It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Loser's Town Question #24 ~ Character Rants and Raves
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:43 am 

Did you have a most or a least favorite character in the book? Who and why?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject: Re: Loser's Town Question #24 ~
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:10 am 

Different characters were favorites in different ways. Dee wasn't the most vivid character in the book, but she was the one I could best understand and care about. It was easy for me to get into the skin of a teacher from a boisterous family who trusted people and never wanted to betray them. I love her strong but gentle ways but was frustrated that she, like Spandau, couldn't quite come out and say what was on her mind when they were together. Her story was quietly tragic. We didn't learn a lot about why her marriage to Spandau only lasted five years, but we know they still love each other. And it seems that Spandau still has some dragons from the past to slay before he's ready for a good relationship. I really want to see this relationship develop in the future books! :twohearts:

Post subject: Re: Loser's Town Question #24 ~
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:31 am 

Had a hard time narrowing this down. As for most liked - Dee of course and Terry - but also liked Pookie. Her part was small but she came across for me as funny and very comfortable in her own weird way. Spandau was liked because he was so level in his demeanor. As for least liked -toss up between Richie Stella and Annie. Richie was a user and a blood sucker until there was no more left. Got what he deserved! Annie was so ill tempered and rude and hateful to all around her. All of Daniel's cast of characters really made the story interesting and would have been boring without their differences.

Post subject: Re: Loser's Town Question #24 ~ Character Rants and Raves
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:48 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Betty Sue and ladylinn, I have a hard time picking just one too. Ladylinn, I think you put it perfectly when you said: “All of Daniel's cast of characters really made the story interesting and would have been boring without their differences.”

I would say that my favorite characters were Spandau, Terry, Potts & Ingrid. The reason is the same for all—that they were written in ways that sucked me in to their lives where I was actually caring for them.

I do have a least favorite, though…….Richie, for obvious reasons. I viewed him as the lowest of the lowest in human beings. He had no value for human beings or for their lives.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:43 pm 

Liz wrote:
Betty Sue and ladylinn, I have a hard time picking just one too. Ladylinn, I think you put it perfectly when you said: “All of Daniel's cast of characters really made the story interesting and would have been boring without their differences.”

I would say that my favorite characters were Spandau, Terry, Potts & Ingrid. The reason is the same for all—that they were written in ways that sucked me in to their lives where I was actually caring for them.

I do have a least favorite, though…….Richie, for obvious reasons. I viewed him as the lowest of the lowest in human beings. He had no value for human beings or for their lives.

I thought Locatelli beat out Richie in the how low can you go catagory hands down. He used Richie and then got rid of him when he became a liability.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:59 pm 
JDZ Moderator

shadowydog wrote:
Liz wrote:

I thought Locatelli beat out Richie in the how low can you go catagory hands down. He used Richie and then got rid of him when he became a liability.

You have a point there, Shadowydog. I think the reason Richie stands out more for me is that his character was developed more than Locatelli. And when we finally see what Locatelli is about, he offs my least favorite character. I guess I gave Sal a couple of points for that one. :lol:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:55 pm 

Squiers was my least favorite. Empty headed, drugged oaf. Darlene wasn't too swift either, for fairly obvious reasons. Favorite is tricky. I think of the women, Allison. Even though she slept with Stella. Funny how we choose these favorites. Are they particularly familiar personally? Do we connect with them? I was a single mother, so I related to her concern for her child. There was a certain dignity and resourcefulness about her. As, I stated somewhere before, I really enjoyed Pookie. Having such great fun in Hollywood!! Favorite male? hmmm, Daniel Depp..oops, oh sorry! Maybe I suspect there is something of Daniel in Spandau. And, probably something of Potts. I think Potts was the most successfully developed character. Pretty easy to figure out. To understand whether you would up liking him or not. Spandau had a few layers too many, maybe? Seriously, I felt as though this is a work in progress. Daniel handed us the full banana. I think he made the comment about the trick of having the characters move on in new novels and remain the "same" or true to the initial image. Stay somewhat constant, yet, interesting. So, I felt I was introduced to Spandau and may get to know him better as time goes on.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:41 pm 

deppaura, I like what you said about Spandau. I think Daniel held back on his character waiting to reveal more in future stories. I think Potts was probably my favorite because he was the most developed character and therefore we got to know him better and feel empathy/sympathy towards him. I also liked Terry and am sad we won't see more of him but I connected more with Potts.

