Loser's Town Question #20 ~ Style

by Daniel Depp

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Re: Loser's Town Question #20 ~ Style

Unread postby Liz » Tue May 05, 2009 4:22 pm

AnaMaria wrote: I liked the writing style in the last part of the book better than the first part.

:ohyes: I hadn't really zeroed in on the style in this regard, but I liked the book better as it moved along, too. I'm not sure if it was the story weaving or the style. But I think it might have been the style.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Tue May 05, 2009 9:52 pm

I am not good at picking up style, just what I like and don't like. I thought he was very descriptive and I liked his telling the story from a 3rd party except even that got a little "different" when he quit describing the characters and slipped into the family drive through LA. I followed right along though so I can't complain. I didn't think I liked detective stories but since he called this one I may change my mind. I didn't find this a "who done it". He did keep me interested enough to read straight through the book which is a plus for me. If I get bored I switch books back and forth. He does tend to show the hard side of life, which I usually avoid with reading fantasy. He is not much of a romantic which isn't to my liking but I can't fault his truthfulness.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

trygirl

Unread postby trygirl » Fri May 08, 2009 9:31 pm

I enjoyed Daniel's writing style. The book was funny, smart, a little dark but not too vile. It was an easy read and that's always good. I also came away from the story with a pretty decent sense of the characters. But the plot could have been a tad more original than a blackmailing scheme. And it really didn't keep me on the edge of my seat. I also think killing off Terry McGuinn was a mistake because he would have made for interesting fodder with future tales. However, if there's a sequel, I will surely read it. Spandau has grown on me.
I'm not a brand, I'm more of a variety. - Johnny Depp

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri May 08, 2009 11:29 pm

trygirl, I think we have an accord that we will miss Terry in any future adventures!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Loser's Town”