Loser's Town Question #28 ~ Symbolism

by Daniel Depp

Moderator: Liz

suec

Re: Loser's Town Question #28 ~ Symbolism

Unread postby suec » Sun May 24, 2009 1:40 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:suec, I think this one is right up your alley too! Help!

You know me so well :lol: I do tend to think in symbolic terms, but as you know, I therefore tend to read into things that were never intended by the author. That may well prove to be the case again here, but this is what I can remember of the book - it's a while now since I read it. (And I must also add, sorry to not have kept up with the discussion overall. It is my busiest time of year at work and plus I have been engaged in some battles - but it turns out that not all symbolic gestures are futile :grin: I can now try and catch up here a bit)

David reminds me of David & Goliath, except in this case, David loses and the Philistines win.

I also think that Potts and Ingrid is a very odd pairing of names, just like the two people.

Richie Stella: Richie = money; stella = stellar = to do with the stars, in this case, movie stars, and his aspirations.

Collateral Pictures reminds me of collateral damage, which I think Spandau is, to some extent, although they go out of their way to rub his nose in it. But then he isn't the only one. And also, I guess, in another interpretation, collateral may be the photos that they have on Bobby Dye.

Other symbolism:
I’ve already said I think the driving is symbolic in that the roads equate to the rat maze. At the start of the book, Potts already has that sense of being driven, not driving (which he literally is by Squiers). There’s a lack of control and the piece that we discussed earlier brings that out very clearly for me. Hence the need for the Harley Davidson I suppose. This can be contrasted with Spandau, who can exercise some independence at the start of the book, and take the direction he wants to. Also it ‘s a sense of isolation in a crowded city.

Spandau’s fish pond, with the fish being eaten by the raccoons is most deppinitely symbolic IMO: death; predatory creatures; Spandau’s inability to prevent it; thwarted hopes.

Spandau’s physical injuries: the thumb (self-inflicted accident) and the injury from the stunt where he fell out of a building but someone had moved his soft landing = dude gets hurt in other ways. A form of foreshadowing for what happens later.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Mon May 25, 2009 8:55 am

Wow!! What great insights!! :applause2: We missed you, suec!! Thanks!! :bouquet:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Mon May 25, 2009 10:03 am

Suec - :bouquet: outstanding insight!! You really opened my eyes :yikes:

trygirl

Unread postby trygirl » Mon May 25, 2009 10:33 am

You did a wonderful job, suec!
I'm not a brand, I'm more of a variety. - Johnny Depp

suec

Unread postby suec » Mon May 25, 2009 2:36 pm

Thank you :blush:
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon May 25, 2009 10:14 pm

I will share in the accolades. :applause2: I especially like this one:

suec wrote:Spandau’s physical injuries: the thumb (self-inflicted accident) and the injury from the stunt where he fell out of a building but someone had moved his soft landing = dude gets hurt in other ways. A form of foreshadowing for what happens later.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue May 26, 2009 5:59 pm

I knew you were our Go To Noodlemantra on this one! I hope your life will be calmer soon and congratulations on winning a battle! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

bluebird

Unread postby bluebird » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:04 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:I tried looking at the names of the women for some clues but I didn't get very far. I'm not necessarily the best one at this sort of thing though. I do remember that we saw symbolism in The Glass Books that the author had not intended. Who us, overanalyze? :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
The edge … there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. HST

Return to “Loser's Town”