Pookie Forsythe of Coren Investigations
Meg Patterson from the LA Times
Allison Graff
Ingrid, Potts’s GF
Irina, Bobby’s GF
Janine, Jurado’s publicist

Are they realistic?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Betty Sue

Re: Loser's Town Question #8 ~ The Women of Loser's Town

Unread postby Betty Sue » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:17 pm

Hey, Teach, that's a pretty big assignment for the likes of me! Took me forever to place Darlene; then I wondered how I could have forgotten her. :yikes: Her activities are a little out of the area of my expertise :baby: , but I've heard her profession is the world's oldest, so I guess there's realism there....extreme edge of realism in her case!
Dee was sadly realistic. I think she was a wonderful person who really wanted to be reunited with Spandau (still feels married to him) but didn't want to push him when he wasn't ready and didn't want to put her life on hold to wait for him. She understood his problems. It wouldn't surprise me to learn, however, that she's not totally committed to marrying Charlie... And I find it quite realistic that her mom would keep trying to get these two together and giving advice; that's what Moms do. (Not sure I like her advice that not talking is the secret to marital success. :-?)
Annie....I found it a little hard to believe that someone in her position could be so rude and crude. However, that tough aspect of her made it kind of powerful when she praised Spandau for protecting Bobby, even though she was roughed up in the mob scene.
Pookie sure was fun, and I hope there are some Pookies around. :yahoo:
And I hope there are plenty of Megs around: savvy, skilled, bright, funny. And I think there are.
Allison was such a sweet believable Mom and girlfriend and such a good employee, but I was pretty surprised when she went off with Richie. Lots of pressures, I guess, but it didn't seem in character.
It was a bit surprising, too, when the lovely music teacher Ingrid got so fascinated with Potts, but I really liked them together. She was so good for him and seemed to appreciate the differences between them. They never would have gotten together if she weren't so outgoing, but I was still kinda taken aback at how quickly she got to the sex! :eyebrow: (I'm probably from the wrong generation to find that realistic.... :innocent:)
And I just hope Irina is not real, but tabloids tell me she is. :mad:
Then there's Janine. (Is anyone still reading this? :hypnotic: ) If we're to believe Daniel's book at all, I think we have to believe there are schemers like Janine out there.
So I think the women were pretty realistic...and definitely entertaining or intriguing or engaging or all three. :cool:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:32 pm

Well, Betty Sue, you certainly stepped up to the challenge. I didn’t even realize what a daunting assignment I was giving until you pointed it out to me. I guess you can categorize me with that group of teachers that some of us parents get angry with…..those teachers who dole out assignments as if their class is the only class the kids have.

Dear Students: Credit will be given for discussing any or all of the female characters in the book. :grin:

In other words, please don't feel like you have to discuss them all. Any and all comments and reflections are welcome.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:44 pm

Betty Sue wrote:Took me forever to place Darlene; then I wondered how I could have forgotten her. :yikes: Her activities are a little out of the area of my expertise :baby: , but I've heard her profession is the world's oldest, so I guess there's realism there....extreme edge of realism in her case!

I'm sorry, but that woman was just too weird for me. I can't relate at all--so it is very hard for me to think of her as realistic. And, as far as I'm concerned, she could have been left out. I was a bit shocked by her behavior. And being that her appearance was early on in the book, I wasn't sure I wanted to read further. Luckily, there were many female characters who appeared after her that more than made up for Darlene.

If I were to make one general statement about the female characters in general, it would be that they are all colorful and varied.

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Liz wrote:
Dear Students: Credit will be given for discussing any or all of the female characters in the book. :grin:

In other words, please don't feel like you have to discuss them all. Any and all comments and reflections are welcome.[/liz]

Now you tell me! :banghead: Actually, it reminds me of School Days. I'd always like to get right to my assignments, then someone would protest the assignment and it would be modified and :grr: But, in this case (and with my fading memory), it was good for me to refresh myself on the characters. And I'll enjoy reading everyone's more in depth analyses. :cool:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:07 pm

More comments on your post, Betty Sue…..

I agree with you about Dee. I think her character was very well drawn and very down-to-earth and realistic. I think she was a very good person. But I think that would be my criticism—too good. I think she was too idealistic and expected too much of Spandau.

