Loser's Town Question #18 ~ Stand-up Comics & Myster Writers

by Daniel Depp

Moderator: Liz

trygirl

Re: Loser's Town Question #18 ~ Stand-up Comics & Myster Writers

Unread postby trygirl » Sun May 03, 2009 9:33 am

I really have nothing significant to add but comedians are definitely given more leeway than regular people these days. They're allowed to say things which may not be politically correct or endured by others under the guise of humor. We all know jokes are one of the best devices used to relay messages and faux pas. It's just easier to process human stupidity or injustice when a favorite laugh doctor is making us spray drink through our nose during standup night. Of course not all jokes need to make you think but the world has definitely benefited from political lampooning, satire, and quipsters. But when a joke goes too far, then surely the public holds guilty parties accountable. I'm reminded of many humorists forced to eat a routine or cartoon gone wrong. Then derision is out of hand.
I'm not a brand, I'm more of a variety. - Johnny Depp

suec

Unread postby suec » Sun May 03, 2009 10:02 am

Well, there was certainly an instance of that in the UK last year, (Jonathon Ross and Russell Brand), that cooked up quite a controversy and opened up a debate about what is fair game and tasteful in humour and whether or not those boundaries should apply.
I think comics can tell the truth because that's what a lot of good humour is. We laugh at something because we recognise it. It does seem to go hand in hand with criticism; a lot of humour is negative. Mystery writing is a good genre to choose for criticism because it allows for exploration of the dark side of society. A detective will inevitably explore crimes and sins and expose nasty little secrets and venture into all walks of life as the case demands. So I think it's a good genre to choose. But I don't think that others don't apply. Dickens used his books to criticise society and didn't a certain HST also do that? But then again, I wouldn't want to call them genre writers. Sci-fi and fantasy can comment on society too.
Last edited by suec on Mon May 04, 2009 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun May 03, 2009 7:11 pm

What about film makers like Michael Moore or documentary film? Although coming from a comedian it may make it easier to swallow. Excellent answers, Noodlemantras! :applause2:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Tue May 05, 2009 1:56 pm

fansmom wrote:
nebraska wrote:but most of the books we have discussed here have a deeper meaning if we take time to look.
Oh, and we do take the time, don't we, my fellow queens of over-analysis! :applause2:

So true and I don't see any of us wanting to recover from this phobia soon. :bounce:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue May 05, 2009 2:59 pm

gemini wrote:
fansmom wrote:
nebraska wrote:but most of the books we have discussed here have a deeper meaning if we take time to look.
Oh, and we do take the time, don't we, my fellow queens of over-analysis! :applause2:

So true and I don't see any of us wanting to recover from this phobia soon. :bounce:

Perhaps the very best books, like the best paintings, can be whatever the reader "sees". Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all of that. A great book grows and changes, like a prism, with the reader. Yes! That's it! It isn't a matter of overanalysis at all! ;-)

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue May 05, 2009 4:13 pm

nebraska wrote:
gemini wrote:
fansmom wrote:Oh, and we do take the time, don't we, my fellow queens of over-analysis! :applause2:

Perhaps the very best books, like the best paintings, can be whatever the reader "sees". Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all of that. A great book grows and changes, like a prism, with the reader. Yes! That's it! It isn't a matter of overanalysis at all! ;-)

I seem to remember a certain author (Arturo Pérez-Reverte) saying that it was the reader's responsibility. :grin:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “Loser's Town”