The Group at Grauman's

Earlier ONBC book discussions, Author Q&As and other news.

Moderator: Liz

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:53 am

Thanks so much for sharing the picture! It is great to see you all, and I am thrilled that you had such a fun time. I can't wait to hear every bit of it - rest up, girls!
"Oh, good!........ No worries, then."

DeppKat

Unread postby DeppKat » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:23 am

Well, I'm totally late to this thread! :bawl:

It's so nice to see what everybody looks like. Sounds like you gals had a blast! :bounce:

I'm looking forward to reading more detailed reports as soon as everyone has recuperated from their Johnny-highs! :cool:

Glad you gals had fun! :omg:
"I think everybody's nuts, to tell you the truth. I think everybody is absolutely out of their heads all the time. Watch people sometimes. Just watch people. People are absolutely insane. They just are. Look at us!" ~JD

DeniseB

Unread postby DeniseB » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:39 pm

:-O @ his shoe size! I'm a size 7 as well, so to see someone w/my size in his print and to see the huge difference is interesting to say the least :blush: I know you ladies must still be recuperating, but I look forward to reading more about your experience and seeing the pics :cool:
"Jack Sparrow...me knew de wind blow ya back to me one day!"

"Oh bugger!"

"I got a jar of dirt, I got a jar of dirt."

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:41 pm

How lovely to be able to put names to faces! You all look great!
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

Jackslady

Unread postby Jackslady » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:49 pm

Utterly enjoying your reports ladies, and thanks for sharing the lovely pic!! :cool:

It makes me think, wouldn't it be wonderful if we could get as many zoners together as possible to attend a premiere (POTC2??). It's been many years since I've been to the States, but this makes me feel like doing something crazy and going for it!! What does anyone else think?
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

Gypsylee

Unread postby Gypsylee » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:25 pm

I'M BAAAAAAACK!!!!

Yes, I know, I waited until this morning to sign on and read what's been happening, but I was emotionally and physically wiped out from our FANTASTIC weekend. Meeting up with KYwoman and Dharma-bum for the first time was a real treat. I had a blast ladies!!! And re-uniting with luvdepp, Liz and DITHOT was like coming home. We had such fun with DepplySmitten and Mr. DepplySmitten. You have one fantastic husband there. To put up with all us women!!! Just before he'd take a picture of us he would say some Johnny related thing that would bust us up. Great guy!

The Tribute and The Libertine............. JUST WOW. DepplySmitten got a fantastic seat, in the second row, with Johnny facing in her direction through the entire tribute. Where the rest of us were sitting was on the left more and about the 8 row up (guessing). The majority of the theater was reserved for The Weinstein Co and Audi people. After seeing how many seats were reserved for industry I am amazed I got a ticket to this thing!!! The theater may have held a little over 400 people, but I'd say less than 200 seats were up for grabs for the public. No wonder it sold out so fast.

Details.......you all want details.........if I wrote down everything that popped into my head I would be sitting here for hours....... I don't know who has posted what regarding this event but I will give you my take on what I experienced. In line outside the tribute we were handed cards with numbers on them. They took us ten at a time into the theater to be seated. Danny Depp came in and sat a few rows up behind us. (it was the same guy I saw at the Hand and Foot Ceremony and I think we have concluded that this was Danny). The event started late (big surprise huh?). To start off AFI people talked to us for a while first, then they showed us a montage of Johnny and his work set to music from his different movies. I would dearly love to get a copy of that. It was fantastic. After the montage they brought the interviewer up (what was his name??????) and then Johnny. He got a standing ovation and he stood before us bowing with his hands in prayer formation acknowledging all of us and thanking us. Then they sat down and started talking. Most of the questions the interviewer asked were ones we have all heard before. I wish for once a new question would be asked. Liz did catch some new info though and jotted down notes. Liz, please post those notes and our discussion in Malibu about them!!! Johnny seemed antsy. He was clearly uncomfortable watching himself in the clips. He had a monitor in front of him showing what we were watching on the big screen......the different clips from some of his movies that were being discussed. As the lights would start to die down he would wish us luck, or give us a thumbs up, asked for a bucket at one point, hit his hands on the arms of his chair....... Sometimes he watched the clip, other times he sat and stared at the audience during the clip, other times (like during the Brasco clip) he didn't look at anything........just stared down. He was funny. A little uptight, but funny. He fidgeted with his shoes, his face, his hands, etc. I, as so with the rest of us, just glued our ears and eyes on him and listened to every tiny thing he said, watched every tiny thing he did..........just soaked it up in its entirety. To get to sit and watch him and listen to him for over an hour straight was incredible. I will NEVER forget it. When the interviewer said they had to wrap up because we needed to get to the screening of The Libertine he seemed nervous about the fact that we were all going to be seeing this new movie. He told us he was proud of this movie. Johnny does his thing with what movies he makes and how he makes them but he is (in my opinion) incredibly sensitive to what we all think of his work and it makes him nervous.