I think that was terrible advice that her mom gave also. But I think that probably worked in her marriage, and that’s how she made it work. It doesn’t work for me, though.

Pookie….my kinda girl.

Allison—I felt sorry for her that she had to put up with Richie. And I thought she was strong to stand up to him as long as she did. I can understand some of her ways of dealing with her work situation. But I cannot relate to how she allowed herself to get there in the first place.

Ingrid was another one I could not relate to. I guess she is the poster child for “opposites attract”. She seemed like a very sweet, giving person. She seemed very confident in herself—too confident in her ability to handle Potts. I never would have taken the risks that she did. I also don’t think that her living arrangements with her mother and what that entails would allow her the freedom that it did—to work and to have any kind of relationship with a man.

Irina, Annie and Janine I found to be totally realistic (but that is coming from a point of ignorance of the business—just my opinion). And I didn’t care for any of them.

Oops. Almost forgot Meg. I think that is because she just didn't stand out for me. I need to re-read that section to see why that is. What memory I have of her, though, is that she had a good sense of humor.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:11 pm

Betty Sue wrote:
Liz wrote:

In other words, please don't feel like you have to discuss them all. Any and all comments and reflections are welcome.[/liz]

Now you tell me! :banghead: Actually, it reminds me of School Days. I'd always like to get right to my assignments, then someone would protest the assignment and it would be modified and :grr: But, in this case (and with my fading memory), it was good for me to refresh myself on the characters. And I'll enjoy reading everyone's more in depth analyses. :cool:

Uh oh. Sorry about that. But yours was such a good answer that I'm glad you did the "un-modified" assignment. Too bad I'm not giving out grades, eh? :grin:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:18 pm

Have to agree, Dee had a good heart and I liked her. I thought for someone who was fond of her ex, she was probably realistic. Not many divorce situations end with that kind of friendship, though, from what I have seen. Dee and Spandau got along better than most married couples I know!

I thought way too many of these women, Dee with her unwavering chaste devotion included, were more like a male fantasy than real women. It seemed the majority of them were just waiting for the right man to come along and fix their lives right up with a trip to the bedroom (or the boat) for some kinky stuff. That might have more to do with my age and personal experience (or lack of it) -- as a literary tactic it was a quick way to establish "relationships" or draw characterizations in a face-paced story with lots of characters to introduce and circumstances to establish -- but it certainly doesn't reflect the behavior my circle of friends! (Apologies to Daniel :bouquet: )

shadowydog

Unread postby shadowydog » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:34 pm

nebraska wrote:Have to agree, Dee had a good heart and I liked her. I thought for someone who was fond of her ex, she was probably realistic. Not many divorce situations end with that kind of friendship, though, from what I have seen. Dee and Spandau got along better than most married couples I know!

I thought way too many of these women, Dee with her unwavering chaste devotion included, were more like a male fantasy than real women. It seemed the majority of them were just waiting for the right man to come along and fix their lives right up with a trip to the bedroom (or the boat) for some kinky stuff. That might have more to do with my age and personal experience (or lack of it) -- as a literary tactic it was a quick way to establish "relationships" or draw characterizations in a face-paced story with lots of characters to introduce and circumstances to establish -- but it certainly doesn't reflect the behavior my circle of friends! (Apologies to Daniel :bouquet: )

I agree that some of these characters were more in the realm of a male fantasy. I would put Terry and the "sex" scene on the boat in the same catagory even though he is male, he kind of defined Allison.
I have nothing to do and all day to do it in.

Jennak

Unread postby Jennak » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:29 pm

I would agree with most of the comments so far. I like Dee, but I can understand her unwillingness to stay in a relationship with an emotionally unavailable man. I have been in that situation too, and even though I still love him, I could never live with him again.

Allison was headed down a bad road the minute she went to work for Ritchie. I'm sure she had a pretty good idea of what would be involved. Maybe she was just in denial, and figured that she'd take the job and hoped that her job performance would override any other expected performance.

Ingrid is the most unrealistic to me. It felt like she was a plot device to move the story to its conclusion, and tie up loose ends. Although she was a slave to her Mom, she still seemed to have too much going on to hook up with Potts.

I like Pookie too!

