AFI Tribute Interview Memories

Earlier ONBC book discussions, Author Q&As and other news.

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:47 pm

Carasun, the theater was pretty quiet unless he said something that warranted a laugh. No one wanted to miss a word.

Gilly, I had not planned to take notes. I didn't want to miss watching him. But when he started talking I realized I needed to take notes of the quotes that I thought were new, interesting or significant so that I could remember. I had not brought anything to write on, so I used my program. In a way, that makes my program even more special. And I really don't think I missed that much by taking the little notes that I did.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Jackslady

Unread postby Jackslady » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:34 pm

Thank you for sharing your fabulous memories, ladies, you're the best!!

I'm having to post really quickly tonight, as there has been a major industrial fire in my town and we keep having power cuts!! Don't know if anyone's been hurt at all yet either.

Just wanted to quickly answer shadowydog's query about John Wilmot's relationship with his children...in many of the biographies I've read they quote from loving letters he sent to his children, for example one details how he sent his young son a puppy named Omrah, along with a doll for one of his daughters. He had his children near during his final days and expressed his love for them. His illegitimate daughter by Elizabeth Barry seems also to have been close to his heart - he removed her from EB's care because he felt EB was an unfit mother and he made financial arrangments for her in his will. He is such a very complex character and I think it is rather a shame that his "debauched side" is obviously the one most focused upon.
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

DepplySmitten

Unread postby DepplySmitten » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:45 pm

Liz wrote:Dharma_bum, Thanks for remembering and sharing the Donnie Brasco portion (I didn't jot that one down). That was interesting to me, as I only remember him saying in the past that he wanted to play him so that Joe Pistone would be proud (paraphrasing here). He had never given an indication that he didn't like him at first.

Just to add to this, when they showed the DB clip, Johnny didn't even watch the clip...he completely turned his head to the left of him and looked away. I had a very good view of him , and he didn't watch it at all! When some of the other clips were shown, he would either watch all of them, or part of them, but for whatever reason, not the DB one. I found that interesting.

I only wached Johnny, and not the clips, I couldn't take my eyes off of him :blush: :cloud9:

Thank you Liz for taking notes, your a smart one ;-) . My brain was mush!

deeply.depp

Unread postby deeply.depp » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:12 pm

Thanks so much Liz for taking notes of Johnny's quotes!
It only makes me feel like I was there,such as all of yours lovely reports does!
:heart:
"My body is a journal in a way, where every tattoo means something, a specific time in your life where you make a mark on yourself."~Johnny Depp

DepplyBewitched

Unread postby DepplyBewitched » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:29 pm

I've really enjoyed reading everyone's comments - I was lucky enough to attend the tribute too, and also sat in the 2nd row. Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet all my fellow zoners - I was so caught up in being in the same room, it was all I could do just to sit still!!

Anyway, in response to DepplySmitten's comment about Johnny not watching the DB clip - I think I saw this on the director's comments on the DB DVD. Mike Newell said Johnny had the most difficult time with that particular scene, that he had to do it over and over, so maybe he's still not satisfied with it.

cait

Unread postby cait » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:33 pm

DepplyBewitched wrote:Anyway, in response to DepplySmitten's comment about Johnny not watching the DB clip - I think I saw this on the director's comments on the DB DVD. Mike Newell said Johnny had the most difficult time with that particular scene, that he had to do it over and over, so maybe he's still not satisfied with it.

Just wondering, what scene did they show from DB?
Dirt...this is a jar of dirt.

DepplyBewitched

Unread postby DepplyBewitched » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:40 pm

cait wrote:
DepplyBewitched wrote:Anyway, in response to DepplySmitten's comment about Johnny not watching the DB clip - I think I saw this on the director's comments on the DB DVD. Mike Newell said Johnny had the most difficult time with that particular scene, that he had to do it over and over, so maybe he's still not satisfied with it.

Just wondering, what scene did they show from DB?

The one when Joe comes home looking for the bag of money, he and his wife are in the garage, and he tells her how this job is eating him alive; how if he gets out, Lefty will be killed for vouching for him; and how he isn't like them, he is one of them.

