Loser's Town Question #11 ~ Leverage

by Daniel Depp

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Loser's Town Question #11 ~ Leverage

Unread postby Liz » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:15 am

Pg. 111: “There’s also two hundred lawyers, a major film studio, and an entire :censored: media empire just waiting to help me. Think about that. These people shift entire governments around like office furniture. Imagine what they’ll do to you.”

Do you think that the film industry has this much leverage?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

trygirl

Re: Loser's Town Question #11 ~ Leverage

Unread postby trygirl » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:31 pm

The film industry definitely has some leverage. I can't help thinking of conglomerates such as Viacom and many others. Media empires have several irons in the fire. We all know money is a powerful weapon. But Daniel makes it appear more ominous than reality.
I'm not a brand, I'm more of a variety. - Johnny Depp

deppaura

Unread postby deppaura » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:07 pm

The other aspect of this power is the control of the public. Conglomerates, individuals who control or own major forms of communication can influence information to the public. Confuse the real facts. Distort the truth. In the context of the passage, I got caught up in the humor. Jurado was puffing up his feathers. Pulling out all stops. Exaggerating, Mafia style, threatening Spandau. I'm sure there is a game plan. Sadly that old evil. money, appears to run things. As an aside, I guess that's why everyone gets excited when a supposed low budget film from nowhere comes out of the dark and makes it big. Seemingly untainted, it offers hope!! At least for a little while. Must make the big boys squirm!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:44 pm

trygirl wrote:But Daniel makes it appear more ominous than reality.

Thanks for starting us off, trygirl. This is what I wonder about....if it is an exaggeration. When I think of major companies shifting governments, I think of the oil industry, not the film industry.

deppaura wrote:As an aside, I guess that's why everyone gets excited when a supposed low budget film from nowhere comes out of the dark and makes it big. Seemingly untainted, it offers hope!! At least for a little while. Must make the big boys squirm!

I get excited over low budget films making it big. It definitely gives hope to the little guy.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:12 pm

I think if you include all media outlets and not just movies they do have a powerful effect on our society and culture, and it doesn't have to be all bad. Sometimes they can shed light where lights needs to be shed. However they can be manipulated as well. Look at the way politicians use the media to run campaigns or sell their image according to what they believe the voters want. I suppose in that way it can influence government. I agree that I love to see the small indie film make it big unexpectedly. We all root for the little guy!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:01 pm

I'm with Liz on this one...when it comes to government-shifting power, I think the oil, energy and banking businesses have much more influence. The film industry greatly exaggerates the level of their importance.

But then again, DITHOT is also right, especially if you start talking about the news outlets. In a way, it can be government-shifting -- especially when the mud starts slinging during election time.

Jurado was definitely exaggerating in his statement. What good is a threat if it isn't an ominous threat? :grin:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:38 am

I think the quote was an exaggeration, but I do think there is some validity to the idea that the entertainment industry influences a lot of things -- ranging from how we dress to our ideas of morality -- violence, for instance, has changed dramatically in films. Watch an old black and white movie from the 40s or 50s and then watch one of our modern action films. As our ideas change, so does our society, so does who we vote into government office, and so perhaps deppaura is correct.......but I think the influence is more insidious and takes place over a longer period of time. I completely agree that the "news" industry controls a great deal of public opinion and I trust very little that I see there; but pure entertainment has an influence as well.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:28 pm

When I read this, the old line about the pen being mightier than the sword came to mind. I do think the film industry is powerful but not necessary in the way the question meant. The remark infers that they can throw their weight around and run things. I do think this is probably true but their real power comes from influencing the public. While they can make or break an actor by controlling the films they are in, they are image-makers as well as thought provokers for the public. A lot of people don't read anymore and they only get new information from TV and films and so many are targeting the younger generation. This makes them a powerful source of education.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:36 pm

Very good point, Gemini. Even Daniel made mention of this in the book signing. I wish I had gotten down his exact quote. He just alluded to the danger of the media. My problem is that there was a lot of background noise from the coffee bar in the book store; causing me, at times, to wonder if I really heard him correctly. So, in the case of those words I wasn’t 100% positive of, I didn’t quote him at all.

Peachy

Unread postby Peachy » Sun May 03, 2009 10:41 am

All the way through the book I couldn't help feeling that I sincerely hoped Daniel was exaggerating this aspect of the film industry, yet deep down I also couldn't help feeling that there is a lot of truth.
One of the aspects that springs to mind, although not directly mentioned in the book, is the political involvement of a lot of actors or indeed filmmakers. There are many major stars who do not go out of their way to hide their political allegiances, and who use their status and popularity to support political parties or movements.

I think the main driver though, is the media - and this is a recurrent theme in the book, the obsession with being in the news or the headlines - and mostly when it crops up throughout the book the connotations are negative. The power of a front page photo or headline, that can make or break a person is frankly scary.
"If I'm going do to this for a living I want to at least provoke a thought or make someone look at something, however subtle, from another perspective." (JD on acting).

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun May 03, 2009 2:36 pm

Peachy wrote:One of the aspects that springs to mind, although not directly mentioned in the book, is the political involvement of a lot of actors or indeed filmmakers. There are many major stars who do not go out of their way to hide their political allegiances, and who use their status and popularity to support political parties or movements.

This is an interesting point, Peachy. This is certainly prevalent. But it doesn't always work in their favor. I think that they get people thinking and talking about the issues (which is good). But sometimes it can reflect negatively on them....even if we agree with their politics. Some people feel that using your Oscar acceptance speech to further your political agenda is in appropriate even if it relates to the movie in question, and that can reflect negatively on the actor and maybe the cause. I don't feel that way myself (if it relates to the movie). But I do know people who think it inappropriate regardless.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun May 03, 2009 7:16 pm

I think if you have to give up your right to the expression of your personal ideas because of your fame then it wouldn't be worth it. I like to think that people think for themselves and aren't going to be swayed by someone else just because they are famous...I guess the world of advertising has proven me wrong. :lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Loser's Town”