Overall, I'd have to agree that the male characters are more finely drawn and realistic than the female characters. But I still really liked the book. :applause2:

deppaura

Unread postby deppaura » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:52 pm

I find it interesting when one member of the sex writes about the opposite. What it reveals about the author's understanding, knowledge and fantasy. I do think Daniel likes women and he gave us almost every female possible? From crazy, sex-addict Darlene to good old fashioned , practical Mary McCaulay. They even covered an age spectrum starting the the first "girl" in the story. They all had clearly defined individual attraction features and powers, maybe with the exception of Janine who came in late in the story, briefly. We had the token "witches", aptly represented by Anne, Irina and Janine. The love interest trio representation followed a familiar vein...strong attraction, eventual relationship surrender and commitment. Dee, Allison and Ingrid were "oh, my man I love him so" ladies at heart! Pookie was all around dramatic fun!! Oh, if I could only have had the fun she had enjoying her life in Hollywood!! I just loved all the characters she effected. Wonder if any of them represents a lady near and dear to Daniel, himself?

deppaura

Unread postby deppaura » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:58 pm

I just had a late thought...given obvious unbelievable questionable personality odds, i.e., Allsion/Terry/Stella and Ingrid/Potts, did those women appear to surrender to the men???? Was that a hidden message or fantasy?

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:09 pm

I agree that most of the women slanted toward male fantasy. And despite the fact that I think most of them were unrealistic in my view, they worked in this particular story. Drawing the characters the way he did made their relationships interesting. It had not occurred to me that Ingrid was being used as a plot device. Good point, Jennak!

Deppaura, I think they definitely represent surrender. But Dee does not. Nor do the “witches”. I think you bring out a good point that he represents a wide spectrum of women. And I also have to say that I can count on one hand the number of books written by men who I think got women right—Arthur Golden being the only one I can remember (for Memoirs of a Geisha).

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:41 pm

WOW!! What could I add to what has already been said. You said it all Betty Sue. I guess Dee and her mom -Mary McCauley were the two women that seemed most realistic for me. Pookie was funny and walked to her own drummer. Allison was looking for someone to save her - from the world or herself? Ingrid and Potts - a strange relationship with two strange people. Irina a user for her advancement but was her own worst enemy. As Betty Sue said so well - the women were all intriguing and entertaining.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:56 am

Well Betty Sue, I, for one, am glad you took this assignment literally and described all the women. I was floundering on remembering who a few of them were and your post really helped me out.

Pookie- like most of you, I like her. Funny and entertaining and she seemed real to me.

Allison- I didn't like her much and I think Danny meant for her to be liked as he did Terry. She was surrounded by a bunch of losers. Her first husband was a jerk and beat her, Richie was a psychopath and she even jumped into a relationship with Terry too soon. She lived too risky for a mom with a kid. I think Danny wanted her to be a good person in a bad predicament but she would have to be blind to end up in that many bad relationships. Not realistic.

Dee- I like and felt sorry for her because she came from a family that loved her and living with Spandau could not have been easy with his lack of emotion. I hoped for reconciliation for Dee but Danny is too much of a realest for a happy ending.

Mary McCauley- somehow I didn't like Dee's mom siding with Spandau behind her back even if it was to get them back together. Most mothers wouldn't side with the ex and I didn't go much for her advice either.

Meg- I like her and somehow I see Danny pairing her up with Spandau in the future while Dee is off with Charlie. I liked Dee and hoped for a reconciliation but Danny I think will have Spandau move on and Meg seems like a savvy streetwise smart reporter that is tired of being single and will make a pretty good match for Spandau.

Annie was too tuff for me and so was Janine. I even see one or both of them making a move on Spandau and him going along with it. Danny writes from a mans point of view.

Darlene was too weird for me, must have been added for the male point of view.

I think Irina was added to show Bobby's sense of jealousy when she flaunted herself to make him look the fool. She reminded me of Paris Hilton.

Eve- Terry's girlfriend who was bouncing shoes off his head for sleeping with her best friend. Sounds real enough until she went out with him again to help him get into a bar. Men like to think women will put up with anything to keep them. Another mans perspective to me. Sorry Danny.
Last edited by gemini on Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Return to “Loser's Town”