As for the women, I think we will see more and learn more about Dee which I am looking forward to. I liked Allison because she seemed very real and Ingrid too.

As for the least liked characters the bad guys were fairly broadly drawn and easy to dislike. Overall I think it was a very character driven story and I enjoyed getting to "know" them.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:22 am 
JDZ Moderator

deppaura wrote:
I think of the women, Allison. Even though she slept with Stella. Funny how we choose these favorites. Are they particularly familiar personally? Do we connect with them?

That’s quite astute of you, deppaura. I think my favorite female character was probably Ingrid. But it wasn’t because she was like me—it was because I think I would like to be like her. I can’t really relate to any of the women except for maybe Pookie--but that’s just on a surface level. I did find them all very interesting, though—and that is probably because I can’t relate to them.

I thought it was a very character driven story too, DITHOT. And this surprised me because I never thought of mysteries as being character driven. There are many things I like about this book, but I think the character aspect might be its strongest element, IMHO.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:35 am 

I will cast my "favorite" vote for Potts. We knew him the best, I think. Because we were inside of his head so much of the time, his horrid behavior seemed less awful than if we had seen only his actions.

I did like Spandau quite a lot as well, also because I was aware of his inner thoughts and struggles which made him more sympathetic.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 6:05 am 

Potts was my favourite too. I liked Spandau and Terry too but I found Potts a wee bit more interesting. Of the women, I can't say I really identified with any of them except Pookie :lol:I have fun changing my image too. But overall, I identified with some of the male charcters more than the female ones. I liked Dee, but wasn't interested in her at all. For me, that part of the book where Spandau visits the ranch and there's all that stuff about their relationship, dragged a bit. (Just my personal response and the nearest I'll come to a rant because I really like this book on the whole). I liked Mary. Annie - well, she was very objectionable at first and Daniel seemed to be painting her large in that role, but I liked what she said to Spandau when he rescued Bobby. I suspect that she's made up her mind that in her line of business, to succeed, you have to be a **** breaker, and in that town, it seems she's right. Being nice doesn't get you very far, does it? Squiers and Richie were horrible but I didn't much like Bobby either.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:58 pm 

Potts was the most interesting to read but I liked Terry best because he was the only fun in the story. No big goals, just wanted to love someone and get by. He seemed to take life as it came but was tough when he needed to be. I really had a hard time liking Spandau. He was just too much of a stick in the mud straight arrow for me. He was so laid back he watched a wife he loved find someone else and didn't say a word. :banghead:
My least favorite was definitely Squires, who certainly had a screw loose.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:43 pm 
JDZ Moderator

I'll agree with you, gemini, that Spandau wasn't all that exciting at times. But I liked him as a person.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:35 pm 

Potts was my favorite character too. He's an excellent study in self sabotage. You really grasp the desolation he feels. I actually found myself caring more about Potts than Spandau. My second favorite would be Terry. He's colorful, funny and dangerous. The motto, "I'm a lover, not a fighter" comes to mind when I think of him. I did like Spandau but the boy scout characterization was banal. He didn't keep my attention like other characters. And none of the women stood out for me. Dee was the most realistic yet boring. I might need to see more of her personality in future books. I also really liked Ingrid. She's in a rut, she's stuck, and she's desperate for a little excitement. Though I kept thinking she was going to get Potts into trouble, and she ultimately does. He's motivated by visions of a future with Ingrid and Brittany. My least favorite is Jurado. I saw him as your typical Hollywood sleaze ball out to have the world. I wanted Spandau to pummel him.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:46 pm 

trygirl, I kept waiting for Spandau to somehow break out...okay there's a question there and it's coming up soon... so :shhh:

As difficult as the scene was on the boat at least we saw it all with Potts, his desperation and the result.

Wow! What a ride!

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ]