What Johnny is Reading Right Now

Earlier ONBC book discussions, Author Q&As and other news.

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

What Johnny is Reading Right Now

Unread postby Liz » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:33 am

At the concert last night our own Charlene asked Johnny what he was reading right now. He hesitated a second and said, “Oh…Parallel Worlds. It’s a bit scientific, but it’s good.” :thanks: for the scoop, Charlene. :-O

From Scientific American:

In the end, as our universe is dying, will civilization be able to move to another universe? Kaku, professor of theoretical physics at the City University of New York, thinks the possibility of such a transition appears in "the emerging theory of the multiverse--a world made up of multiple universes, of which ours is but one." Our universe is now expanding. "If this antigravity force continues, the universe will ultimately die in a big freeze." That is a law of physics. "But it is also a law of evolution that when the environment changes, life must either leave, adapt, or die." Moving to another universe is one possibility cited by Kaku. Another is that civilization could build a "time warp" and travel back into its own past, to an era before the big freeze. A third is that "an entire civilization may inject its seed through a dimensional gateway and reestablish itself, in its full glory." Kaku is good at explaining the cosmological ideas--among them string theory, inflation, wormholes, space and time warps, and higher dimensions--that underpin his argument.

It got some good customer reviews at Amazon:

You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Johnnys Grape

Re: What Johnny is Reading Right Now

Unread postby Johnnys Grape » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:39 am

:-O Good job Charlene!!! Wow, that is amazing. Sounds like a good book. :cool:
Patiently waiting for my cup of coffee.

Kittycat88

Unread postby Kittycat88 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:40 am

Sounds very interesting. There is something about physics that is exciting to me...even though most of it goes over my head. But reading (ah, check that...struggled to read) Stephan Hawking and a book called In Search of Schrodinger's Cat both really had a whopping impact on me.

Thanks for the tip, I will look for it next time I am at the bookstore.
I have finally found a way to live just like I never could before.
I have finally found a way to live in the presence of the lord ~ E. Clapton

Saskay

Unread postby Saskay » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:44 am

Sounds like an interesting read but a bit heavy-going for me in my current headachey state!

Thanks for the info.

DarkAngel

Unread postby DarkAngel » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:46 am

Wow, wow sounds great, Johnny you´re great! That´s really a book I could truely enjoy.. I wonder me if it´s available in the German language too..because it sounds a bit too difficult to read it in English...for a non-native-english-speaker like me.. :blush: .. I´ll searching for it or give it a try in English.. great, Johnny, that´s really a book I could enjoy too!
Thanks to Charlene for asking this question! :disco:
^^Put a stake through my heart! And drag me into sunlight^^
Lyric by Nightwish

Hawkeye

Unread postby Hawkeye » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:52 am

Wow, interesting stuff! Thanks for this.

Sounds like a fabulous storyline for a movie to me...... :-O

H. :capnjack:

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:19 am

He sure likes to set us a challenge, doesn't he!
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

part-time poet

Unread postby part-time poet » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:25 am

Well done, Charlene! Thanks for the scoop! And thanks for sharing it with us, Liz.

Those Noodlemantras :ONBC: have well-honed journalistic instincts! And presence of mind--she was face-to-face with Johnny and managed to ask a coherent question . . . and remember the answer! :applause: That's not easy!

:hatsoff:

Part-Time Poet
Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves.
-- J. M. Barrie

DarkAngel

Unread postby DarkAngel » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:51 am

I searched the amazon shop for more books of that guy and there is his new book and I can remember a interview with the writer Michio Kaku.. was a very interesting one and I was thinking about to buy his new book.. but I wasn´t sure.. but now with Johnny reading his other book "Paralell worlds" I´ll give that book a try..the book Johnny is reading... although I can´t find it in the German language.. but maybe I´ll understand it.. maybe... :blush: :blush: Great to know that Johnny is interested in things like that... I´m so happy to hear that... :goodvibes:
^^Put a stake through my heart! And drag me into sunlight^^
Lyric by Nightwish

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:41 pm

Finally!! I kept hoping during the PE shoot and all those meet & greets that someone would ask him that question. But nooo. So big giant kudos to you, Charlene! :cool:
The book sounds great - right up my quantum physics parallel reality alley. Oh boy! :hypnotic:
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

Kittycat88

Unread postby Kittycat88 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:02 pm

Parlez wrote:Finally!! I kept hoping during the PE shoot and all those meet & greets that someone would ask him that question. But nooo. So big giant kudos to you, Charlene! :cool:
The book sounds great - right up my quantum physics parallel reality alley. Oh boy! :hypnotic:

:biglaugh: If it becomes a choice for the ONBC...we will struggle through together, although quite a lot of good writers are able to describe difficult concepts in baby-steps, thank goodness !!
I have finally found a way to live just like I never could before.
I have finally found a way to live in the presence of the lord ~ E. Clapton

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:43 pm

Kittycat88 wrote:
Parlez wrote:Finally!! I kept hoping during the PE shoot and all those meet & greets that someone would ask him that question. But nooo. So big giant kudos to you, Charlene! :cool:

:biglaugh: If it becomes a choice for the ONBC...we will struggle through together, although quite a lot of good writers are able to describe difficult concepts in baby-steps, thank goodness !!

If we can make it through Arturo Pérez-Reverte’s writing we can make it through this one. :grin:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Dawn68PA

Unread postby Dawn68PA » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:06 pm

Thank you Charlene for asking this question! Good job :cool:
"Johnny has his own dress sense. It doesn't always work" Tim Burton

Lucky13

Unread postby Lucky13 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:05 pm

I'm guessing this was not Charlene's first encounter with Johnny. and if so, how did you do it... keep your composure, ask the question, and REMEMBER what his reply was ?? :-O Need to do a bit of research at Amazon... GREAT JOB CHARLENE !!!! :cool:
~ Yah, I wanna take that ride with you!

I'd rather have a moment of wonderful, than a lifetime of nothing special. April 7, 2008

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:38 pm

Liz wrote:
Kittycat88 wrote:

If we can make it through Arturo Pérez-Reverte’s writing we can make it through this one. :grin:

No kidding! And I, for one, won't have to lament about being befuddled by a fiction story! :lol:
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa

savvy avi by mamabear

Return to “ONBC Archives”