Two Anniversaries in One

Earlier ONBC book discussions, Author Q&As and other news.

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Two Anniversaries in One

Unread postby Liz » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:40 pm

This is so exciting we can’t stand it. The opening day of our new site is also the 1-year anniversary of the opening of POTC.

Did any of you see it on opening day?

What brought you to that theater on that fateful day?

What are your memories of the first time you saw POTC?
I know you’ve probably recounted this many times before, but can we ever talk about it enough?

Do you know how many times you’ve seen it or have you lost count?

Last edited by Liz on Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

miss pink

Unread postby miss pink » Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:10 am

Unfortuantly I didn't see it on opening day but what drew me in at first was all the hype and of course Johnny and my memories of the first time I saw it was thinkin that Johnny was AMAZING!!! I also loved Gregory Rush's performance to! I've seen it so many times that I can't keep count I just absoulutly love the movie! :cloud9:
Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Congrats Miss Pink

Unread postby Liz » Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:14 am

I do believe you are our first poster.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

July 11!

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:37 am

That was my first time to see good ol' CJS. We went to the movie because we had seen the trailer earlier in the summer and thought it looked like fun. Little did I know! I left the theater and all I could talk about or think about was Johnny Depp. I drove my friends and family nuts always looking for someone to take to the theater. I evern took my 82 year old mom. Her comment was well Johnny was okay but who was that pirate? She spent the whole movie thinking Orlando was Johnny! I started surfing the net looking for any information I could find about Johnny and thankfully landed at the Zone where my learning curve skyrocketed. I remember the first time I read the JDOCD list. I was so happy to know there were others similarly afflicted and there was a name for my condidtion! I have been here ever since and have enjoyed every minute!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

suec

Unread postby suec » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:57 am

'Ello Liz! Here at last! No more snake skin! Yes!!! Brand new shiny home! Break out the rum. Yo ho ho.
I have to be honest, JDOCD hit me before I saw POTC, when I saw a quiet little number late on TV one night while idly channel hopping. I was caught at the first glance. From that moment, as you all know, life was never to be quite the same again for me.
POTC opened later in the UK, in August and it coincided with me unveiling the new improved me, 30 pounds lighter and with a whole new attitude.
On opening day, I headed up the shops to buy all of the reviews and danced around the house in delight when I read them. So, heading into the theatre that night was very sweet indeed. It was the first time I had ever seen one of his films in the theatre. It was as great as I expected. What I loved, apart from :capnjack: was that the film was so well made. And I was delighted for him that it was so successful. Favourite moments - oh, loads! One, though, is when he bites the apple and gloats over Barbossa. :hypnotic:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:13 am

suec wrote:I have to be honest, JDOCD hit me before I saw POTC, when I saw a quiet little number late on TV one night while idly channel hopping. I was caught at the first glance. From that moment, as you all know, life was never to be quite the same again for me.

Yes, I know what you mean, Suec. :cloud9: But what was the "quiet little number"?

And welcome to our new home. So glad to have you over. :grin:

Veronica

POTC

Unread postby Veronica » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:00 am

Gosh it seems so long ago. I went to the theater with my son to see the pirates & it looked like it was going to be scary. Never dreamed what my fate was. I didnt even think of Johnny Depp in the movie. I remember saying when Johnny was coming in on the boat I said to my son " This must be this Johnny Depp" lolol I had heard the name but didnt remember where. "funny ole worl in it"

I saw it in the theaters 3 times & numerous times since.

DeepinDepp

Good Morning Liz and DITHOT

Unread postby DeepinDepp » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:27 am

It was fate on July 9th, 2003. Not only was I blessed to have CJS come into my life at the very first showing that day, but I came home and found the ZONE too. :capnjack:

Just wanted to PoP in and see your new home, it is beautiful! Congrats to all of you.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:37 am

:wave: Hey Deep! Thanks for stopping by. The door is open and the welcome mat is out front! Pop in anytime. We love to share our new home! Congrats on yours as well. Our webmisstresses did an excellent job!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Hi DID and V

Unread postby Liz » Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:27 pm

:wave: Welcome to our new home, DeepInDepp and Veronica.

