It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Loser's Town Question #21 ~ The Ending
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:52 am 

Were you surprised at the ending?

(DITHOT note: In case you are wondering, this is not our last question. Also, we will be discussing the character of Potts in depth tomorrow. Thanks, Noodlemantras! :cool: )

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject: Re: Loser's Town Question #21 ~ The Ending
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:52 am 

I was pleasantly surprised at the ending. With only a few pages to go and Dee talking of marrying someone else, I was giving up on Dee and Spandau being together. And I thought if Daniel got them together in the few pages left, it would be unrealistic. So I was expecting an unsatisfying ending either way. But....those last three paragraphs... :bawl: I read them over and over and found them so gentle, so sweet, so touching, so meaningful. That last sentence, "She held him tightly and allowed the man she loved the small dignity of not looking up." said it all about them. Their situation is not resolved, but there is hope....because there is love. :heart:

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:58 am 

As the ending was coming - I could see that Spandau had protected Bobby - but Bobby made his own decision as to his career direction. Spandau had done his job. As for the last paragraphs with Dee - how sweet this was and how it left the reader wanting more. As you said Betty Sue - there is hope when it comes to love. :twohearts:

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:41 am 

Oops! :blush: Ladylinn's response reminds me that there was more to this book than the love story. I forgot. Soooo, I was surprised and disappointed when Bobby turned his back on Spandau but probably should have seen that coming. Bobby got himself into a position where he didn't have many choices left. And I was surprised to find Locatelli in control of everything. As an infrequent reader of detective stories, it may have been easy to surprise me. :dunce:

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:42 pm 

The ending left me sort of up in the air. As in a T.V. series. Setting me up for more? I don't want to risk any spoilers here, but, was the name of the movie mentioned at the award ceremony some sort of clue??? Did it reveal some sort of scam? The titles Crusoe and Wildfire were prevalent through out the story. Maybe my imagination is running away with me. Again, I can't go into detail because of spoilers...HUH??

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:04 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Deppaura, at this juncture I think it is fine to get into the spoilers. We're talking about the ending. So I think that is a spoiler alert right there. I'm very interested to hear your thoughts on the title of the best picture.

I was totally thrown by the ending. Everything that happened was a surprise to me. :-O And Betty Sue, I agree that Daniel handled the ending with Spandau and Dee very sweetly and very realistically, even though that is not the way I wanted it to go.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:28 pm 

The only thing that surprised me about the ending was the name of the movie. But I didn't think too much of it since we don't know if the movie being shot during the course of the book is the movie that won the award; or possibly the title of the movie in the book was changed to Loser's Town before release. We never did (I don't think) find out exactly what the movie that Richie wanted him to make was and it appears that Richie was an underling to Locatelle, who got out of control and was "offed".

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:39 pm 

Loose ends were mostly tied up but enough were left untied for the sequel. Bobby definitely sold out and found the fame and acclaim he wanted. We are left to hope for the possibility of a Dee/Spandau reunion. I'm not sure what to make of the name of the movie so I'm interested to read everyone else's thoughts on it. Was he saying that the success Bobby achieved proved the point that he had to sell out to achieve it and that made him a loser and showed Hollywood to be the loser's town we saw in the story? Not sure. :perplexed:

Shadowydog, wasn't the name of the movie being filmed Wildfire? Of course they could have changed the name before it was finished.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:24 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Yes, the movie was called Wildfire in a number of places in the book. However, like Shadowydog suggested, the movie that won may have been another movie that Bobby made that year. It seems odd that the name would be changed after having been publicly referred to as Wildfire in a TV interview with Bobby. However, we all know that can happen. I was wondering if maybe the Oscars at the end were a couple of years later. But I think that Daniel would have said so. Could be that it was symptomatic of Bobby's sellout to Locatelli in that Locatelli demonstrated his power by changing the name. And maybe it was just a symbolic device for wrapping up the book. Enquiring minds..... :-?

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:11 pm 

Or..was it the script that Stella had in mind for Bobby?? The movie he wanted Bobby to make?? Stella said it was financed. Jurado got credit as producer. The film was reputed to be a struggle to get made. Pg 289.. description of the film about a movie about a racketeer trying to force his way into Hollywood was verboten, that it was professional suicide, that nobody would ever finance it. Maybe I'm off base...but, there must be some meaning for referring to the film as "loser's town". Or was it a synopsis of the story? HELP!!

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:14 pm 

The film named was LosersTown and that threw me. What happened to Wildfire, did a different film win or did they change it so much it needed renamed? They thanked Bobby when they collected the award but was he used to promote Crusoe? Remember when the producer's security was responsible for Bobby being mobbed at the premier and not getting out to chat with the fans?
I think not only was the romantic life of Spandau and Dee, Potts and Ingrid left up in the air but what happened with Bobby and the film was also left "up there". He was at the awards with a new girl and we were lead to beleive he was in love with Irina? I hate endings with more questions than answers!
We need a detective to figure out this detective story. It wasn't a who done it but a what happened?

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:27 pm 

:lol: Good one, gemini!

Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:03 pm 
JDZ Moderator

gemini wrote:
We need a detective to figure out this detective story. It wasn't a who done it but a what happened?

I’m still laughing over this. But seriously, I didn’t care enough about Irina to wonder. And it did not surprise me that he was with someone else, being that it was Hollywood. I also didn’t feel the need to know anymore about Potts and Ingrid. The whole thing seemed so tragic that I didn’t even want to go there. I believe I have seen similar endings in movies. And being that Daniel comes from a screenwriting background, it makes sense that he might end his books with some loose ends.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:44 pm 

I was very surprised with the ending and it left me feeling kind of dirty. I think it's so ironic, and extremely hilarious, that Richie desperately wanted to break into the film business and Locatelli had an entire movie studio. He could have just asked him for a job. But my jaw dropped when Spandau found Bobby and Jurado having dinner with the mobster. To say I was disappointed that Dye could so easily turn his back on the man who risked his life to protect him, and better yet befriend the actor, is an understatement. And Spandau loses his friend in the process. I guess it's true no good deed goes unpunished. It's heartbreaking when Dee can feel Spandau crying. The moment is ripe with emotion. I felt bad for him.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:14 pm 
JDZ Moderator

I guess the point was that in Hollywood it is all about money, power and fame.

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next