We left the theater to get in line for the movie. KYwoman was saving us a spot at the beginning of the line (bless you KYwoman!!!) For a movie I generally would sit in the back of the theater, but the ladies in our group had a feeling Johnny would come to speak to the audience before the movie started and chose to sit in the second row. Good decision ladies! The movie started late (so whats new eh?). The side door opened next to the screen and to our amazement and happy delight Johnny was standing in the doorway waiting to come out. WOW!!! The AFI woman, Samantha Morton, John Malcovich, and Johnny came on stage!!! First Samantha said some brief thing, then Malcovich said a few words, then Johnny was invited to step up to say a few words. He was gorgeous and relaxed. He commented on the fact that we had all probably heard more than enough out of him and without thinking some of us called out "NO.......TALK MORE." He looked right over at us and said something like "Really? Okay, lets hunker down then, I have a lot to talk about!" But he didn't actually do that. Dang. He talked on for a little while. Said he was very proud of this movie. He was Johnny being Johnny at this point. Very relaxed, funny expressions, etc. Incredible.

Then the movie started. You are in for a experience of a lifetime with this movie. I couldn't believe my eyes. Johnny is INCREDIBLE. He can do anything. He is................. Okay, I am not going to go into the movie. You will need to go and form your own opinions on it. I LOVED it. I cried at the end.........after the entire thing was over and the credits came up. STAY FOR THE CREDITS AND READ THEM. Johnny's touch.

This whole experience brings tears to my eyes even now. I had such an incredible weekend.

I LOVED THE BIRTHDAY CAKE GIRLS!!!!!!!! WILMOT IN HIS CARRIAGE on our group birthday cake!!!.........Very talented Zoners we have here ladies! I also will never forget Saturday night in Malibu, celebrating and laughing.

Love you all.........
Last edited by Gypsylee on Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In the time of your life, live....so that in that wondrous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it." Saroyan

Gypsylee

Unread postby Gypsylee » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:27 pm

DeniseB wrote::-O @ his shoe size! I'm a size 7 as well, so to see someone w/my size in his print and to see the huge difference is interesting to say the least :blush: I know you ladies must still be recuperating, but I look forward to reading more about your experience and seeing the pics :cool:

I forgot to comment on this one...........I'd say size 12 ladies.....
"In the time of your life, live....so that in that wondrous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it." Saroyan

DeniseB

Unread postby DeniseB » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:44 pm

A 12 huh? :blush: Lol. Thanks for sharing that Gypsylee, reading that brought tears to my eyes. I know it'll be a special day you'll never forget...
"Jack Sparrow...me knew de wind blow ya back to me one day!"

"Oh bugger!"

"I got a jar of dirt, I got a jar of dirt."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:17 pm

Thanks, Dharma, for offering up your foot for us. Great pic.

Gypsylee, you brought it all back, girl. I just want to add my thanks to KYwoman for being the first in line to save our places for the movie. Being in that second row was the highlight of the evening for me. :cloud9:

On Danny Depp. I just about died when he stopped at my row and looked right at the seat next to me. I turned away because I was nervous. I wished I had motioned to him to come and sit down. We could have had a very nice little conversation, I'm sure. He sat 3 rows behind me--probably because I turned away. :banghead:

On the movie....I think I can say, without a doubt, that it is the performance of his life thus far. And as Gypsylee said, YOU MUST READ THE CREDITS!

