It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Our Next Book...
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:12 pm 

thatgirl wrote:
Guess what I was in my mailbox yesterday? :applause2:

I'm on chapter 3 already. Can't wait for the discussion!

:yahoo: I too received my copy on Saturday. I am going to get my work done and then go outside and get some sun with my book. :bounce: :applause2:

~ “There's nothing - you know - nothing else like music. Nothing that touches us on that, uh, that deep level. Music can open up so many emotions that we didn't know we had. Music touches us, emotionally, where words alone can't.” JohnnyDepp~

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:34 pm 

:guitar: Rock on, thatgirl and BG! :bounce:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:43 pm 

Linda M wrote:
As a newbie to the ONBC, is there any special preparation I need to consider while reading the book?
Should I take notes, is there a list of topic discussions available before reading, or should I just sit back and 'enjoy the ride'?
Sorry for all the questions but I just want to get the most out of the experience and be able to contribute in a somewhat meaningful way.
Thanks for the already warm welcome. I am looking forward to reading about such an interesting man. Somehow, I have a feeling I'll be putting our Johnny's face on Dillinger as I read, anybody else feel the same way? :grin:

Hi Linda M
I use to just read and enjoy but lately I have started making a list of characters and their descriptions, looks and personality wise as I run across them in the story. Sometimes I have trouble with remembering all the characters if there are several. It helps if they end up in a question later or if you want to cast actors to the parts later. I also highlight or take notes on things that I find interesting in case they come up later.
When I read PE I pictured Dillinger as himself and even when I read "Dillinger the untold story" the first time but since I watched the trailers ( especially chocolats) I see Johnny has Dillinger down flat and I will be seeing him and Marion Cotillard from now on. I still am having trouble with Christian Bale as Purvis though. If taking notes is not your thing, just relax and read because you can always go back and reread something to discuss a question. Sometime I do it just to refresh my memory which sometimes only absorbs what I like instead of what is really there.

Last edited by gemini on Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:09 pm 

Linda M - don't make it hard for yourself. Enjoy reading and take notes if you feel comfortable doing that. Alot of times I have to go back and reread passages. I am rather new to ONBC too and I find everyone is quite friendly and everyone enjoys the different views on the topics. :goodvibes: Welcome and look forward to your opinions - as our leaders tell us - there is no wrong answer!!! Isn't that great?? :bounce:

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:13 pm 
JDZ Moderator

ladylinn wrote:
as our leaders tell us - there is no wrong answer!!! Isn't that great?? :bounce:

Right you are, ladylinn. I have to go back and re-read the passages too, during the discussion. One thing that has really helped me is Amazon’s “search inside this book" feature, where even if they don’t always allow you to see the page, you do get to read the first few words and give you the page number. I think if I were to give you any advice……don’t take the book back to the library until the discussion is over. If you’ve read it months before, check it out again for the discussion. Linda M, I look forward to your participation. :bounce:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:21 pm 

If anyone is still looking for a copy I just listed mine on Amazon for $ 6.95.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/025321 ... e=&seller=

Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3