Loser's Town Question #28 ~ Symbolism

by Daniel Depp

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Loser's Town Question #28 ~ Symbolism

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue May 12, 2009 7:45 am

Deppaura reported from a book signing that Daniel meant the names Potts (as in a pot) and Spandau (as in a prison) to be symbolic for being contained as a reflection on their characters. Below is an excerpt from her report:

And, yes, he also has concepts for novels. He mentioned that the name Spandau was purposeful representing a prison. Spandau was a German prison. The name Potts was also especially chosen. It is another "container".

What do you think of the names for these characters? Do you see any other symbolism in the book?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

ladylinn

Re: Loser's Town Question #28 ~ Symbolism

Unread postby ladylinn » Tue May 12, 2009 12:18 pm

I am completely "blown away" by this symbolism. Daniel naming Spandau and Potts really makes sense to me when knowing what he thought about the characters and how he developed them. I am certainly not quailified to go any further with his question. What research must go into writing a novel. :-O

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue May 12, 2009 12:28 pm

I'm blown away, too, ladylinn. I didn't really get the full impact of the name symbolism until I had finished the book.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Tue May 12, 2009 3:54 pm

I like book discussions because they bring out so much I miss as I blithely run through a story....like symbolism. :dunce: I, too, was impressed that Daniel carefully chose names, but I forgot to think about it as I read and had trouble with it today. The name Potts, especially with no use of his biblical given name, always sounded clunky. And I guess the symbolism is of an empty container, one that needs to be filled with something good in order to be worthwhile. Spandau's name always sounded strong to me, and I guess it would be associated with emotional isolation, loneliness, feelings held prisoner. Bobby Dye's name seemed similar to Johnny Depp (name only!!), and maybe his last name symbolized something fake and changeable.
Would love to hear more about the symbolism!
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

deppaura

Unread postby deppaura » Tue May 12, 2009 4:01 pm

I think it's soo intriguing. The author's secret intentions? Each of these characters emotionally imprisoned, contained? Who would think to look for clues in the characters names? That's why Loser Town, at the end, got me. Wonder what else lurks? Maybe that's the secret, check for "clues".

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue May 12, 2009 6:26 pm

I tried looking at the names of the women for some clues but I didn't get very far. I'm not necessarily the best one at this sort of thing though. I do remember that we saw symbolism in The Glass Books that the author had not intended. Who us, overanalyze? :lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Tue May 12, 2009 7:29 pm

I am not very good at symbolism. Trygirl where are you? I can see Spandau meaning prison but it was a stretch for me to get Potts as a container until I saw Betty Sue's post explaining his as an empty container. I looked at the list of names and couldn't see anything, but Pookie made me think of kooky. Squire means shield carrier for a knight. Duh, Richie is certainly no knight. Is there something I am missing here? The only symbolism I saw was the obvious that Loser Town, like real life, does not always end with a happy ending.
Bobby Dye could mean a different color as in presenting himself as always different as in actor. Or I hope he didn't mean as in "die".
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue May 12, 2009 9:44 pm

Gemini, your suggested symbolism for “Dye” is good. But I looked at Bobby Dye’s name exactly the way Betty Sue did. It has the same ring to it that Johnny’s name does, and both of the last names begin with a D and are one syllable. Betty Sue, I congratulate you on the container analogy. I just hadn’t taken it that extra step.

There is one person’s name that has been driving me nuts for the past 2 months. It is the exact same name as a local business person in my neck of the woods. And we all know that Daniel is very familiar with my neck of the woods. So I can’t help but wonder if it means something. But I won’t say what the name is so as to protect the person and the family. And I still don’t get what he was trying to say about Rio del Mar, which is the beach I walk to every couple of weeks. :perplexed:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue May 12, 2009 10:15 pm

suec, I think this one is right up your alley too! Help!

Wow! What a ride!

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Tue May 12, 2009 11:10 pm

How about Dee having what sounds like an initial instead of a name? Makes me think of anonymity.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Wed May 13, 2009 6:15 pm

I sort of thought of a symbolism just from Liz and Betty Sue's point about Bobby Dye's name. I did see a lot of symbolism for Johnny in Bobby Dye when I read the book but since some of it was not like him or not very flattering, I was hesitant to start down that road . Plus, Danny said the book was not about Johnny. Oh well, Don't start thowing the rotten tomatoes at me!

Bobby was a "Bobby" not a Bob like in Johnny vs John. Yes I see what you ladies mean about the last name starting with D and only 3 letters. Bobby also dated a beautiful model and thought himself in love with her. He also didn't end up with her in the end.
He really did have a great collection of books and Spandau, not sure at first, began to believe he did read them and they were not for show. Bobby smoked French cigarettes. Bobby had been into drugs, he had some rock in his house that he smoked with the girl who overdosed. Bobby was a looker and idolized by the female audience. Bobby made a statement; " This whole star trip is bullshit ,,,, I’m going to do a small film. Something like Cassavetes. Maybe I’ll stop acting altogether. You know, get into a position where I got some control. Produce, direct. Stop being a meat puppet.”
Johnny started his own film company to get more control of his career and doesn't like to think of himself as a babe magnet but a character actor not afraid of marring his looks.
I guess these things apply to many actors but there is a lot of symbolism here that applies to Johnny. Okay, ducking now :fear:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Thu May 14, 2009 6:57 am

gemini, you make some excellent comparisons between Bobby and Johnny. I think we have bent over backwards to avoid any comparison between the two because Daniel says the book is not about his brother. Johnny's story is an interesting and colorful one and he is a human being with a fault or two here and there, just like anyone else. If Daniel used some of his experiences with his brother for raw inspiration and wove bits of it into the fictional tale of Bobby Dye, I think he made wise use of experience.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri May 15, 2009 10:11 am

gemini, no need to duck. I think all of us saw some Johnny references in Bobby but it doesn't necessarily make him biographical, maybe more of a brotherly nod and a wink? Daniel knows the business through his own experiences as well as those of his brother so it seems natural that he would draw on what he knows.

Wow! What a ride!

trygirl

Unread postby trygirl » Tue May 19, 2009 5:45 pm

Gemini, this book has very little symbolism. I only came up with Bobby Dye. Dyes are used to alter things and Spandau is changed after meeting the rising actor. I think Bobby leaves a permanent stain on the man. All thoughts appear "colored" by the ambitious film star.
I'm not a brand, I'm more of a variety. - Johnny Depp

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed May 20, 2009 7:13 pm

Interesting, trygirl. I had thought of the name Dye in a literal sense!

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Loser's Town”