Gypsylee

Unread postby Gypsylee » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:10 pm

I haven't heard back from the ladies I e-mailed regarding this, but help me out here. Didn't (oh heck, can never remember the interviewer dudes name) start talking about how strange Johnny dresses and then at that point Johnny got one of those puzzled confused looks on his face and started checking to make sure he had on the same colored socks, shoes, okay shirt, etc.? The guy commented he didn't mean right then, but usually.

Am I dreaming this? I swear I saw that.
"In the time of your life, live....so that in that wondrous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it." Saroyan

Banana

Unread postby Banana » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:30 pm

(oh heck, can never remember the interviewer dudes name)

His name is Richard Schickel. Apparently he's a well known critic and author. His latest book is a biography called "Elia Kazan" ~ reviewed in Sunday's LA Times.

I never heard of the guy, but that just goes to show my ignorance!

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:19 pm

Liz..that programme will be a real keeper..something to frame and put on the wall. :cloud9: .Don't you find that when you write things,you remember them even more?Thanks so much for doing this for us :cloud9:
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:04 pm

DepplySmitten wrote:
Liz wrote:Dharma_bum, Thanks for remembering and sharing the Donnie Brasco portion (I didn't jot that one down). That was interesting to me, as I only remember him saying in the past that he wanted to play him so that Joe Pistone would be proud (paraphrasing here). He had never given an indication that he didn't like him at first.

Just to add to this, when they showed the DB clip, Johnny didn't even watch the clip...he completely turned his head to the left of him and looked away. I had a very good view of him , and he didn't watch it at all! When some of the other clips were shown, he would either watch all of them, or part of them, but for whatever reason, not the DB one. I found that interesting.

I only wached Johnny, and not the clips, I couldn't take my eyes off of him :blush: :cloud9:

Didn't he also look straight out at the audience during B&J instead of looking at the monitor? (NOTE: It was dark during the clips, and I'm embarrassed to admit I was looking through binoculars during each dark period to see what he was doing.)

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:07 pm

gilly wrote:Liz..that programme will be a real keeper..something to frame and put on the wall. :cloud9: .Don't you find that when you write things,you remember them even more?Thanks so much for doing this for us :cloud9:

I was lucky I could bounce it off of my friends. They could fill in the blanks--like what the question was. :blush: I only wrote down the responses. I needed to watch him too. :thud:

kristen

Unread postby kristen » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:45 pm

WOW.

Thanks ladies so much for posting tidbits and taking notes -- I think by now ya'll can tell how much we appreciate it :lol:

:heart: GypsyLee, that bit is too cute, about his clothes - I hope it really did happen! :innocent: Thanks, Liz for typing this up and taking notes - I agree, the program will be even more special now with his 'quotes' on there ...

shadowydog

Unread postby shadowydog » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:33 pm

Gypsylee wrote:I haven't heard back from the ladies I e-mailed regarding this, but help me out here. Didn't (oh heck, can never remember the interviewer dudes name) start talking about how strange Johnny dresses and then at that point Johnny got one of those puzzled confused looks on his face and started checking to make sure he had on the same colored socks, shoes, okay shirt, etc.? The guy commented he didn't mean right then, but usually.

Am I dreaming this? I swear I saw that.

No you are not dreaming. Richard said something about how he dresses, and Johnny pulled up his pants leg to check his socks. Now I am going to go nuts trying to remember what the question or comment was. :-? ARGGGGGG :banghead:

DepplySmitten

Unread postby DepplySmitten » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:50 pm

Liz wrote:
DepplySmitten wrote:

Didn't he also look straight out at the audience during B&J instead of looking at the monitor? (NOTE: It was dark during the clips, and I'm embarrassed to admit I was looking through binoculars during each dark period to see what he was doing.)

Boy...hmmm...thinking, thinking :-? I'm drawing a blank here :blush:
I don't remember , but I'm sure your right! I am surprised that I don't remember very much, I mean the man talked for over an hour! :hypnotic: :blush:

Return to “ONBC Archives”