Our Next Book...

Earlier ONBC book discussions, Author Q&As and other news.

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Re: Our Next Book...

Unread postby Liz » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:49 pm

I hope you get your copy too, magpie.

Hey RamblinRebel, sorry you couldn't join us for PE but glad you'll be here for Dillinger. So what was your moll nickname?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

RamblinRebel

Unread postby RamblinRebel » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:48 am

Liz wrote:Hey RamblinRebel, sorry you couldn't join us for PE but glad you'll be here for Dillinger. So what was your moll nickname?

Well... Johnny isn't the only one with a bootlegger in his family tree! ;-) I would have picked "Min" - my grandmother's nickname. Her full name was Herminia, but everyone just called her "Min". She passed away before I was born but from what I'm told she was quite a character: she loved to joke and kid, was never one to bow to convention - she was a flapper in the 20's - and she loved a good time. (My mother tells me we're a lot alike. :eyebrow: :lol: ) Supposedly she was also very smart and had a heart of gold. Her and my grandfather ran a speakeasy in their basement during prohibition, and they also sold bathtub gin to Capone. :gangster: There's so many great family stories from that timeframe - most are hilarious, some are downright terrifying, but they're all very colorful. "Min" holds a special place in my heart. :lilyrose:

trygirl

Unread postby trygirl » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:14 am

I already have my copy. I purchased it a while back. I really hope everyone finds one.
I'm not a brand, I'm more of a variety. - Johnny Depp

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:14 pm

RamblinRebel, your grandmother sounds like quite a character! What great family stories! I'm glad you all are able to get the book. I'm looking forward to this one too! :bounce:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:51 pm

Great book, great guns, and truly wonderful cars!

thatgirl

Unread postby thatgirl » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:49 pm

I ordered a copy from eBay a couple of days ago ($10.99 includes the shipping fee) and am hoping it will be here soon so I can start reading.
My eyesight's as good as ever, just so you know. ~CJS

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:40 pm

Good find, thatgirl! I'm glad you found a copy and at a good price too.

Buster, that is a pretty accurate description!
:tommygun:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Linda M

Unread postby Linda M » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:49 am

I ordered my copy from Indiana Press and it was deliverd to my door in less than 1 week!
I almost did not open the package last night because I knew that once I get started reading it, I won't be able to stop. But I did! I really enjoyed leafing through the pictures and copies of the telegrams and personal letters. After I get all of my self-imposed 'chores' done this weekend, I forsee curling up with this book and really enjoying it. It is supposed to rain here all weekend..sounds like good reading weather to me! :innocent:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:55 am

Good info! Thanks Linda M! :cool: Your weekend sounds perfect for reading!

Wow! What a ride!

Baxendale Guitar

Unread postby Baxendale Guitar » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:53 pm

I just ordered my copy. :bounce:
I read and re-read the book PE last summer and loved the discussions here. :heart:
I loved :smiliewithhearts: it so much but I wanted to just read about John Dillinger. :dillingerhat:
:gangster: With this book I am looking forward to be totally enthralled with Dillinger. :thud: :yahoo:
~ “There's nothing - you know - nothing else like music. Nothing that touches us on that, uh, that deep level. Music can open up so many emotions that we didn't know we had. Music touches us, emotionally, where words alone can't.” JohnnyDepp~

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:47 pm

Baxendale Guitar wrote: I loved :smiliewithhearts: it so much but I wanted to just read about John Dillinger.

I’m glad we could help with that, BG. :cool:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Linda M

Unread postby Linda M » Fri May 01, 2009 9:21 am

As a newbie to the ONBC, is there any special preparation I need to consider while reading the book?
Should I take notes, is there a list of topic discussions available before reading, or should I just sit back and 'enjoy the ride'?
Sorry for all the questions but I just want to get the most out of the experience and be able to contribute in a somewhat meaningful way.
Thanks for the already warm welcome. I am looking forward to reading about such an interesting man. Somehow, I have a feeling I'll be putting our Johnny's face on Dillinger as I read, anybody else feel the same way? :grin:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri May 01, 2009 10:55 am

LindaM, the discussion topics are not available before we start since Liz and I can't keep that far ahead! :lol: If you find some passages that are interesting to you go ahead and mark them. When we start the discussion we post one question per day and sometimes you will find the passages you have marked will be part of the discussion. If they aren't we always give you time at the end of the discussion to bring up anything you wanted to talk about that wasn't covered.

Noodlemantras, do you have any advice for Linda?

Wow! What a ride!

Baxendale Guitar

Unread postby Baxendale Guitar » Fri May 01, 2009 1:43 pm

Linda M wrote:...just sit back and 'enjoy the ride'? :grin:

:yahoo: I try to have my mind on Johnny reading the same thing as I am too. :thud:
:hug: Just have fun. You will enjoy the ride. :motorcycle:
:congrats: Welcome in with any questions or thoughts you have. :dillingerhat:
~ “There's nothing - you know - nothing else like music. Nothing that touches us on that, uh, that deep level. Music can open up so many emotions that we didn't know we had. Music touches us, emotionally, where words alone can't.” JohnnyDepp~

thatgirl

Unread postby thatgirl » Sun May 03, 2009 8:46 pm

Guess what I was in my mailbox yesterday? :applause2:

I'm on chapter 3 already. Can't wait for the discussion!
My eyesight's as good as ever, just so you know. ~CJS

Return to “ONBC Archives”