It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Gordon Dahlquist Q&A #2
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:35 pm 
JDZ Moderator

ONBC: Did you plan for the three characters to merely show their individual growth as they faced danger or did you plan on them developing more of an interest in each other? I know how I felt as a reader but wonder more at your intent.

GD: I wanted both of those things to happen. The structure of the book requires that each character be thrown back on themselves: they're all cut loose from their normal routines and their normal sources of security and have to transform themselves in order to survive. At the same time, there is a recognition for each of them that in these other two people they've met an unlikely pair of others who share their own rootless situation. The degree to which the characters deal with each other is developed in the subsequent books, of course, but also one of the interesting things to me is, given how little actual time passes in the book, how intensely they're able to bond with one another.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject: Re: Gordon Dahlquist Q&A #2
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:02 pm 

I admit I have already pre ordered the sequel because I was already hooked, but your answer has certainly made me anxious to read on. As a Johnny fan I always suspected his interest in your story was the growth and strength of the characters and I admire that as well, but being a romantic, I always yearn for more to develop between them. I see as a smart author you are not giving anything away that will spoil the story so I must wait for the next book release. Ahem......

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:28 pm 

I like his point about the short passage of time and how they bond. When I read the book I kept having to remind myself that it all took place in only a matter of days.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:53 pm 
JDZ Web Designer

It's a very intense relationship they develop, not only in the fact that the time frame is so short, but also that they spend so little time together. But it does make sense - that's a well-known phenomenon that happens in a crisis or emergency. For example, passengers on a plane in trouble quickly develop a very close bond with each other.

I do like how Mr. Dahlquist wrote at how surprised each character was at the depth of their concern for the others, even though they were almost strangers. Particularly three people who apparently didn't share feelings as a rule.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:16 pm 

theresa, that is a good point about the bonding experience they had because of the intensity of the situation. I like what he had to say as well about the mutual recognition of their "rootless situation". I had not thought of their backgrounds as being similar in that way, being loners.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:51 pm 

Theresa said
Quote:
I do like how Mr. Dahlquist wrote at how surprised each character was at the depth of their concern for the others, even though they were almost strangers.

Dithot said
Quote:
I like what he had to say as well about the mutual recognition of their "rootless situation".

I found it interesting that since they were loners, they held back from their feeling. Chang loved Angelina but never tried to have anything but their sexual relationship, and Miss Temple admitted that Rogers rejection only affected her pride, not that she felt like she missed him. These people, who hold back so much from their relationships of love, find that they bond so easily with strangers in so short a time.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:20 pm 
JDZ Moderator

gemini wrote:
Theresa said
Quote:
I do like how Mr. Dahlquist wrote at how surprised each character was at the depth of their concern for the others, even though they were almost strangers.

Dithot said
Quote:
I like what he had to say as well about the mutual recognition of their "rootless situation".

I found it interesting that since they were loners, they held back from their feeling. Chang loved Angelina but never tried to have anything but their sexual relationship, and Miss Temple admitted that Rogers rejection only affected her pride, not that she felt like she missed him. These people, who hold back so much from their relationships of love, find that they bond so easily with strangers in so short a time.

I thought it interesting too. I think it was the situation that they found themselves in--the environment that nurtured parts of their psyches that they didn't realize were there.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:20 pm 

I'm hooked too, gemini. And I love this part of his answer, "The structure of the book requires that each character be thrown back on themselves." I think this is part of the reason the characters were able to bond in such a short period of time because each hero represented a mirror and forced the characters back on themselves. They each met a person who shared their shortcomings and were forced to analyze these shortcomings in each other. If they had stayed in their own little worlds, then they never would have glanced inward at their lonely lives. So pretty much what everyone else said. And I think the trio also bonded quickly because they realized no one else would mourn their demise except each other. I think they all thought, "If you got to go, why go alone?" And I think Chang even says as much in the book. But that's pretty powerful for people who never shared their lives with anyone, to want to end it together after only knowing one another for a couple of days. And kudos to Mr. Dahlquist for provided such a credible bond between the characters.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]