It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Our Next Book...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:26 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Noodlemantra’s…..

This is just a reminder that we will be celebrating the upcoming release of Public Enemies with our next selection….

Plan for the discussion to begin sometime in June.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject: Re: Our Next Book...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:31 pm 

Amazon says this book is not available. I guess the H/C is remaindered, and the paperback has not been released yet. :banghead:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:36 pm 

I read this book during our Public Enemies discussion and plan to read it a second time before the discussion here.

I would suggest trying Amazon new and used dealers or ebay if you are having trouble finding a copy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:42 pm 

Jennak, there appear to be two different versions. I just received a copy of this one which shows as in stock:

But this one shows as "not yet released and available for preorder" :eyebrow:

I wonder if it is being released again for the movie tie in...very curious. :perplexed:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:46 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Here is another option for ordering the book--through the publisher. There are 108 copies of that edition available @$14.00. Once they are sold, there will be no more printed (per Indiana Press, April 23, 2009)

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:16 pm 

Just ordered mine throgh Indiana University Press. It should be here in 7 to 10 busines days. I can't wait! :grin:

I am very much looking forward to participating in the discussion of this book...and subject matter. :yahoo:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:55 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Linda M, :welcome: to ONBC. We look forward to your joining our discussion. :bounce:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:26 pm 

I can usually tell which book most of us are ordering by looking at Amazon's "customers who bought this book also bought" feature. Hmmm, Dillinger, Glass Books of the Dream Eaters, Sweeney Todd, The Rum Diary . . . What do they have in common? :applause2:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:41 pm 

:perplexed: :grin:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:54 pm 

I also read this book back when we read PE. I found it in my local library because its been out in print so long. I do need to get hold of it again because it seems so long ago now that I read it , but I do remember I really like it. Just a thought to hit the local library for those who cant locate a copy to buy. Usually our books are new enough they arent in the library yet.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:11 pm 

fansmom wrote:
I can usually tell which book most of us are ordering by looking at Amazon's "customers who bought this book also bought" feature. Hmmm, Dillinger, Glass Books of the Dream Eaters, Sweeney Todd, The Rum Diary . . . What do they have in common? :applause2:

I have also noticed a similar pattern........ :lol: I think there may be many people who read and follow along and don't participate in our discussions. I hope our numbers continue to grow.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:34 am 

Regarding the two different editions on Amazon:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:

I wonder if it is being released again for the movie tie in...very curious. :perplexed:
I think so - it looks like this one is an Anniversary edition to be released June 9, 2009. Good timing for the movie; maybe a bit late for the ONBC?
From the Amazon page: Publisher: "Indiana University Press; Anv edition (June 9, 2009)"

I just ordered a copy of the first edition listed (2005) - only 3 left! :ohno: Hopefully most local libraries will carry a copy. Mine did, but this book looks like one I'd like to own. :grin: I wasn't yet a registered zoner when PE was discussed, so I missed out on participating in the conversation. But I was enthralled with the discussion none-the-less. (I was one of those "reading and following along" as nebraska mentioned! Even had my moll nickname picked out. :sad: ) I can't wait for this one! :applause2: :cool:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:34 pm 

Just ordered from Indiana Press!
Looking forward to this..........
bluebird

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:16 pm 

fansmom wrote:

I have noticed that also. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:52 pm 

gemini wrote:
I also read this book back when we read PE. I found it in my local library because its been out in print so long. I do need to get hold of it again because it seems so long ago now that I read it , but I do remember I really like it. Just a thought to hit the local library for those who cant locate a copy to buy. Usually our books are new enough they arent in the library yet.

No copies in our local library, or the ones they do inter-library loans from. :-/ Guess I'll have purchase, hope I can get a copy!

. . if you simply try to tell the truth you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it. --C.S. Lewis

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3  Next