Loser's Town Question #13 ~ Fame

by Daniel Depp

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Loser's Town Question #13 ~ Fame

Unread postby Liz » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:40 am

Pg. 268: “What?” said Whitcomb. “Everything that goes up must come down? Like me, you mean? Look, you ask me if I think it’s worth it, if I’d do it all again, knowing what I know now, :censored: -A it is. Why do you think us old has-beens make fools of ourselves, trying to hang on. Nobody wants to walk away from this. And do what? Go back to reality? Reality sucks. That’s why people go to movies in the first place. Still, I’ve had a pretty good :censored: run. I wonder if we’ll be able to say the same about your friend there.”

Is fame a double-edged sword?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Betty Sue

Re: Loser's Town Question #13 ~ Fame

Unread postby Betty Sue » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:39 am

Fame is clearly a double-edged sword because it means an end to living a normal private life. Not many enjoy living in a goldfish bowl with every move photographed and reported....and a few moves never made reported... :eyebrow: And somehow the press seems much more interested in reporting something negative rather than positive, finds joy in tearing down a success. And threats! :yikes: Cannot say that I would value the rewards that Whitcomb garnered from his fame and misses now: license to act like a jerk, power, sycophants, gifts of booze and drugs and sex. It must be tough not to be changed by all of this. It's really too bad that success in some occupations leads to fame and all the baggage that that involves. :fear: Apparently, there are some Whitcombs out there who like to wallow in that world, but I'll take the world of realism (and go to the movies when I want to escape that world! :grin: )!
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:43 am

Yes, I do think fame can be a double-edged sword. When people become famous they give up part of their privacy. People want to see and know about them. I am guilty - if I see a magazine with Johnny's picture on it _ I stop and read it. :blush: Movies are not like a 9 to 5 job. Someone is always waiting and watching with a camara.

For some when the fame begins to fade and the adoration lessens it must be hard to adjust to a different life. Especially if they are like Whitcomb.

But I would like to say - Johnny and Vanessa have accomplished separating their public and private lives. They try and protect their children and this is a wonderful and commendable accomplishment. :hug:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:02 am

Thanks for starting us off again, Betty Sue. You’ve summarized it well.

ladylinn wrote: Movies are not like a 9 to 5 job. Someone is always waiting and watching with a camara.

Ladylinn, you make a good point here. Good thing the compensation is so high.

ladylinn wrote:For some when the fame begins to fade and the adoration lessens it must be hard to adjust to a different life. Especially if they are like Whitcomb.

I think fame is like a drug. Some are more susceptible to its addiction than others. And I agree that Johnny & Vanessa have a done a great job at keeping their private life separate. :cool:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

deppaura

Unread postby deppaura » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:20 pm

You are also held to a higher standard. Got to do the same or even better the next time and the next time and the time after that. This is also true anywhere fame exists, not just the movie biz. I would think the sense of failure would be also heightened. Exaggerated by comparison. Knock your sense of balance way off. Calls for tremendous centering and confidence. Thick skin at best.

trygirl

Unread postby trygirl » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:24 pm

I think you have all summarized it greatly. Fame is by all means the proverbial double-edged sword. Once you're known by millions, the joy of privacy no longer exists. There is the benefit of the money but you need it to pay the bodyguards, the agents, the mangers, the lawyers, or just to purchase the homes with the gates that are their to keep us regular folks out. I think only a smart few avoid the pitfalls of being well-known and can live normally. The rest could end up on a path to destruction. It's not worth the hassle.
I'm not a brand, I'm more of a variety. - Johnny Depp

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:32 pm

Yes. I agree ladies, fame is a double edge sword for all the reasons you mentioned. Not only does it lead to the dealing with living in a goldfish bowl but when you make it to the top, people expect all your efforts to be A+ and you have to live up to your own success. You must be able to take criticisms as well as applause and some have trouble with that. Some say you are only as good as your last picture. Then there is the aging thing which takes more of a toll on those relying on looks. Some handle it with becoming a character actor but others can't compete with their own younger image and don't know when to quit.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:56 pm

Good answers all around. :highfive:

The only thing that I might add is the tabloid press thinking that they own a famous person and using their face or name to sell newspapers/magazines with questionable stories. Not only do you give up privacy, but you become a target for stories that are slanted, overblown, or downright lies.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:31 pm

All good answers, and all different. You make me thankful that I am not one of the famous. Too much pressure! And I know for myself, I wouldn't be able to handle a fall from grace. I think one has to have a strong sense of self to be able to handle it.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:41 pm

When I read this quote it made me think of the two premieres I have attended and the celebrities that walked the red carpet. You could tell some were there just for fun and for the experience and some were there to be acknowledged by the crowd. It was actually kind of embarrassing when an actor who was once well known would walk the carpet and very few acknowledged their presence. I actually had one walk up to me and ask if I wanted an autograph when I didn't ask for one. That must be a bit of reality that "sucks" if you are used to the attention.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

suec

Unread postby suec » Sun May 03, 2009 8:32 am

Fame is my idea of hell, I think. Way high a price to pay. I would loathe the lack of privacy, the intrusion into personal space and what I would see as the feeling of being "owned" or turned into a product. As it is now, when someone tries to take a photo of me at work, my reaction is unpleasant, to say the least. There is just no way in a million years that I would be able to present a polite, co-operative front to the media. And I am not one to appreciate the benfits of it either. So I wouldn't view it as a double-edge sword: just one I would want to fall on should I find myself in that situation. :yikes:
I can see how many regard this very differently though.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Return to “Loser's Town”