It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Just Imagine... More Information
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:09 pm 

One of our wonderful Noodlemantras :angel: asked me to list the books previously read here at ONBC. I have become so comfortable at our new home that I forget some of our new members were not with us at our old haunt. I have included a list of past reads and you can click on the calendar above to see what is upcoming.

Secret Window, Secret Garden, Stephen King :mort2:
Perfume, the Story of a Murderer, Patrick Suskind
The Time Of Your Life (and other short stories), William Saroyan
The Rum Diary, Hunter S. Thompson

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:10 am 

Thanks a lot DITHOT - for the list and for calling me one of your 'wonderful Noodlemantras' :angel: ! Funnily enough I'd just bought a copy of 'Perfume', though I'm not aware of a link with Johnny. Was it one of his rumoured projects?

Incidentally, I've just ordered a copy of Happy Days by Laurent Graff, which is supposed to be the first project for Johnny's new production company, though I don't think it's apparent yet whether he'll actually be in it. Anyway, that might be worth thinking about as a future book. I'll let you know what I think of it when I get round to reading it.

The ONBC has really motivated me to read all those books I've been meaning to get around to, but I need more hours in my day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:10 am 

Glad to be of help. Perfume was a book that Johnny mentioned in an interview that he had read twice so it was decided that was one for us to read as well! We don't know for sure if it was a possible project for him or not. Liz probably still has some of the archival material from our discussion. Let us know what you think when you read it. Interesting book to say the least!

Is Happy Days the one about the young man that goes into the nursing home? It sounds very interesting. We are always on the look out for new reads so will keep this one as a possible and watch for confirmation on the Johnny connection. I would love to see him play that part!

I know what you mean about hours in the day! My ever growing stack of books is calling to me!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:18 am 

DITHOT & Liz - I'm having a thought here - yes, again - my one for the day!

Could ya'll make 2 stickys. One would be a list of the books we have read and discussed, the time period we read/disccused them in, and their link to Johnny and why we picked them.

Sticky 2 could be the ever expanding of Johnny books we've heard that he liked, or read, or mentioned, or breathed on..whatever. For instance, there is an article from Vibe magazine on the News & Views board this morning on 2 books Johnny was quite taken with. Those could go on the list, with comment that they were mentioned in Vibe article and what Johnny said about it.

I apologize if I am asking too much - I know you ladies have a life outside of this place.

I also know my night stand is stacked high with Johnny related material and no one (other than you ladies) that wants to hear anything about it. As I drag my books around from ball game to swimteam practice to hair salon, etc. I often get wierd looks (I'm curently reading Kingdom of Fear & Peter Pan - I mean the extremes of two types of literature).

Thanks for listening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:23 pm 

Charlene, thanks for your suggestions! :cool: We will put up that list of books we have already read and when we read and discussed them plus the books already on the calendar.

As for as list of "Johnny books we've heard that he liked, or read, or mentioned, or breathed on", Liz and I are a little reluctant to go that far for a couple of reasons (although I love your description!) Unless we have read or heard in a published interview that he has read a particular book or unless he has signed on to play a particular character we hesitate to create that connection. We don't want to put words in his mouth or books on his list that can't be verified. We also hesitate because our ONBC schedule has to remain flexible and we are always afraid if we mention a book that folks will run out and buy it assuming it will be discussed. We are certainly always on the look out for good material. It is that verification step that holds us back sometimes. Look for the list of books in the next day or so.

And I love your comment about the looks you get about your reading material. Hunter S. Thompson and Peter Pan aren't usually seen on the same bookshelf! One of these someone will notice and recognize you as a Noodlemantra! :rotflmao:

Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:41 pm 

Thanks DITHOT. I was just thinking along the lines of the Vibe mention, the Tim Robbins/Hot Climate mention (was it EW or People or something?), the Hunter connection, etc. It's just interesting to know what else is out there and by following leads I have really expanded my horizons. Thanks for all your effort. Now....back to reading...and making notes...and placing sticky tabs on the pages....and pondering (hey, this is like homework - are DITHOT and Liz teachers?? ). You guys are awesome and so are all the contributors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:45 pm 

Charlene wrote:
DITHOT & Liz - I'm having a thought here - yes, again - my one for the day!

Could ya'll make 2 stickys. One would be a list of the books we have read and discussed, the time period we read/disccused them in, and their link to Johnny and why we picked them.

Sticky 2 could be the ever expanding of Johnny books we've heard that he liked, or read, or mentioned, or breathed on..whatever. For instance, there is an article from Vibe magazine on the News & Views board this morning on 2 books Johnny was quite taken with. Those could go on the list, with comment that they were mentioned in Vibe article and what Johnny said about it.

I apologize if I am asking too much - I know you ladies have a life outside of this place.

I also know my night stand is stacked high with Johnny related material and no one (other than you ladies) that wants to hear anything about it. As I drag my books around from ball game to swimteam practice to hair salon, etc. I often get wierd looks (I'm curently reading Kingdom of Fear & Peter Pan - I mean the extremes of two types of literature).

