Loser's Town Question #15 ~ Seeing Behind the Illusion

by Daniel Depp

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Loser's Town Question #15 ~ Seeing Behind the Illusion

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:45 am

A quote from Daniel Depp in the Scotsman Interview:

What, then, is he keen to tell us about American culture?

"I hope what seeps through is that awareness of illusion. I have a great deal of sympathy for actors. They're absolutely vulnerable and fans don't quite realise that. I don't think we want to let them be life-sized. It's the only mythology that we have."

The last thing anyone wants, he contends, is to see their illusions shattered, even though we know they're faked. And yet, I argue, it seems as though we're forever trying to peer behind celebrity façades.

He shakes his head. "You're never going to see what really happens.You do not.

And from Loser's Town, pg 184: “You’re a success. Enjoy it.”

“Nouveau riche. I think everybody’s watching me, waiting for me to make a mistake. Order the wrong wine, eat with the wrong fork. Hell, they are watching me. I can’t eat soup with crackers in public, you know that? I can’t have a ******* bowl of chili anymore, in case I get ******* crumbs all over the place and it winds up in a newspaper someplace.”

“That’s the price. You’re not so naïve you didn’t know what it was.”

“Not like this. And now with cell-phone cameras, I’m afraid to take a **** in public, somebody’ll shove the thing under the wall and take off running. A big picture on the Internet of me on the *******, my pants down around my ankles.”

In a way this is a follow-up to yesterday's question and we have also touched on this topic on other discussions. Do we ever see behind the illusion? Does the general public want to? What price fame?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Betty Sue

Re: Loser's Town Question #15 ~ Seeing Behind the Illusion

Unread postby Betty Sue » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:09 am

Maybe celebrity "reality " shows :fear: are supposed to show us what's behind the illusion. :perplexed: On second thought, no way! I skip all but Dancing with the Stars but have a feeling those shows are as manufactured as can be.
Can only give my personal opinion on this, but I find myself quite interested in the every day life of celebrities I admire. I don't want the dirt; I think it's unfair to blow up every minor slip from perfection of a celebrity. But I'm always curious about their children and relationships and interests and opinions and am always hoping all is going well for them. Doubt if I ever get completely past the illusion but enjoy any peeks I get. :-O
Like Daniel, I have sympathy for these people and the price they have to pay for having a "weird" job, but I'm part of the problem. :blush:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

trygirl

Unread postby trygirl » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:17 pm

I don't know if we really want to know what's behind the illusion. Yes, we're inquisitive about our favorite stars, and like Betty Sue said, I want to know about their children, relationships and opinions. But we don't expect celebrities to be just like regular folks. This could be why the public enjoys scrutinizing every detail of their lives because we're hoping all will be perfect. And when something flawed is detected, the famous get punished for it. They become the focus of late night monologues, tabloids, and TMZ footage. It's quite sad when you think about fame's price. Normal people take for granted the luxury to mess up in private. To escape having their messes televised for the universe. Anonymity is wonderful.
I'm not a brand, I'm more of a variety. - Johnny Depp

shadowydog

Unread postby shadowydog » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:31 pm

I agree. I like seeing how the kids are growing up, but I am not obsessed with the family's private life. I do join in the curiosity about what books he is reading and his new tattoos and I love his interviews; but I don't consider this beyond or behind the illusion. It is, in a way, part of the illusion since Johnny uses it all to create the illusion.
I have nothing to do and all day to do it in.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:52 pm

Betty Sue, I know someone who has a family member that participated in one of the reality shows. Much of it is semi-contrived or taken out of context to make it more sensational.

trygirl, I’m not sure why people are so fascinated with the goings on of celebrity life other than it always appears to be glamorous and fun, maybe it’s living vicariously. Shows like ET and the tabloids certainly feed society’s appetite. I also think there is a part of people who like to see that the famous are just like everyone else and mess up just like we do, even though we get to do it in private…at least most of the time if we are lucky! :blush:

shadowydog, I rather enjoy finding out about the books too! :noodlemantra:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

deppaura

Unread postby deppaura » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:40 pm

Todays subject as well as yesterdays trip my mind. I'm trying to dig deep down to address the issue. Maybe getting too serious. Interesting how Daniel refers to celebrity fascination as the mythology of today. Are the stars our heroes? This deals with psyche which is beyond my realm of comprehension. And, perhaps, education. Theresa talked about hard wiring. I understand that but am not informed enough to offer a sound opinion. I think the best I could do here would be to offer up guesses.

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:25 pm

If we find out what is behind the illusion - then it is not an illusion anymore! I agree with shadowy dog - I too enjoy knowing tidbits about Johnny -his tatts - his travels - his likes -his interviews - his homes and of course the books. All of this creates an illusion about him. Part reality and part illusion - is that enough for most of the public? For the media and tabloids it isn't - for me it is. I don't like the stories that try to destroy - but that can be the price of fame.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:14 pm

Do we see behind the illusion? I don't think so, not very often. People are on their best behavior (as a general rule) when in public. I think the famous are well aware of this and those we see acting out are doing so as part of their illusion. I can see where they may get tired of the spotlight never ending or obnoxious paparazzi, but they made the trade off for either the fame, the idolization, the money, the lifestyle, or even because its a profession they want to be good at.
Some handle it better than others and some, like Johnny, consider the fans their boss and make time for them.
Danny says " "You're never going to see what really happens. .You do not ." That, I am sure, is true with an exception here or there. It is also human to want to have privacy, to let your guard down even if you are selling an image of yourself. It is human nature to have a bad day once in awhile.
As for myself, I don't really want to see beyond the Illusion Johnny wants to create. I am happy that he lets us know some things about his life because he knows we are interested. I do like to know what he thinks about things, what he reads, his interests and that is only because I do like him. It is the same type of thing I want to know about other people I care about. I don't' want to catch him in an embarrassing situation just because he is famous.

Danny says" I don't think we want to let them be life-sized. It's the only mythology that we have". To a point this is true. We want to think our hero's are great even though we acknowledge they are human. I like when they are down to earth and not above it all, but this really is more of wanting them to be just like we picture them.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:39 pm

Deppaura, the number one rule at ONBC is that there are no right answers so guesses fit in quite well with our discussions. It is interesting to hear different takes on a subject…makes me think even if sometimes it does this :headache:

ladylinn, good point about destroying the illusion. I think sometimes that is exactly what the tabloid press is out to do. Why do some people enjoy the failure of others? :-?

gemini, I think the illusion is necessary to be able to survive in their world. I think we get a peek now and then into their interests (like books for example? :grin: ) but they need to keep up the veil in order to preserve what privacy they can.

Wow! What a ride!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:54 pm

deppaura wrote:Todays subject as well as yesterdays trip my mind. I'm trying to dig deep down to address the issue. Maybe getting too serious. Interesting how Daniel refers to celebrity fascination as the mythology of today. Are the stars our heroes? This deals with psyche which is beyond my realm of comprehension. And, perhaps, education. Theresa talked about hard wiring. I understand that but am not informed enough to offer a sound opinion. I think the best I could do here would be to offer up guesses.

Guess away! No one ever said we had to be educated on the subject or always correct. We are just venturing opinions and yours are usually pretty good.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:40 pm

The questioning what lies beyond illusions makes me think of magic tricks. Don't you always feel a little cheated when you learn how a magic trick was done? "Hey, all he did was make me look at his right hand while he palmed something with his left hand." Sometimes I prefer to keep my illusions.

I don't know what the general public wants, but I don't want to know as much about Johnny as I do about, say, my husband. ("He's such a baby when he's sick" takes away some of the romance--but none of the love.)

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:06 am

shadowydog wrote:I agree. I like seeing how the kids are growing up, but I am not obsessed with the family's private life. I do join in the curiosity about what books he is reading

I’m kinda curious about those books too. :grin: I have to say that I am VERY interested in the lives of the stars that I “admire”. I want to know more about them and their families. But I am disappointed when they fall from grace.

Deppaura, it’s been kind of tripping my mind too. I’ve found myself questioning my views, my actions and my motives. But I think I’m taking it too seriously. I was going to say pretty much exactly the same thing DITHOT said, and then I saw her post. So I’ll just add that opinions, guesses, whatever (as long as it is respectful) are welcome here. As DITHOT and I have said many times, there are no wrong answers.

Gemini, I agree with you that we don’t see behind the illusion, as much as I want to think we do. I think we see what they want us to see.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “Loser's Town”