Loser's Town Question #10 ~ Soul

by Daniel Depp

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Re: Loser's Town Question #10 ~ Soul

Unread postby Liz » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:17 am

fansmom wrote:
bluebird wrote:Against my better judgement, a couple of my friends last summer MADE me go see a movie with a "box office leading man" in it... It was 2 hours of my life that I will NEVER get back... I tried to explain to them what was lacking in him... the best way I could explain it was that there was nothing in his eyes. No thinking, no intelligence, no feelings... He was acting. He could not, or did not, connect with the character he was playing..... he was soulless... [/b]
Bluebird, I had just that experience today. I saw a poster for a movie that sounded interesting until I noticed that the leading man was someone I think has vacant eyes. I can't stand to watch him. Very handsome, but like Gertrude Stein said, there is no there there.

Love it, Fansmom! Thanks for bringing that quote back. Bluebird and Fansmom, I think we have been spoiled by an actor who is the epitome of soul. Most acting pales in comparison to his.

Fansmom, as an aside, I have chosen A Moveable Feast for my local book club's May meeting, where I am the hostess. I can't wait to see what they all have to say about it.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

bluebird

Unread postby bluebird » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:21 am

Liz wrote:
fansmom wrote:
bluebird wrote:Against my better judgement, a couple of my friends last summer MADE me go see a movie with a "box office leading man" in it... It was 2 hours of my life that I will NEVER get back... I tried to explain to them what was lacking in him... the best way I could explain it was that there was nothing in his eyes. No thinking, no intelligence, no feelings... He was acting. He could not, or did not, connect with the character he was playing..... he was soulless... [/b]
Bluebird, I had just that experience today. I saw a poster for a movie that sounded interesting until I noticed that the leading man was someone I think has vacant eyes. I can't stand to watch him. Very handsome, but like Gertrude Stein said, there is no there there.

Love it, Fansmom! Thanks for bringing that quote back. Bluebird and Fansmom, I think we have been spoiled by an actor who is the epitome of soul. Most acting pales in comparison to his.

That IS the perfect quote, Fansmom!!! I'll remember that!!
Those same friends were at my home this past weekend for a "get-away"... They all like JD but are not quite as 'intense' about it as I am :blush: Only one of them had seen Don Juan De Marco... so we watched that ... there's a lot about the eyes in that one... :) Before we started it they asked which was my favorite JD movie... well, there's no answer to that question, so I whipped through several of them, showing them quick clips of my favorite parts of different movies...
Finding Neverland, where JM Barrie is watching the kids jumping on the bed and is 'seeing' what he's going to be writing....; the prologue of The Libertine.... sigh; Benny and Joon when Sam's in the tree, and a couple more scenes from it... and others ... I ended with those 13 or 14 seconds in Blow when George is walking (strutting?) through the airport in that white suit.... Oh. My. we watched that one a couple of times... :chill: sorry. getting carried away. must go to work...
And, yes, Liz... we are spoiled...
bluebird
The edge … there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. HST

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:42 am

bluebird, did any of your friends "get it"?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:23 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:bluebird, did any of your friends "get it"?

I am curious also to know if they got it. As I just returned from a family get-togather where the females were all in a Johnny conversation and most of them didn't get it. One said Johnny was himself in Capt. Jack and another said isn't he gay? I was :banghead: I asked if they had seen any of his films besides pirates. They saw a few but those that liked him simple said they loved him because he is cute but nothing about his acting. I was astounded the group was mostly in the their 20s and 30s and the the rest 40s and up. They thought I was overly impressed with him.
:perplexed:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

bluebird

Unread postby bluebird » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:33 pm

gemini wrote:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:bluebird, did any of your friends "get it"?

I am curious also to know if they got it. As I just returned from a family get-togather where the females were all in a Johnny conversation and most of them didn't get it. One said Johnny was himself in Capt. Jack and another said isn't he gay? I was :banghead: I asked if they had seen any of his films besides pirates. They saw a few but those that liked him simple said they loved him because he is cute but nothing about his acting. I was astounded the group was mostly in the their 20s and 30s and the the rest 40s and up. They thought I was overly impressed with him.
:perplexed:

DITHOT and gemini --
Well, one of them definitely "gets it" and has for a long time... She set up a MySpace for me that is wonderful... it's all JD!! Beautiful... Another friend is coming along nicely. ;-) This past weekend she asked... "so what Johnny movie are we watching tonight?" Now this is after midnight, so you can tell she's really interested... Last month we watched Sweeney Todd... this past weekend, as I said, it was Don Juan de Marco. After seeing the short clip of "Blow," she asked to watch that the next time we get together... the other friend in this group likes him but doesn't "get it" ~~ yet... :lol: :lol:

I think the next time we get together I'm going to make puerco pibil and we'll watch OUTIM... Sands should grab her attention!!!
The edge … there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. HST

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:30 pm

You are bringing them along nicely, bluebird! ;-)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

bluebird

Unread postby bluebird » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:42 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:You are bringing them along nicely, bluebird! ;-)

What I don't understand is why they aren't gobsmacked like I was/am!!!!! :lol: :lol: But if leading them slowly onto the JD path is what it takes....

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri May 01, 2009 7:44 am

bluebird wrote:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:You are bringing them along nicely, bluebird! ;-)

What I don't understand is why they aren't gobsmacked like I was/am!!!!! :lol: :lol: But if leading them slowly onto the JD path is what it takes....

Just doing your duty, bluebird! ;-)

Wow! What a ride!

Peachy

Unread postby Peachy » Sat May 02, 2009 10:18 am

What you really needed was Soul—or, even better, the ability to convince a camera you had it, whether you did or not

I'm late joining the discussion, I hope to catch up but I only got my copy of Losers Town two days ago so am racing along.

I'd just got to this quote in the book and I immediately saw Johnny's eyes! I am hard pressed to think of any other actor past or present who uses his eyes like Johnny. I was first entranced by Abberline. Directors have remarked on Johnny's eyes and captured it on screen (Mike Newell being one). I think that Johnny is one of the few who HAS Soul AND has the ability to convey it to the camera. there are others who don't have it and do a fairly convincing job, there are those who do have Soul but perhaps don't convey it so well. but to me Johnny is practically alone in having both - perhaps I am biased :-O (only a little...)

Anyhow, great quote and it did make me wonder if Daniel was thinking about his brother :lol:
"If I'm going do to this for a living I want to at least provoke a thought or make someone look at something, however subtle, from another perspective." (JD on acting).

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat May 02, 2009 11:15 am

Peachy wrote:
Anyhow, great quote and it did make me wonder if Daniel was thinking about his brother :lol:

;-) Me too, Peachy. And welcome to the discussion. Better late than never. :cool: Just jump in and answer any of the previous questions as you can get to them.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “Loser's Town”