounce: :applause2:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:57 am 

Sounds interesting, is this a book Johnny has read, too?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:17 pm 

DarkAngel wrote:
Sounds interesting, is this a book Johnny has read, too?

Johnny's production company has optioned the book so I'm making the assumption that he has.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:33 pm 
JDZ Web Designer

Great Dillinger cover! :cool:

Your Photoshop handiwork, Liz?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:36 pm 

I searched Amazon.com by the isbn number given and it comes up with new and used copies very inexpensively. Can this be correct?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:11 am 

I'm going to answer Theresa's question about the cover, it is Liz's handwork. Nice job! :goodvibes:

nebraska, since Liz did the research on the book I'm going to wait and let her answer your question. She is on vacation right now but will be back in a couple of days.

Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:10 pm 

:tommygun: Yes - got fast cars - good clothes and tommygun ready for

July 1st!! :dillingergun:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:59 pm 

Looks like you are ready to take the ride with Mr. Dillinger, ladylinn. :dillingerhello:

Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:44 pm 
JDZ Moderator

nebraska wrote:
I searched Amazon.com by the isbn number given and it comes up with new and used copies very inexpensively. Can this be correct?

Nebraska, sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. I have been on vacation.

I talked to the distributor again today. His explanation was that Amazon got wind of the new ISBN and lumped all of the books under that. It is the correct book. Go ahead and order an old copy if you so choose. It is the same story. There is a hang up, though, that I found out when calling him. He said that the order that they just received was quite small. And all of the copies have been sent out to various stores--one of them being Amazon. He said that there is another order on the way--a huge one. But he couldn't tell me exactly what date it would come in.....just sometime in July. He said that we could call up and order it through them, and those that did that would be the first ones to receive it once it came in. That is all I know.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:29 pm 

Well, I am read to get this show on the road! :dillinger:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:54 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Did you say, on the road? :grin: Well, we will be taking one of our ONBC Tours--The Dillinger Tour--around July 1ish.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:14 pm 

I ordered a used copy (very reasonable) of Attica from Amazon and received back that it would be available for shipping on 6-18. Is there a difference in new or old printings? :hope:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:04 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Ladylinn, I just talked to the US distributor again to clarify that the books were the same. His response was: "The content should be the same". Arrrggghh. I hate answers like that. :banghead: So I just emailed the publisher in the UK and asked them to give me some more definitive answers, including when will it really be available worldwide. I'll keep you updated.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:24 pm 

As much as I'm sure the romp through Public Enemies / John Dillinger is going to be wild and fun AND the detour to ATTICA looks fantastic - its really great to see that we're close enough now to see The RUM DIARY on the horizon! Won't dust my copy off yet but will get the old sticky notes into my day timer as a heads up! Anyone figured out a Hunter-esk smilie!?

As if three titles aren't enough - I've a question about a title that seemed to come and go or maybe I'm imagining it: The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick. Before I hand my copy over to my nephews who love both fantasy and graphic novels (which this is both between same cover) - can anyone remind me why I might have thought ONBC had suggested that this book had any relation to Johnny?

Here's to a summer of fast cars, good clothes and great movies!!! And oh yes a couple really fab books!!!

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next