Loser's Town Question #26 ~ Dreams

by Daniel Depp

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Loser's Town Question #26 ~ Dreams

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun May 10, 2009 10:56 am

From the interview Depp Lifts Lid on La La Land:

"The fact is, Hollywood is a place you go to with your dreams and your dreams make you vulnerable. Dreams are something that people will use to manipulate you, to get what they want, not what you want."

Is it dangerous to follow your dreams? Tie into the characters in the book.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

ladylinn

Re: Loser's Town Question #26 ~ Dreams

Unread postby ladylinn » Sun May 10, 2009 1:22 pm

Everything begins with a dream! Growing up, education, successful business, marriage, children, I could go on and on. Dreams are not dangerous if they are your own - not someone else's. In Loser's Town dreams were vulnerable. Bobby wanted fame at any cost. Ritchie dreamed of control of others and being "top dog". Spandau dreamed of a life without complications. (Don't we all?) Potts' wanted his daughter and a normal home with her. Ingrid - I couldn't figure what her real dream was for the future. Too complex or maybe not enough info into her mindset. Need some help, here!!

P.S. Happy Mother's Day - my most precious dream come true - my children and grandchildren!! :smiliewithhearts:

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Sun May 10, 2009 1:57 pm

Good dreams should not involve sacrificing your soul. That's what Bobby and Richie and Locatelli and Jurado all seemed willing to do...and Potts and Squiers to a certain extent. Spandau and Dee were very cautious, not about to sell their souls for their dreams. Wasn't sure what dreams some of the others had or how far they might go to reach them.
It shouldn't be dangerous to follow your dreams. :fear: As ladylinn said, life involves many dreams one hopes to have come true. And we're encouraged to dream big and go after them (ethically and safely!!! :hope: ). Personally, I've always felt like I just kinda let life happen to me and should have set up some dreams to pursue, but they probably were quietly underneath everything I was doing anyway. Whatever, it worked, and I, too, am happily celebrating Mother's Day! :love: And wish all you Moms and Grandmoms a really happy one!! :smiliewithhearts:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun May 10, 2009 2:11 pm

Good answers! Not sure I have much to add to what has already been said.

Happy Mother's Day to all of you!

deppaura

Unread postby deppaura » Sun May 10, 2009 7:04 pm

I agree with Nebraska..good things already said. Just a thought on dreams. They need to be kept in check. Unfortunately there is a negative side as well. As when they are not realistic or they get in the way of good judgement or are distracting. And we were given many examples of that throughout the book. Mismanagement of dreams. Yes, Ladies, enjoy Mother's Day!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sun May 10, 2009 8:41 pm

I guess my answer depends on how we define dreams. Are we thinking goals as in life goals or dreams of things that might be. Doesn't everyone dream of ultimate success in whatever the endeavor? Was the ambitious Jurado better at attaining his dreams or the dogged Spandau who just keeps going forward following his own path? Potts was really planning and making an effort for the dream of living with his daughter, nearly everything he did was aimed at getting what he needed to make that happen. He sure was working towards a goal. Then there was my buddy Terry, he seemed to let life happen around him and just enjoy it with no real goals. Did he have a dream? Then there are the unplanned things like luck and fate that sometimes play havoc with dreams.
Is it dangerous to follow your dreams?
Sure it could be but I suppose we all wish that our dreams are attainable without danger.

Happy Mothers Day ladies.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun May 10, 2009 10:18 pm

I think in the context of Hollywood Daniel showed us how dangerous it could be if you weren't strong enough or smart enough to see through the smoke and mirrors or if you let yourself be blinded by the dream of success. Dreams are a fine goal to be sure, where would we be without them? Bobby might have been the only one that achieved his and I wonder how he felt about it once he got there. Maybe we will find out...

Happy Mother's Day!!!
:bouquet:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Sun May 10, 2009 11:44 pm

I know you said to tie it in to the characters, but I just can't help but post what I always think of when anyone mentions dreams. The wonderful poet Langston Hughes said in his tiny poem "Dreams"

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.

Hold fast to dreams
For when dreams go
Life is a barren field
Frozen with snow.

And thinking about it a bit more, I guess that applies to everyones' dreams - Bobby's, Spandau's, Potts's, Ingrid's, all of them. If we don't have a dream, we don't have a life, I guess is what I'm saying.
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon May 11, 2009 12:07 am

Well, I never really thought of falling your dreams as being dangerous per se. But I guess that can be the case if pursuing them backfires. Sometimes that can be the case, when you pursue a dream. If it comes true you might find out that it wasn’t what you really wanted in the first place…..or it might go sour somehow…..or the dream might change and you pursue something else. Dreams (even if they weren’t meant to last) can lead to other better things.

In the case of the characters, I think many of the characters’ pursuits of their dreams turned very dangerous—"mismanagement" is a good term for them, Deppaura:

Terry’s unrealistic dream that he’d bring Richie down and everything would work out for him and Allison was very naïve on his part.

Potts’s dream of a successful and honorable future turned sour because he was too blind to his goal to realize that breaking Terry’s legs was not going to end happily.

Richie’s dreams were dangerous to himself because he was too greedy.

Bobby’s dreams were dangerous to everyone he touched.

Allison didn’t appear to have any dreams. Maybe she should have.

Happy Mothers Day to all the mothers out there. I hope all of your children’s dreams come true.......and yours do too.
:hope:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon May 11, 2009 12:20 am

Bix wrote:I know you said to tie it in to the characters, but I just can't help but post what I always think of when anyone mentions dreams. The wonderful poet Langston Hughes said in his tiny poem "Dreams"

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.

Hold fast to dreams
For when dreams go
Life is a barren field
Frozen with snow.

And thinking about it a bit more, I guess that applies to everyones' dreams - Bobby's, Spandau's, Potts's, Ingrid's, all of them. If we don't have a dream, we don't have a life, I guess is what I'm saying.

That's a great poem, Bix. And it reminded me of your New Years toast to all of us back in 2006.... "And I hope, somewhere in 2006, you surprise yourself." I think this idea balances out the dreams. I think we can get locked into dreams and not see what we really want. I think your point is to be open to whatever cards life deals you because if you aren't open, you might miss something really special. I just think there needs to be a balance and a willingness to consider all possibilities. :chill:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “Loser's Town”