Loser's Town Question #29 ~ Hollywood

by Daniel Depp

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Loser's Town Question #29 ~ Hollywood

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed May 13, 2009 7:45 am

How did you feel about the author’s view of Hollywood? What is he trying to say to us?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

fansmom

Re: Loser's Town Question #29 ~ Hollywood

Unread postby fansmom » Wed May 13, 2009 12:05 pm

Of Hollywood the industry, right?

He deglamorizes it, makes it less than alluring, shows it as the merciless, ruthless, pitiless, remorseless business that it is at the core. He's Toto, pulling back the curtain to show us the man--not the Wizard--at the levers.

Predation, big fish eating little fish. "Where's my cut; what's in it for me?"

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Wed May 13, 2009 2:21 pm

He sure showed that Hollywood is not the glamorus place that us "regular staryeyed" people are led to believe - where a star is born everyday and life is all riches and fame and big houses - diamonds, etc. As with any job, there is pitfalls and hard struggles to achieve a goal. Hollywood (movie industry) seems to have more pitfalls than average jobs. His view must be taken seriously because he has been there and seen it - and experienced some of it through his own dealings and with his brother Johnny. I think he is trying to say to us that the smart and strong survive and the weak are eaten up and taken advantage of by merciless people.

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Wed May 13, 2009 2:30 pm

Whew, fansmom!! :-O You pretty much used up all the good adjectives and analogies for this one! I agree that that was Daniel's view, and I trust that he knows. But it's scary! :fear: He's telling those who are attracted to being a part of this mess that they'd better be prepared for anything. He shows the vulnerable position actors are in; it gives me new respect for the way Johnny has handled himself in this tough biz! :applause2: And he's letting the rest of us know that the award winning finished product we see may have many underlying horrors we'll never know about. :baby:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

shadowydog

Unread postby shadowydog » Wed May 13, 2009 2:42 pm

I agree with what has been posted. I think it also give depth of meaning to Johnny's attitude that once he finishes his acting job, what happens is none of his business and he doesn't want to know about it. I think he is smart to take a script; give his best; and wash his hands of the rest.
I have nothing to do and all day to do it in.

deppaura

Unread postby deppaura » Wed May 13, 2009 2:50 pm

With a title like Loser's Town, what would you expect him to say?? It's a view that is darkly slanted. I remember somewhere in one of the interviews he did admit to the brilliance and creativity of many individuals attracted to and working in films and Hollywood. Ah, this ego driven life! As the rewards get bigger, so does the price one pays. Or so it seems. Similar struggles exist on many levels of human experience. Survival of the fittest. Whatever that represents.

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Wed May 13, 2009 4:28 pm

I totally agree with you shawdowydog. Johnny is so smart with his attitude of giving his best and walking away. :dillingerhat:

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Wed May 13, 2009 5:24 pm

You ladies have summed this question up pretty well. Danny certainly reveals the underbelly of Hollywood and society in general. I wonder how much of his attitude is from his life in general or just with Hollywood and watching his brother's career as a family insider. I am not sure what he is trying to say unless its that the magic we see is not real.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed May 13, 2009 5:56 pm

Yes, a very nice summation by all. He definitely pulls away the curtain and makes the reader realize what it takes to even survive in the industry much less become a mega-star or even less likely do it on your own terms. I agree with what you all have said about Johnny and how he has handled himself in that regard. :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

deppaura

Unread postby deppaura » Wed May 13, 2009 6:50 pm

Another thought I have is The Game and how you play it. Johnny has mentioned the need to "show a little leg" now and then. Maybe some are just blessed with charisma and play the game better. And I think the game has gotten nastier in most of the arts. Have to go underground (maybe) to avoid it.

shadowydog

Unread postby shadowydog » Wed May 13, 2009 7:47 pm

deppaura wrote:Another thought I have is The Game and how you play it. Johnny has mentioned the need to "show a little leg" now and then. Maybe some are just blessed with charisma and play the game better. And I think the game has gotten nastier in most of the arts. Have to go underground (maybe) to avoid it.

:drool: :blush: Sorrry
I have nothing to do and all day to do it in.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed May 13, 2009 8:52 pm

I wasn't really too surprised by the view Daniel gave us - having followed Johnny's career all these years from his Jump Street days when he rebelled against being packaged as a "product" to his choices of roles that were meaningful to him personally through his burst into mainstream stardom by pairing with the Disney empire.........He has educated us all along.

Yep, pretty much a business like manufacturing, was it toilet seats Daniel used as a comparison in the world of business? I think all of us are exposed to reality if we have a "job." It is all about making a buck for the guy at the top, along with the rush of power that guy can get by playing the game really well.

I don't think Hollywood is any different except that the financial stakes are higher and the game is more visible although there is a lot of illusion involved. I think Daniel just wanted us to see a more realistic picture beneath the glamor. Not necessarily the "underbelly", just realism. But I do think he might have embroidered a little to move the story along.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed May 13, 2009 10:03 pm

nebraska wrote:I wasn't really too surprised by the view Daniel gave us - having followed Johnny's career all these years from his Jump Street days when he rebelled against being packaged as a "product" to his choices of roles that were meaningful to him personally through his burst into mainstream stardom by pairing with the Disney empire.........He has educated us all along.

Yep, pretty much a business like manufacturing, was it toilet seats Daniel used as a comparison in the world of business? I think all of us are exposed to reality if we have a "job." It is all about making a buck for the guy at the top, along with the rush of power that guy can get by playing the game really well.

I don't think Hollywood is any different except that the financial stakes are higher and the game is more visible although there is a lot of illusion involved. I think Daniel just wanted us to see a more realistic picture beneath the glamor. Not necessarily the "underbelly", just realism. But I do think he might have embroidered a little to move the story along.

I wasn’t surprised that these things existed. What surprised me was that he would tell a story that was so uncomplimentary towards Hollywood. And like you say, nebraska, I don’t think we can confine such things to Hollywood. It exists in politics, finance, manufacturing, pharmaceuticals, you-name-it. When it comes to power and greed, there are no industry or geographical limits.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Thu May 14, 2009 9:32 am

fansmom wrote:Of Hollywood the industry, right?

He deglamorizes it, makes it less than alluring, shows it as the merciless, ruthless, pitiless, remorseless business that it is at the core. He's Toto, pulling back the curtain to show us the man--not the Wizard--at the levers.

Oh, I forgot shameless.

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Thu May 14, 2009 4:05 pm

fansmom wrote:
fansmom wrote:Of Hollywood the industry, right?

Oh, I forgot shameless.

:rotflmao: Wondered why you left that out!!??
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Return to “Loser's Town”