Thanks for listening.

charlene I know what you mean. I have about 5 books going now. I am about half way through Chocolat, up to Chapter 4 on Whats eating Johnny Depp, About half way through JM Barre & the Lost Boys, & just reading tidbits of the Proud Highway. also reading a story in my William Saroyan Reader

I read the Kingdom of Fear! Its great!!!! How far along are you?

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

Post subject: Charlene
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:19 pm 

Quote:
Now....back to reading...and making notes...and placing sticky tabs on the pages....and pondering (hey, this is like homework - are DITHOT and Liz teachers?? ). You guys are awesome and so are all the contributors.

Thanks for the compliment but I am not a teacher. I work in education but not in the classroom. I have always admired teachers and now I really appreciate all the preparation they put in! I feel like I am back in high school or college some days. It is truly a labor of love! :heart2:

Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:11 pm 

Veronica - I am almost finished Kingdom of Fear. I really think I will go back and reread it - it has been quiet insightful - but it jumped around so much - I started losing the thread. If I could ever sit and read for a good period of time, I might not feel like I'm losing my mind, but I only get a page here, a page there, and even if I'm into the chapter, if I'm reading in bed, I find myself nodding off. I know it sounds like I'm some old doddering woman, but my day starts around 4:30 a.m. and I am struggling to make it through summer with the guys home from school and no time to myself (not that I ever read in the day to begin with).

I think I can enjoy this book more because I have "seen" Hunter in action on the Breakfast with Hunter tape. I really enjoyed the Johnny mentions. I assume the Cuba mention was when he went out there to film Before Night Falls, but HST had a line in there like he was involved in the movie, too. I read it twice, and figured it was just HST extrapolating.

Well, I just realized today that the ONBC is getting ready to discuss the Lost Boys and I haven't even started it. Eh gads. Got to climb into bed now and catch up. Ta

Post subject: I'm Back
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:24 pm 

Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson
Hello all. I've been away on vacation so coming to this discussion a bit late. I like the list of books we've read, mainly because my memory goes. I can't remember what I've read, when and for what book group I'm in! Thanks for doing that.

I've read the Happy Days book by L Graff. It is very short (99 pgs). It's an odd story, and I'm not sure how sympathetic to the character I was. He seems very self-centered and empty to me. I'd like to know what others thought of it. Is anyone familiar with the british tv show THE OFFICE? Well, there is an actor in it that I thought could play the main character from this book. If Johnny played it, he could definately make him more empathic and sympathetic, but for some reason I had someone else in mind.

I have read many HST books of late. I'm waiting for HEY RUBE to come out. The Rum Diary is so different from his later works! I liked the Proud Highway. He has certainly had a colorful life. I think the women in HST's life are just as interesting (like J. Kerouac or other Beat authors).

I bought the book VILLA INCOGNITO by Tom Robbins. I saw this on Mort's bookshelf in SW. I had also read FIERCE INVALIDS HOME FROM HOT CLIMATES, which I just loved. I took Villa Incognito with me on vacation and started to read it. Wow, what a wierd book. I couldn't get into it, at least not on vacation. Has anyone else read this one? Feedback please, if you have.

Looking forward to more reading, and my night stand is loaded with books too!

Post subject: Welcome Home!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:33 pm 

:wave: Glad to see you have returned from your Caribbean adventure...see any pirates lurking about? :capnjack:

I bought Villa Incognito as well but have not started it. We will be discussing Fierce Invalids in the fall. I believe I saw on the news board that Hey Rube is now out. There were some folks posting about some Johnny mentions that are included. Sounds like a good read.

Last edited by DeppInTheHeartOfTexas on Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wow! What a ride!

Post subject: And how about "The Club Dumas"?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:38 pm 

This novel was the basis for "The Ninth Gate." :eyebrow:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:13 pm 

Charlene wrote:
Veronica - I am almost finished Kingdom of Fear. I really think I will go back and reread it - it has been quiet insightful - but it jumped around so much - I started losing the thread. If I could ever sit and read for a good period of time, I might not feel like I'm losing my mind,

Charlene - Dont feel like your loosing your mind, Its Hunter thats a little wacked but thats why we love him! lol I think thats why I enjoyed reading Hunters books because you can read a little at a time, with them being Notes & letters. Its easy to stop & pick up later.

KY!!!! good to have you back!! We missed you!

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

Post subject: Welcome Back
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:59 pm 
JDZ Moderator

KYwoman wrote:
Hello all. I've been away on vacation so coming to this discussion a bit late.

Hi KY. Welcome back. How was your Caribbean vacation?

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:07 am 

Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson
Hey V, Liz and DITHOT

I enjoyed the vacation (lots of sun, rum, and relaxation), but I'm glad to be back at the zone and catching up with everyone! :cool:

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next