Loser's Town Question #23 ~ A Self-Fulfilling Prophesy

by Daniel Depp

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Loser's Town Question #23 ~ A Self-Fulfilling Prophesy

Unread postby Liz » Thu May 07, 2009 9:30 am

Pg. 195: “Things this good just didn’t happen in real life, not to guys like Potts. If they did, it was a :censored: trick or a joke by God designed to take some of the starch out of you. That’s what his old man always said.”

Are we deluding ourselves when things are too good into thinking that life will turn around for us?

Were Potts’s actions at the end of the book fulfilling a self-prophesy?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Betty Sue

Re: Loser's Town Question #23 ~ A Self-Fulfilling Prophesy

Unread postby Betty Sue » Thu May 07, 2009 10:17 am

Not sure if you're asking if we think things will turn around for the better or for the worse when things are going too well for us. Must say that I start getting a little nervous when things are going too well :baby: ...but try just to enjoy the ride while it lasts.
It seemed like Potts felt destined to live a life of misery and failure, and my first reaction to the question was that he was fulfilling a self-prophesy; he never seemed able to step out of the role of loser. His father's words were always echoing in his head. :sad: Yet I like to think that he had a plan, a vision, a motivation that would have led to a better ending if only he had given up a life of crime earlier. He bought the house for Brittany. He wanted to be a good father. He had a woman who loved him and the prospect of a decent business. But why didn't he just borrow the money from Ingrid after she offered instead of getting involved in this mess? :-? Hmmmnn...guess I'm a little indecisive on this one... :perplexed:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Thu May 07, 2009 10:42 am

When things are going really well for me - I have this little (sometimes big) voice in the back of my head - "wait until the other shoe drops"! I think this is a weakness in my character. :blush: Wow! don't like to anaylze myself!!! :fear: Like you said Betty Sue - should just try and enjoy the ride! With Potts' low self esteem, he was always looking for the bad instead of enjoying the good. His self prophesy was formed by his past mistakes - choosing a life of crime and not being able to correct this decision. If he had been stronger, he did have opportunities to have a better life with his daughter and Ingrid and a good business. Why didn't he? Guess we can only wonder - maybe a work in progress :perplexed:

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Thu May 07, 2009 10:46 am

Still mulling it over...and remembered that Potts did not see himself as ever being a killer, though others did. So that part wasn't a self-prophesy. And what was one reason he didn't care to kill? Because all he wanted was his daughter back and killing would not accomplish that. He was so right! :bawl:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Thu May 07, 2009 2:05 pm

When I really think about this question it brings back that when things were really going good, I was too young and immature to think of them changing. It is only when you have seen things take a turn for the worse that you start cherishing when things go good but like ladylinn says then you are always waiting for that other shoe to drop.
I think I like Potts because even though he felt he was a loser he kept trying.
A self fulfilling prophesy? Hmmmm
Somehow bad luck comes to mind. Potts sure didn't see it coming and he knew he had to escape the life style and was hoping to survive the last bid deal. Then there is, he always knew Squires was a loose cannon and spent his time baiting him so maybe he was unconsciously fulfilling his prophecy.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

deppaura

Unread postby deppaura » Thu May 07, 2009 3:40 pm

Well, due to conscience, and misjudgement, Potts indulged in those drugs. So, was it the real Potts who lost his way? Or a drug induced other being? After Squiers, Potts thinking processes were doomed. As we know one act spiraled crazily into another. O.K., low self esteem was at the bottom of all his actions from the get go. The whole conduct of his life. He might have been able to handle this last situation, squeek by, if not for the dope. Very sad. I think it's a sort of folk superstition that makes us "wait for the other shoe to drop". We can let past experiences set us up for the future. Like, I often resist getting too excited about something because it can be such a let down if things don't work out. Not good, because it can diminish the fun of the moment!!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu May 07, 2009 3:57 pm

Betty Sue, I think that you have answered, as has everyone else, in the manner that I intended. Just to clarify, what I meant by the first question was…..Is Potts’s dad correct? If our life is going really well, is it a trick? Is good fortune only fleeting?

Betty Sue wrote: Still mulling it over...and remembered that Potts did not see himself as ever being a killer, though others did. So that part wasn't a self-prophesy. And what was one reason he didn't care to kill? Because all he wanted was his daughter back and killing would not accomplish that. He was so right! :bawl:

Did he actually kill in the past? I can’t remember. I think I was surprised he had it in him to kill so mercilessly on the boat….to become so out of control, like he did. I think he wanted to believe that he could turn his life around and that things would work out for him. But the other part of him didn’t believe it, didn’t trust it, due to his past experience. I suppose the drugs could have sent him over the edge, but I think it went deeper than that.

I will join the crowd here and admit that I'm always waiting for that other shoe to drop too. :-/

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu May 07, 2009 9:11 pm

Was it a self-fulfilling prophecy? In a way I think it was. I was surprised at Potts' actions and it made me consider why he would have done it. Was it frustration over his situation in life? He always wanted something better but didn't think he deserved it. The sections about wanting the normal and/or finer things in his life like his daughter, his backyard, Ingrid and the Blue Boy painting I thought were very telling about him. He wanted better things for himself but couldn't make himself believe that he could have them or that he deserved them. I think what happened on the boat was his anger boiling over into a rage against his life that he couldn't contain.

As far as things going well being a trick and good fortune being fleeting...life is not static, it is a series of changes, for good and for bad. The good doesn't last forever and neither does the bad - although it doesn't always feel that way.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri May 08, 2009 6:27 am

There is an old saying "What you think about, you bring about." I know people who firmly believe that if you think positive thoughts things will turn out the way you want them to. I think there is a lot of truth to that, and Potts constant negative thinking could bring nothing but disaster. He kept making bad choices but his thought pattern had to influence him in his actions.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri May 08, 2009 1:50 pm

nebraska wrote:There is an old saying "What you think about, you bring about." I know people who firmly believe that if you think positive thoughts things will turn out the way you want them to. I think there is a lot of truth to that, and Potts constant negative thinking could bring nothing but disaster. He kept making bad choices but his thought pattern had to influence him in his actions.

I agree with that way of thinking, nebraska. That is one reason why I don't give up on my hopes.

Return to “Loser's Town”