Loser's Town Question #16 ~ Pressure

by Daniel Depp

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Re: Loser's Town Question #16 ~ Pressure

Unread postby Liz » Sun May 03, 2009 2:13 pm

I am sorry to hear that you are faced with pressure at work right now, suec. I hope that they let up on you a bit.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun May 03, 2009 7:14 pm

suec, sometimes futile gestures of rebellion are still worth the effort. I was taken with your idea of the difference between pressure and stress. As someone who has a great deal of both in my life right now that was helpful! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

suec

Unread postby suec » Mon May 04, 2009 6:51 am

Thanks Liz. It's something beyond their control, really, though they have handled me really badly. I have made sure they know this :grin: I still might leave, though. But it comes to something when I start spelling coming with an 'e' in it. I'm definitely going to blame stress for that one. :blush:
DIDHOT :hug:
Interesting to read about your standardized tests. Last year they abolished them in the UK for 14-year-olds after a national scandal over the speed and quality of the marking. They still have them for 11-year-olds though.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon May 04, 2009 9:49 am

suec wrote:Interesting to read about your standardized tests. Last year they abolished them in the UK for 14-year-olds after a national scandal over the speed and quality of the marking. They still have them for 11-year-olds though.

And I find that interesting. :-O

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue May 05, 2009 4:24 pm

suec wrote:Interesting to read about your standardized tests. Last year they abolished them in the UK for 14-year-olds after a national scandal over the speed and quality of the marking. They still have them for 11-year-olds though.

Suec, I've been thinking about this and wondering what exactly about the "speed and quality of the marking" it was that turned it into a scandal.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Tue May 05, 2009 10:31 pm

Liz wrote:

Suec, I've been thinking about this and wondering what exactly about the "speed and quality of the marking" it was that turned it into a scandal.
One article, Liz--

I remember when my daughter took the SAT four years ago (the US SAT is different from the UK Sat, but both are standardized tests administered and graded by ETS) we were told that the graders take less than a minute to speed-read the essay portion of the writing test. Nothing like having your college choice--and your future--determined by 60 seconds of someone's time.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed May 06, 2009 1:00 pm

Thanks for the info, fansmom. That is really disturbing about our SAT written portion. I’ve never been a big fan of the SATs either--and that dates back to when I took them.

suec

Unread postby suec » Sat May 09, 2009 8:13 am

fansmon that detail about the time spent on marking writing really is a shocker. Interesting article too.

Liz, sorry for not getting back to you earlier. It has been another week (but at last I am winning the battle now).

The problems did vary from school to school, but in some cases, students had broken up for their summer holidays before the results were provided. Students take their exams in May, break up in July, and return to school in early September. So in some cases, they had to wait 4 months for their results. At age 11, that means they also would have left their primary school. Some papers were returned to schools unmarked. Some weren't returned at all. The marking itself was variable. I remember one news report in particular of an angry headteacher showing two students' work for the writing task, which clearly wasn't of the same standard at all, but they had been given the same mark. There were a lot of stories like that. A lot of schools appealed to have the exam papers re-marked, and that also took months to sort out in some cases. So it became evident that for schools it was a lottery, really. Some were happy with the results but some weren't, because markers hadn't got the rank order right, failing to reward what the students had succeeded in doing, or over-marking others. As an indicator of students' progress and schools' performance, the SATs were completely unreliable. And of course, the students who had put so much energy and effort into working for those exams, and getting stressed about it all, were left feeling letdown and disaffected.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat May 09, 2009 1:33 pm

Suec, that is just unbelievable, appalling and downright scary. Abolishing them was the right thing to do.

Return to “Loser's Town”