It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: James Joyce quote
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:18 pm 

Just a little something I thought might interest you literary ladies. I was looking through an autobiography by Faye Dunaway in the library and she was talking about her friendship with Johnny and said they shared the same motto 'silence, exile and cunning' from Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce. The full passage is as follows and is also one of my own favourites. I can see why it would appeal to Johnny - and Faye.

'You have asked me what I would do and what I would not do. I will tell you what I will do and what I will not do. I will not serve that in which I no longer believe, whether it call itself my home, my fatherland, or my church: and I will try to express myself in some mode of life or art as freely as I can, using for my defence the only arms I allow myself to use – silence, exile, and cunning.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:01 pm 

I understand what you are saying about this appealling to Johnny , the part about expressing himself in art and all, however the rest just seems sadly disconected. I don't want to come across as negative, please don't misunderstand. Johnny has approprietly disconnected himself, from Hollywood, from the States and it seems to have saved him (along with Vanessa and the kids of course). I am just saying I could not be happy not believing in home, country and faith.
Maybe I am misunderstanding Joyce the quote just seem lonely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:24 pm 

Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson
Thanks Sands, I didn't know this about our man (or Faye for that matter). Just one more tidbit to tuck away! *mutters to self...I should write these things down...*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:37 pm 

Quote:
'You have asked me what I would do and what I would not do. I will tell you what I will do and what I will not do. I will not serve that in which I no longer believe, whether it call itself my home, my fatherland, or my church: and I will try to express myself in some mode of life or art as freely as I can, using for my defence the only arms I allow myself to use – silence, exile, and cunning.'

Interesting. In my interpretation home, fatherland, church could be metaphorical for Hollywood and the business and the culture in which we live. He doesn't play the Hollywood publicity game and appreciates those that are outside the mainstream. He certainly has chosen interesting roles that have a lot to say about him as a person and the characters he plays. I think he speaks through his workand little clues he gives when he does speak to the press, like the "madness in every direction" comment he made on the red carpet.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject: Re: James Joyce quote
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:13 pm 

Sands wrote:
I will not serve that in which I no longer believe, whether it call itself my home, my fatherland, or my church...'

Thank you so much for sharing! :lilyrose:
I like this part specially. It remainds me of Johnny saying that he will not waist his time doing things he doesn't like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:13 pm 

Thanks Sands, I really like that quote and it seems very appropriate for Johnny, as Ms. Dunaway has an affinity for it as well you can see why they became such good friends.

Live in Depp
Boo

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:36 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Sands wrote:
“and I will try to express myself in some mode of life or art as freely as I can, using for my defence the only arms I allow myself to use – silence, exile and cunning.”

Thanks, Sands, for sharing this. I do think it fits Johnny. Here's how:

SILENCE: I’m not quite sure what “silence” means—maybe trying to fade into the background or not get caught up in the Hollywood stuff.

EXILE: I believe “exile” refers also to hiding, not playing the Hollywood game, moving to France away from the Hollywood scene. I think it could also refer to following one’s own path, and "moving forward".

CUNNING: I like DITHOT’s theory about the clues he gives to the press. It’s like a little secret that only he and those who are close to him or his fans know. But it could also refer to just how he operates. I think he puts much forethought into every move he makes, every part he takes, every pose he’s in, every character he plays, and some of what he says publicly. And sometimes there is mischievousness involved. I don’t mean for this to sound like he is deceitful per se—it is more about his art or about how he wants to get around the Hollywood machine (“using for my defense”).

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject: James joyce Quote
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:04 am 

I like that quote-all the different interpretations are verrrry interesting.I think that what we believe,our moral cetainty, transcends the confining boundaries of home,country and church.It's like a reference to being a citizen of the world.I like that concept.I think Johnny does too.SILENCE-That makes me think of all those companionable silences Johnny shared with Marlon Brando-communication without words.I can see how that would appeal to Johnny.Thanks Sands for that. :angel:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:17 am 

Liz wrote:
CUNNING: I like DITHOT’s theory about the clues he gives to the press. It’s like a little secret that only he and those who are close to him or his fans know. But it could also refer to just how he operates. I think he puts much forethought into every move he makes, every part he takes, every pose he’s in, every character he plays, and some of what he says publicly. And sometimes there is mischievousness involved. I don’t mean for this to sound like he is deceitful per se—it is more about his art or about how he wants to get around the Hollywood machine (“using for my defense”). [/b]

A good example was his acceptance speech for the People's Choice Award! That "mischeivous" little speech had everyone going for a while!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:27 pm 

Thanks Sands for sharing that. I think it fits Johnny's take on life perfectly. To me, he isn't disconnected, he just chooses the ways in which he wants to connect with people, on his own terms and in ways that feel true to him. From what I've heard, he's a great listener. You feel like you have his full attention and that would go along with the "silence" part of the quote. To be a good listener, you have to stop talking and pay attention to what is being said. He has tried to put himself into a form of exile by buying his island and the house in France, to be able to get away. I think that's how he keeps himself sane and true to himself, by spending time alone and with his family, away from the madness of Hollywood. DITHOT, you described the cunning part perfectly. I think that's part of what we love about Johnny. He seems be able to get his point across in a very creative and seemingly off the wall way. To those close to him and his fans, we know exactly what he is saying. Makes it all the more special, like we're in on a special little secret.

"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]