Gordon Dahlquist Q&A #5

Author of THE GLASS BOOKS OF THE DREAM EATERS

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Gordon Dahlquist Q&A #5

Unread postby Liz » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:12 am

ONBC: I read somewhere that your favorite character was Miss Temple mainly because she was younger. Is this still so, now that you are writing the sequels?

GD: What I mainly meant there was that, being younger, her character was less settled and more subject to growth, change, and/or manipulation, so she's more an active person to be writing about, and that tends to be more fun. Also, because she's a less pleasant personality than either Chang or the Doctor, I have a soft spot for her. As I've continued to tell these three characters' story, I've definitely stayed engaged with all three of them. I spend more time with Miss Temple, however, so she's still the first among equals for me.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Re: Gordon Dahlquist Q&A #5

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:45 pm

What an interesting observation! I find it surprising that Mr. Dahlquist found Miss Temple to be less pleasant than the other two main characters. Especially Chang who had too many raw edges to count. I wonder if it was her use of money to manipulate or her outspokenness or her naivete. Or something else I haven't thought of......... I didn't see her as an unpleasant character. Very interesting.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:16 pm

That surprised me, too, Nebraska. I wonder if by "less pleasant" he meant less predictably pleasant. If I were conversing with Chang in a train, I'd be wary because he would probably give off an aura of danger. If I were conversing with Miss Temple on a train, I wouldn't be expecting her to go all Three Stooges on me, and if she did, that would make her somewhat less than pleasant.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:35 pm

That was indeed a surprise! Maybe because he saw her as more spoiled and bratty than we did he felt she was less pleasant. Maybe as a man he just has a different picture in his mind than how women perceive her?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Charlene

Unread postby Charlene » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:58 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:That was indeed a surprise! Maybe because he saw her as more spoiled and bratty than we did he felt she was less pleasant. Maybe as a man he just has a different picture in his mind than how women perceive her?

He's a man....that about says it. I found her completely irritating...but marveled at her Wonder Woman skills.

trygirl

Unread postby trygirl » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:22 pm

This is a surprising answer. Perhaps he thinks Miss Temple had a unpleasant personality, for the time period, because she was cold and unaccommodating and unlike most women of the era. And she seemed so detached and only concerned with her pride and propriety, especially at the beginning of the book. Chang had rough edges, and was a killer, but he didn't come off as unpleasant. And Dr. Svenson had the softest personality out of the three. It was only after meeting these two men that Miss Temple began to cast off her sourness.
I'm not a brand, I'm more of a variety. - Johnny Depp

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:29 pm

Miss Temple certainly had a mind of her own and was not hesitant to say what she pleased or do as she pleased. I think I agree she was not always pleasant and I found her irritating at times. I guess the fact that she was young should allow for her personality to grow. I think I am in agreement with everything Mr. Dalquist says about her. She however was not my favorite character, Chang was, so being pleasant is not a major reason for my preferring a character male or female.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:53 am

I wasn't surprised by his answer. I always find it interesting when authors talk about their characters as if they are real and have minds of their own. This is not a criticism, mind you, as I can get so involved in the characters in books, TV & movies that I attempt to analyze them, when it is the writers that I should be focusing on.

And I can see why, to some, Miss Temple could be quite irritating. I think she found others more irritating than I find her, though. I have to say that she was probably my favorite character because I could relate to her in many ways.....at least in my mind. She would act out what I would like to do. I envy her freedom to say and do whatever she felt, without worry of recrimination. I wish she had been a little more tolerant, though, and more patient.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “Gordon Dahlquist”