Gordon Dahlquist Q&A #10

Author of THE GLASS BOOKS OF THE DREAM EATERS

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Gordon Dahlquist Q&A #10

Unread postby Liz » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:26 pm

ONBC: Did you consciously use color or names in a symbolic way?

GD: Not at all. Some of the names, like the Orange Canal, simply came out of an impulse to make the place names (and proper names) not entirely English – usually splitting the difference between Dutch and French references.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gemini

Re: Gordon Dahlquist Q&A #10

Unread postby gemini » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:09 pm

This question takes me back to our book discussion of how many color comparisons trygirl came up with from the story when the only ones I could think of was Cardinal and Chang's red coat. I guess some of us are just a lot more perceptive than others.
For those who can't recall here is the link to the discussion.

Maybe Gorden is more color conscious than he realizes as he unconsciously described a lot more than I realized when I read some of our noodlemantras comments.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:03 pm

Either that or we Noodlemantras have a tendency to over analyze. :grin:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:12 pm

Liz wrote:Either that or we Noodlemantras have a tendency to over analyze. :grin:

Yeah that too. :grin:
I am guilty of going off on something I find in a tidbit, or a comment someone makes about one, and off I go obsessed to see what I can find until the next tidbit or comment distracts me to go off once again. :rolleyes:
Being a gemini I want to know everything and I can't stay focused on one thing for long. It is even more fun when we all go off on a topic at the same time. :bounce:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:22 pm

What? Over analyze? Surely not!!! Ain't it fun!!!! :yahoo:

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:53 pm

Maybe it just wasn't done consciously...but Mr. Dahlquist is quite the artist with his color palette. I could picture the bright splashes of color across the pages as I read his story, and whether he intended it or not, the colors he used for the characters were very telling.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:35 pm

I was very surprised at his answer to this question. I really assumed he had used his color palette purposefully!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

trygirl

Unread postby trygirl » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:10 pm

gemini wrote:This question takes me back to our book discussion of how many color comparisons trygirl came up with from the story when the only ones I could think of was Cardinal and Chang's red coat. I guess some of us are just a lot more perceptive than others.
For those who can't recall here is the link to the discussion.

Maybe Gorden is more color conscious than he realizes as he unconsciously described a lot more than I realized when I read some of our noodlemantras comments.

Gemini, I'm grateful for your kind words about my perception. I really enjoyed that question. I truly believed Mr. Dahlquist incorporated the colors on purpose so I'm taken aback by his answer. But it just adds to his immense talent.
I'm not a brand, I'm more of a variety. - Johnny Depp

Return to “Gordon Dahlquist”