Gordon Dahlquist Q&A #11

Author of THE GLASS BOOKS OF THE DREAM EATERS

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Gordon Dahlquist Q&A #11

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:57 am

ONBC: Did you intend for Glass Books to have a message? Can The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters be considered an allegory?

GD: Not at all, or no message apart from what the experience is of reading it (which sounds flip, but I don't mean it to be) – which is to say, no hidden message or symbolic message or allegorical message. It's about three people who, when it would easier for them not to, stand up against their enemies and stay true to their struggle, no matter what it costs them. Ironically, several of their enemies are of course have the exact same sort of dedication, which makes everyone's life more difficult. There are certainly broadly stated ideas about power and corruption, and loneliness and temptation, but I think novels are about experiencing a world, and worlds are made to be big and slightly unwieldy, not easily broken down.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

ladylinn

Re: Gordon Dahlquist Q&A #11

Unread postby ladylinn » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:25 pm

Thank you Mr. D. for writing fiction that can entertain its' reader. I read fiction so I can be drawn into a world where the characters can do and achieve things out of the ordinary. I found your 3 main characters could definately stand up to their enemies and stay true to their struggles finding strength within each other. Hidden messages were not needed. Altho it was fun trying to find some!!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:33 pm

Yes I agree ladylinn, an allegory is not needed to enjoy a story. I am like you and to read is an escape and does not have to have hidden meaning. It would be hard to not have similarities to things in the real world unless the story was completely alien. I find myself getting just as involved with the struggle of fictional characters whether they reflect something else or not.
Like I mentioned before I read for two reasons, either for entertainment or education but they don't have to be in the same book.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:00 pm

Who us? Over analyze? :lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:13 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Who us? Over analyze? :lol:

Well, I know sometimes we can get a little carried away :grin: , but I find it a little hard to believe that some of the things we discussed, like the meaning of all the colors used and the symbolism of the blue clay with all its layers of meaning, could be just happy accidents and nothing more. If so, Mr. Dahlquist is a very lucky writer -- and maybe we just need to take his word for it.
But fiction for fun can still have clever deppth of meaning -- in my opinion that adds to the fun -- and if there is anything hidden, we Noodlemantras will ferret it out, even if it was never intentionally put there!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:38 pm

nebraska wrote:

Well, I know sometimes we can get a little carried away :grin: , but I find it a little hard to believe that some of the things we discussed, like the meaning of all the colors used and the symbolism of the blue clay with all its layers of meaning, could be just happy accidents and nothing more. If so, Mr. Dahlquist is a very lucky writer -- and maybe we just need to take his word for it.
But fiction for fun can still have clever deppth of meaning -- in my opinion that adds to the fun -- and if there is anything hidden, we Noodlemantras will ferret it out, even if it was never intentionally put there!

Like the Mayan sacrificial ritual. :-O
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:02 pm

Liz wrote:
nebraska wrote:

Like the Mayan sacrificial ritual. :-O

EXACTLY! Are you kidding me? :-O

Return to “Gordon Dahlquist”