Loser's Town Question #32 ~ The Final Answer

by Daniel Depp

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Loser's Town Question #32 ~ The Final Answer

Unread postby Liz » Sat May 16, 2009 12:28 pm

Well, Noodlemantra’s it’s time to wrap up another discussion. :-/ This is always so hard for me. And I think it is especially hard this time because Loser’s Town is Daniel’s book. I seem to want to hold onto it as long as possible. The good thing is that we can look forward to another one from the other Mr. Depp. DITHOT and I want to thank all of your for your participation, your insights and your deference. Another great discussion, Noodlemantra’s! :notworthy:

Just a quick reminder here before I ask the final question, that our next book is Dillinger, the Untold Story, which we will begin discussing sometime in June. There will be a few tidbits beforehand, but we have not firmed up anything yet.

Our final question…..

This is your chance to bring up any topics or questions that we may not have covered during the discussion thus far. I would also like to include a question of my own: What were your favorite chuckles, nods and winks* in the book?

nods and winks to any person or place
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Betty Sue

Re: Loser's Town Question #32 ~ The Final Answer

Unread postby Betty Sue » Sat May 16, 2009 1:36 pm

Well, there seemed to be a bit of a nod and wink to someone we know with the description of Bobby Dye as being mannerly, about 5' 8," tanned but hairless chest, tattoos, longish brown hair, sad brown eyes, and a teen magazine idol. Many other references were sprinkled through the book but a favorite was the description of Spandau in an Armani suit with cowboy boots (okay, JD doesn't wear cowboy boots, but same idea). Got a kick out of Marilyn Manson being dropped into the book with Pookie's date being described as looking like MM if "Marilyn Manson looked like Tom Cruise and didn't have the eye thing." :lol:
Then there was Bobby's home: overlooking LA, a Basquiat above the art deco couch rescued from a 1920s ocean liner :-O , Spanish Mission table, Lalique lamp....something familiar about all this...
Just want to add that after I heard excerpts of the book read by Daniel, I started to hear him as I read the book, and it really added to my enjoyment. He's got a great voice and expression! :goodvibes: (But what else would you expect Betty Sue to say about a Depp? :grin: )
Thank you, Liz and DITHOT, for your usual great tidbits, questions, and remarks!! :bouquet:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Sat May 16, 2009 2:05 pm

There were many "winks and nods" in the book that made me chuckle. I think Daniel has a great sense of humor and when he uses "winks and nods" he sits back and says to himself "wonder if they get it". And then has a good laugh. Betty Sue, you gave great examples - I did have many times that the picture of Johnny came to my mind (a good thing :goodvibes: ) when reading. For me, the ending came rather abrutly and I had to stop and go back to fully understand the conclusion. Maybe this is how it was meant to be - always leave them wanting more!!!

Great job Liz and DITHOT as always. :applause2: Enjoyed the questions and all the tidbits beforehand. You are definately making me a better reader. Who would have "thunk" it at my age???? :lol: :lol: Thanks again! Looking forward to the next "Depp involved" book. :dillingerhat:

AnaMaria

Unread postby AnaMaria » Sat May 16, 2009 2:43 pm

I could have enjoyed the book as an entertaining detective story. A nice read. The kind of book you read on a holiday.
But I could not forget that this book was written by Johnny's brother. That's the reason I bought/read it - as I assume many other people will do. People who do not know Johnny as well as we do, who might think now that Johnny is in reality such an unpleasant person like Bobby. The way Bobby was portrayed bothered me, a lot, and I tried to but can't find a reason why Daniel did that. Sense of humour ? I could not laugh with it.
I'm not trying to discuss this, as it's clear others enjoyed this aspect, which is nice to know. But it's how I felt while reading LT and it made me feel sad.

Thanks Liz and DITHOT :lilyrose:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat May 16, 2009 2:59 pm

Ladylinn, Daniel deppinately put a lot of thought into writing that book.

Betty Sue, I too heard Daniel at many times while reading. For me, that comes from having heard him read from his book.

AnaMaria, I know what you mean. I was bothered by it too, because on the one hand, the physical description was so similar, but the personality was not. Maybe the purpose was to bring home the point to those who recognized people who they thought he was describing in the book that they were not, in fact, who they thought they were. But the flaw in that is that the message would only be to Hollywood insiders.

Not that this has anything to do with Johnny, but one of my favorites was the nod to Ray Bradbury. Who knew? Not me. And of course, I chuckled to myself through the entire drive up Sunset. He was so right on with every comment. Loved the Basquiat nod and the wink to Bukowski & Marilyn Manson.

