Loser's Town Question #12 ~ The Magic

by Daniel Depp

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Loser's Town Question #12 ~ The Magic

Unread postby Liz » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:56 pm

Pg. 113: “You know, what’s so g***amn frightening is that I believe you. What the :censored: happens to people in this town? Perfectly normal, rational people from all over the world, they come here and go crazy.”

It’s the magic, baby. The magic of making movies. Like Orson Welles said, it’s the world’s biggest train set.”

Do you think that there is a certain magic that surrounds filmmaking that attracts thousands to the wonder of it?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Re: Loser's Town Question #12 ~ The Magic

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:51 pm

Well, I don't know about "thousands". But for myself, when I watch the advertisements on television I think I missed my calling. Sitting around dreaming up those wild ideas and figuring out how to bring them to reality, including all the computer manipulation and generating of effects, I think that would be the best job in the world! Born too soon, I think. :sad: So I can understand the drive to be part of the creative world of film making, taking a script and making it into a sensory experience for the audience, and for those who want to be in the front of cameras, there is always that chance for fame and admiration .......... which of course can be a double edged sword, but so is most of life.

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:56 pm

Since films reach around the world and can change a person's life overnight, I believe thousands are attracted to be part of them. Johnny Depp may not have had films in mind when he headed to LA, but he felt that's where the action was for show biz. And this lad with no acting experience became a megastar! :yahoo: Magic! :cloud9:
But he was one of the lucky ones; it surely isn't magic for most. And even many of those who find great success would have been better off without the magic touch! :sad: As Spandau went on to say, filmmaking "is a business, like manufacturing toilet seats..." (Well, a bit different... :perplexed: )
Orson Welles must have been at the top of his game when he said making movies is "the world's biggest train set." (Cute quote! ) Apparently he had complete control of his toy world and was enjoying it immensely.
So I think filmmaking does attract thousands with its magic but has a big problem with sustaining that magic.
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

deppaura

Unread postby deppaura » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:35 pm

I think of that "magic" as touching the child in someone. The chance to "play" pretend. Play with fantasy in all kinds of ways. Dressing the part, being part of the story. Giant playtime!! It looks that way to the outsider. But, we have learned, the reality of filmmaking is a bit more mundane than that. But, the magic still exists in being part of that finished project. I can imagine taking part in a film, step by step, and seeing it come to fruition on that big screen. I think that would seem like MAGIC. Imagine the impact of working on POTC and then seeing that completed film.

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:23 pm

Yes i think there has to be a bit of magic that goes along with film making. Directors have such vision to be able to film scenes and then put them all together as the finished product. Also actors having to film scenes that are not in sequence with the story must be able to step in-to that character's reaction to the moment. But I think the "real magic" comes when we get to see the finished product.

trygirl

Unread postby trygirl » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:50 pm

The number is probably closer to hundreds of thousands but there's definitely magic in the movies. The industry draws people in like moths to a flame. And it's the only job that allows employees to play make believe and get compensated millions for it. I think movies are the only real magic left in the world. Johnny might not know how to put out a fire, or perform surgery but not everyone can take a character like Captain Jack Sparrow from the pages of a script and then bring him to wondrous life either. It must be amazing for everyone.
I'm not a brand, I'm more of a variety. - Johnny Depp

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:47 pm

Great answers everyone! :applause2:

Good point, deppaura, that the actual making of film is not as glamorous as one might think. For the actors, I think it can be, at times, a bit mundane. On the other hand, even with all of the takes and talking to the camera instead of a real person, it is still a chance to play at make-believe. I think it might be more fun, at times, for the film maker as opposed to the film actor. The film maker has a daunting task. But the idea of turning an idea or script into a film must be as exciting and rewarding as it comes, not to mention the outlet for creativity that it must fill.

The film world is not real. And maybe that’s why it holds such magic for so many. But it also can hold fame and great financial reward. Those are strong attractions.

I wonder if the attraction begins while we are children. I remember being wowed by movies as a child and by TV. Beautiful scenery, beautiful clothes, beautiful people, fairy tale stories. What’s not to like? Actresses were my idols as a child. To me it was all magic—just like Disney. To this day I find it magical even though I know it has its sleazy side.

Something that I think is unique to this day and age is the wide availability of video equipment and video editing software. When I went to school I don’t remember anyone being interested in film-making and screen writing. Today’s high schools have film-making classes. And each year, the high school here graduates a group of kids who head to colleges and schools that specialize in film-making. The industry appears to be more accessible than it used to be. And I wonder if that perception reduces the magic or intensifies it.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:38 pm

I also think it is the lure of possibility. The magic of becoming famous, making lots of money and doing something so incredibly creative that people are wowed by what you have accomplished. Of course very few actually achieve those goals but what we see as the payoff for those who do seems pretty attractive and we don't hear that much about those who aren't successful. When an underdog makes good, like an good indie movie, we see how what appears to be a regular Joe or Jane makes it big and think why not me?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:50 pm

Yes I certainly buy into the magic. There is nothing like escaping into another world even if for only a couple of hours. I do think some of the huge successes are too expensive to do now. As we read that finances make films like POTC and Lawrence of Arabia things of the past. There will have to be more creativity and now special effects to make up for the super epic scenes but now filmmaking is a career with many different jobs and aspects on top of actors and film producers.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

bluebird

Unread postby bluebird » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:55 pm

Of course, it's magic!! To take words on a page and give them life is magic!! When I'm watching a movie I allow myself to be caught up in the world that's unfolding on the screen... I accept it -- if it's done well -- and become part of the magic...

I've always loved movies...
Liz said "To me it was all magic—just like Disney. To this day I find it magical even though I know it has its sleazy side."

I, too, know about all the wheeling and dealing and financial wrangling that goes on... I know that a lot of the time making a movie is downright boring and tiring and detail oriented to the point of exhaustion... but when I see the finished product, I allow myself to be enthralled, entertained and -- if I'm lucky -- entranced by what I see...
The edge … there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. HST

Return to “Loser's Town”