My story is similar to yours.

I was aware of JD prior to Pirates. I had loved him ES, but sort of lost touch with him. The only other movie I had seen was Chocolat--and believe it or not, at the time he didn't do much for me. I don't know what I was thinking.

I had seen the previews of POTC, but they didn't do much for me--the idea of a pirate movie with ghosts? From the previews I had gotten the impression that Johnny was an evil ghost or something.

It was my Pokeeno group that convinced me to see it. They were raving about it at our July Pokeeno night. They said it was very entertaining and pointed out that it was connected to the ride. Well that's what got me interested. They said nothing about Johnny (what were they thinking?). However, one of the women (my son's former 5th grade teacher) had a little smirk on her face like she had a secret that only she knew. She just told me I HAD TO see it.

Well, the rest of this story you've heard many times before. He makes his grand entrance onto the screen and it's like I've been hypnotized or something. I was stunned and amazed. The next morning I was on the computer searching for any info I could find on JD. I needed to know what I had missed since ES. I found the Zone and the rest is history.

I saw it on the big screen 3 times and on DVD at least 10 times.

Larkwoodgirl

I did see it on opening day!

Unread postby Larkwoodgirl » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:20 pm

My son had to drag me to the theatre. I did not want to go. He begged and pleaded for 30 minutes before I gave in. Boy am I glad that I did. The movie and Johnny's performance has really made a huge difference in my life. To commenorate the anniversary of the occasion, I have included my poem about the difference it made for me.

The Transformation

I was cursed with depression erasing away
All the joy I found in living each day.
My black and white world with an unfocused view
Was framed by dark shadows without any hue.
No poet could reach me; no song filled my heart;
No beauty arose from any fine art.
I dwelled in this state with complete resignation
Until finally one night came the transformation.

It was performed by a pirate so wild and free
He radiated passion that infused into me
He was sleek and sexy, cunning and wise,
His black eyes commanded my spirits reprise.
Picking the lock on my life with such ease,
With the skill of a swordsman, he set me free.
Defenseless to his onslaught; drawn into his flame,
I never felt it happen; but I sensed it all the same.

His ship was part of his body, the ocean part of his dreams.
He boldly used them to teach me what freedom really means.
With a pistol he fired a single shot and an enemy’s blood dispersed.
Along with the opportune moment, came the lifting of my curse.
His smile dared me to try and resist, to try and run away;
But, I was riveted in my seat by his fiery pirate gaze.
“Go and be free”, he ordered me through mystic communication.
His dark eyes flashed as he willed to me his gift of emancipation.

Today I’m a fledgling poet, struggling through verse to explain
This transformation to others, who believe that I’m insane.
The world seems wide open; and, I live what I believe.
A joyful spark powers a life full of possibility.
Inspiration takes many forms when it falls into our midst.
Mine came from the soul of a pirate that I could not resist.
The debt I owe him will always stand, with the only reparation,
Being a toast of rum to thank him for this joyous transformation.
""We shall never cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." T.S. Eliot

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:38 pm

WOW! Larkwood, thank you for sharing that beautiful poem. I think you express a sentiment that all of us understand. Ol' Jack really left his mark and you expressed so wonderfully! :capnjack: Johnny is truly an inspiration!

P.S. Thanks for the old Zone tribute! Makes it feel a little like home!

Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Larkwood Girl!

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:47 pm

OMG, what a beautiful poem! Thank you for sharing with us!

suec

Unread postby suec » Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:38 am

Yes, I know what you mean, Suec. :cloud9: But what was the "quiet little number"?

And welcome to our new home. So glad to have you over. :grin:[/quote]

It was TMWC. Yep, I am coming out and finally admitting I am Cesar's girl. suec = Susie. I must have been in my coy mood when I chose this name! Sorry about my late response to this. I've just had my firest full week back at work and it has been totally hectic!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

To LarkwoodGirl

Unread postby Liz » Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:30 am

Hey LarkwoodGirl, I am so glad you gave in to your son. If not, we would not by privileged to read such beautiful verse. You have expressed my feelings in that poem so eloquently.
:capnjack:

Return to “ONBC Archives”