I'm still working on typing up my notes. I'm not sure I'll have that much to say now because much of it has already been said. Keep a sharp eye. Also, I have no pictures to share at this point. I need to get home to do that.

DITHOT, Gypsylee and Luvdepp.... it was so fun getting together with you again. Dharma, KY and DepplySmitten....it was great fun meeting you and getting to know you in person. What a fun bunch! I can't wait until we all meet up again. :grouphug: We also met at the Tribute FANtasticJD, Dukie and Shadowydog--all very nice ladies.

DITHOT here...just adding my :twocents: Everyone has already summed up our experiences very eloquently. It was an incredible thrill to sit and listen to Johnny discuss his movies in a formal setting at the Tribute and it just got better when the cast came out before the movie! He was so relaxed and funny and as Gypsylee said very proud of the movie and sincerely hoped we would like it. The movie is fabulous and his performance is AMAZING and heart wrenching. I was totally swept away into the life of John Wilmot and by the end you are emotionally drained. As Gypsylee said, be sure to stay and read the credits. To think that they filmed the movie in only 45 days is mind boggling. They must have been emotionally and physically exhausted.

I am so happy I was able to share the weekend with such a lovely group of women... no one else would ever understand what it meant to all of us. (Well, maybe Mr. DepplySmitten :lol: - what a trooper! :cool: ) Thanks ladies for a memorable and unforgettable experience! :grouphug:

This afternoon I am heading off into a land without cyberspace and will not be reconnected until Wednesday night. :banghead: See you all later! :bawl:

You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Anna

Unread postby Anna » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:45 pm

Lovely report, Gypsylee. Thanks. Wish we all could have been there.
One minute I’m mushing along with the huskies as usual, and all of a sudden it’s global warming.

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:01 pm

[quote="dharma_bum"]Somehow I knew it would come to this... here’s my size 7 boot (with long pointy toes) in the print. A guy came up after us and put his size 10 shoe into the bootprint and it was bigger still. the print that is!
[quote]

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Everything is always okay in the end,
if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

DepplySmitten

Unread postby DepplySmitten » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:06 pm

Okay, ladies..I had Mr. DepplySmitten put his foot in Johnnys boot print and Johnny wears a size 10! They are the same size! Well, maybe Johnny is a 10 and a half!

Gypsylee

Unread postby Gypsylee » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:14 pm

10-1/2. That seems better than 12. I mean, on his frame a 12 would be duck feet!!!!!!!! Thanks go to Mr. DS!!!

How are you lady!!!!!!!!!!!

I myself am just resurfacing..........Where are you? You home yet? Loved your room at the Chateau! Thanks for letting us hang out there for a while. Very cool........

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:21 pm

Veronica wrote:
dharma_bum wrote:Somehow I knew it would come to this... here’s my size 7 boot (with long pointy toes) in the print. A guy came up after us and put his size 10 shoe into the bootprint and it was bigger still. the print that is!

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I can't believe dharma_bum wore those pointy boots to go sightseeing around LA for the day! Fashionista!

I love reading your stories. Thanks so much for sharing.

Gypsylee

Unread postby Gypsylee » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:24 pm

Anna wrote:Lovely report, Gypsylee. Thanks. Wish we all could have been there.

I wish you all could have been too. I know I wrote a lot, but I don't do it to make others feel left out and sad. I feel happy, but sad, when I read the encounters of others, wishing I could have been there.

It's a hard thing to decide just what to say on a board like this when people live all over the world and don't have the opportunity to come.

All I know is there is always the chance and the hope you will get to see him too. The guy is on a mission to make all of these "diamonds" he is finding. He used the word diamond for The Libertine. The interviewer asked why he works so hard.....that other actors make a movie every year or two and he is making 2 to 3 a year. That's when he commented on not wanting to pass up a diamond.

So it sounds like he will be out and about for a long time to come. He did say he may need a little break. ONLY A LITTLE ONE? A workaholic for ya.

Return to “ONBC Archives”