Loser's Town Question #21 ~ The Ending

by Daniel Depp

Moderator: Liz

suec

Re: Loser's Town Question #21 ~ The Ending

Unread postby suec » Tue May 26, 2009 4:38 am

I really liked the ending. I was very surprised by the film's title and that the events of the book were made into a film by Collateral Pictures. I assume that's what happened anyway: that the one night in February wasn't necessarily the very next one but I'm not sure about that. But I loved it as a twist in the tale and as a comment on the ruthlessness and callousness of the business, that they would use people's lives and deaths in this way and with what would surely be indecent haste. The bit that had me wincing was Jurado's bit in his speech: "You know, I'd like to thank all the little people who made this film possible" because I took those little people to be Terry, Spandau, etc. I don't mean that Jurado menat it that way, just that that's who the little people really were That was quite an emotional wringer. And Richie made it to the movies after all, as a character. :lol:

As for the rest, Bobby's behaviour didn't surprise me at all. I never had a high opinion of him but to be fair also, I don't suppose he had much choice. But his true character was revealed in his reaction to the dead girl at the start of the book. However, Locatelli's sudden, brutal and utterly effective way of dealing with Spandau did leave me feeling a little breathless. I don't think it should have done, though, with hindsight, because the writing was there on the wall all along.

I liked the moment with Dee very much. I thought it was bang on.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue May 26, 2009 6:01 pm

But I loved it as a twist in the tale and as a comment on the ruthlessness and callousness of the business, that they would use people's lives and deaths in this way and with what would surely be indecent haste.

Nothing is sacred in the business. I'm willing to be they changed the story for the movie too!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Tue May 26, 2009 7:00 pm

suec wrote:I really liked the ending. I was very surprised by the film's title and that the events of the book were made into a film by Collateral Pictures. I assume that's what happened anyway: that the one night in February wasn't necessarily the very next one but I'm not sure about that. But I loved it as a twist in the tale and as a comment on the ruthlessness and callousness of the business, that they would use people's lives and deaths in this way and with what would surely be indecent haste. The bit that had me wincing was Jurado's bit in his speech: "You know, I'd like to thank all the little people who made this film possible" because I took those little people to be Terry, Spandau, etc. I don't mean that Jurado menat it that way, just that that's who the little people really were That was quite an emotional wringer. And Richie made it to the movies after all, as a character. :lol:

As for the rest, Bobby's behaviour didn't surprise me at all. I never had a high opinion of him but to be fair also, I don't suppose he had much choice. But his true character was revealed in his reaction to the dead girl at the start of the book. However, Locatelli's sudden, brutal and utterly effective way of dealing with Spandau did leave me feeling a little breathless. I don't think it should have done, though, with hindsight, because the writing was there on the wall all along.

I liked the moment with Dee very much. I thought it was bang on.

I have been enjoying a little free time away from the zone since we are not into a book right now, but it is nice to pop in and find suec posting to keep us well entertained in the mean time. I don't necessarily agree with you about liking the ending as I am more in agreement with trygirl and her comment "I guess it's true no good deed goes unpunished."

That said. I have to agree with you about the twist in the ending being a surprise and a comment on the ruthlessness and callousness of the business. I agree that Bobbys behavior should not have been a surprise given the rest of the story but I was hoping for more from him. I also loved the moment with Dee but it didn't inspire me to seeing a happy ending for them. It made me sad.. I did really enjoy your comments and it made me think through the ending again.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue May 26, 2009 11:42 pm

I, too, am glad to see suec’s post here as I am not ready to let the discussion go. I agree with her interpretation of “the little people”. I remembered thinking the same thing when I read it, but forgot about it later.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed May 27, 2009 9:13 pm

gemini, I agree with your comments about Bobby. I was hoping for a turnaround for him as well. I suppose the fact that we didn't see it just reinforces what Daniel is saying about the business and Hollywood. I also think the fact that we didn't see a turnaround in him makes us more sympathetic towards Spandau because we wanted that resolution for his efforts.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Loser's Town”