On pg. 80 he describes the Voodoo Lounge as being wedged between a sushi bar and a liquor store. You can go for blocks before finding a liquor store on Sunset. Trust me on this. One night back in 2007 at the Best Western Sunset Plaza Hotel, DITHOT and I had an assignment to go pick up some wine for our group to go with the take-out Chinese dinner we were going to have in one of our rooms. One of the group told us that there was a liquor store about 3 blocks away. So DITHOT and I decided to walk for some exercise. About 7 blocks later we got to the liquor store, which happened to be right next door to the Viper Room. :-O

This line on pg. 83 made me think of CJS, although it probably was unintentional on his part: Spandau said. “He was worried you were going to do something stupid.”

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sat May 16, 2009 6:30 pm

Yes little nods and winks are a good way to phase the question. Remembering what Daniel said about the book not being about Johnny and then his remark about comedians and detective writers being able to get away with voicing opinions others can't, made me realize that is what he wants to do. The mentions of people and places relating to Johnny, I don't think were by accident. I know what Ana Maria says is true, that some people not familiar with Johnny, might jump to conclusions but somehow I think Danny knows many people reading his books will do so because of his brother and he is playing with them. I admit that was the reason I read the book and seeing how he plays around with Johnny related subjects and people will probably be why I keep reading them. This seems to be something he is aware of and able to live with and have a bit of fun with at the same time.
I just hope he gives in a bit on the way he tends to leave the story unfinished with so many character lines. I don't know if he meant the ending as a teaser or was showing us that real life doesn't always end with all the answers. His relationship with his brother certainly does put him in a position to tease us with tidbits and sell a lot of books. I just hope he has Spandau lighten up a bit to keep them entertaining or he invents a new Terry.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

deppaura

Unread postby deppaura » Sun May 17, 2009 4:21 pm

Guess I wish we could check in with Daniel, now and then, when some of the plot issues get sticky , mysterious and unanswered. We can speculate, but he KNOWS. So, I'm left with a bit of dissatisfaction. Sorry is that's the wrong spirit for book discussion. As I said earlier going into this...Never done it before. I have enjoyed the various interpretations and enlightening viewpoints. But there are still issues that nag at me. One thing, which may have been obvious to others: Wonder why there was the move to harm Bobby at the premiere? That move from the inside that Spandau spotted when the guard unhooked the restraining rope and the crowd moved towards Bobby. Supposing Spandau was unsuccessful in rescuing Bobby? Why would they want to jeopardize their Star? Maybe I missed something? I think Daniel Depp cleverly wove in bits that peaked curiosity regarding the inside workings of Hollywood. Suggesting perhaps that he might have some special awareness due to the association with his brother. I think the fact that he is the brother of Johnny Depp gives him an attractive edge. A bit of a sales job. The writing felt like a screenplay, t.v. series. Sometimes it lacked a certain depth, but overall was enjoyable.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun May 17, 2009 6:53 pm

There were times when I was reading this book when I was amazed at some of the references you all have pointed out and laughed out loud. I'm not too worried about people taking Bobby to be Johnny and those that do obviously are not part of his fan base. Liz you left out the part about the walk to the store being downhill and I believe it was 10 blocks...or did it just feel that way on the return trip? :lol:

deppaura, it's okay to be critical of a book. There have definitely been books I liked and some not so much or ones that left me a little flat. I would like to ask Mr. Depp a question or two myself!

Thanks everyone for another great discussion. I hope to see all of you back for Dillinger!
:dillingerhello:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun May 17, 2009 10:14 pm

The little winks and nods were fun. I felt like Daniel was playing with us. Who but he and John know if any of the little bits were true? I wondered at times if Daniel slipped something in just to see if he could pull one over on us - slip in some hidden little truth and assume that we would gloss right over it......especially since it was buried in so many untruths. That added a bit of extra fun for me. Not sure if I am making sense, but I enjoyed the idea that we were so close to inside secrets - even if he didn't share any!

The discussion may be ending, I am not finished yet. I am still reading tidbits. :lol: I really got behind on this one! :banghead:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon May 18, 2009 8:09 pm

nebraska wrote:The little winks and nods were fun. I felt like Daniel was playing with us. Who but he and John know if any of the little bits were true? I wondered at times if Daniel slipped something in just to see if he could pull one over on us - slip in some hidden little truth and assume that we would gloss right over it......especially since it was buried in so many untruths. That added a bit of extra fun for me. Not sure if I am making sense, but I enjoyed the idea that we were so close to inside secrets - even if he didn't share any!

I enjoyed them too--and I have the additional ones relating to my neck of the woods. I find them more mysterious, as it were, however.

I understand about how hard it is to keep up, nebraska. I'm having my own challenges in that regard lately, as I have recently become gainfully employed. I imagine that we will be light on tidbits for Dillinger, as many of them were covered in the PE discussion.

Return to “Loser's Town”