Loser's Town Question #7 ~ Terry McGuinn

by Daniel Depp

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Loser's Town Question #7 ~ Terry McGuinn

Unread postby Liz » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:04 pm

Daniel mentioned at the San Jose book signing that he was advised not to do an Irish character. He said there and on the RTÉ Radio interview that it was a “very dangerous thing to do” because “I didn’t want to create a caricature”. At the book signing he said that “the character of Terry knows that everyone likes that Barry Fitzgerald type” and that he uses that knowledge to his advantage. “He gets a lot of mileage out of it.” From the RTÉ Radio interview Daniel said that Terry is in America, and he plays on the whole idea of the American idea of an Irishman. I’ve done a small tidbit on Barry Fitzgerald for those of you (like myself) who are unfamiliar with the actor.

Do you think Daniel pulled off the Irish/Fitzgerald character?

Did you like the Terry character?

Barry Fitzgerald (10 March 1888 - 14 January 1961), one of Hollyood's finest character actors and most accomplished scene stealers, was born William Joseph Shields in Walworth Road, Portobello, Dublin, Ireland on March 10, 1888. He is the older brother of Irish actor Arthur Shields. He went to Skerry's College, Dublin, before going on to work in the civil service, while also working at the Abbey Theatre. By 1929, he turned to acting full-time. He was briefly a roommate of famed playwright Sean O'Casey and starred in such plays as O'Casey's Juno and the Paycock'.

Fitzgerald went to Hollywood to star in another O'Casey work, The Plough and the Stars (1936), directed by John Ford. He had a successful Hollywood career in such films as The Long Voyage Home (1940), How Green Was My Valley (1941), And Then There Were None (1945), and The Quiet Man (1952).

Fitzgerald achieved a feat unmatched in the history of the Academy Awards.....he was the only actor ever nominated for the Academy Award for both Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor in the same year for the same role, where he played a priest in Going My Way (1944). After he received this double nomination, the Academy immediately changed their rules to prevent this from happening again, rules which have remained unchanged to this day. He won the Best Supporting Actor Award. An avid golfer, he later broke the head off his Oscar statue while practicing his golf swing. (During World War II, Oscar statues were made of plaster instead of gold, owing to wartime metal shortages.)

Backstage at the Academy Awards, 1945 with
Ingrid Bergman and Bing Crosby

Despite his penchant for portraying priests, Fitzgerald was a Protestant (and a nationalist), whose brother Arthur Shields was a republican during the upheaval of the early 20th century in Ireland.

Fitzgerald has two stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, one for movies and one for television.

My personal favorite of these three is the first You Tube video:

[youtube]jaw8neBieeA[/youtube]

[youtube]0XO4W1MOVv4[/youtube]

[youtube]x5BjMTVnNuE[/youtube]

Filmography:

1. Broth of a Boy (1959) .... Patrick Farrell
... aka The Big Birthday (Ireland: English title)
2. Rooney (1958) .... Grandfather
3. The Catered Affair (1956) .... Uncle Jack Conlon
... aka Wedding Breakfast (UK)
4. "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" .... Harold 'Stretch' Sears (1 episode, 1955)
- Santa Claus and the Tenth Avenue Kid (1955) TV episode .... Harold 'Stretch' Sears
5. "General Electric Theater" (1 episode, 1954)
... aka "G.E. Theater" (USA: informal short title)
... aka "G.E. True Theater" (USA: new title)
- The White Steed (1954) TV episode
6. Happy Ever After (1954) .... Thady O'Heggarty
... aka Tonight's the Night (USA)
7. "Lux Video Theatre" (1 episode, 1952)
... aka "Summer Video Theatre" (USA: summer title)
- The Man Who Struck It Rich (1952) TV episode
8. The Quiet Man (1952) .... Michaleen Oge Flynn
9. Ha da venì... don Calogero! (1952) .... Don Calogero
... aka Il filo d'erba (Italy: alternative title)
... aka L'inganno della sposa (Italy)
10. Silver City (1951) .... R.R. Jarboe
... aka High Vermilion (UK)
11. "The Ford Theatre Hour" (1 episode, 1950)
- The White-Headed Boy (1950) TV episode
12. Union Station (1950) .... Inspector Donnelly
13. The Story of Seabiscuit (1949) .... Shawn O'Hara, Seabiscuit's Trainer
... aka Pride of Kentucky (UK)
14. Top o' the Morning (1949) .... Sergeant Briany McNaughton
15. Miss Tatlock's Millions (1948) .... Denno Noonan
16. The Sainted Sisters (1948) .... Robbie McCleary
17. The Naked City (1948) .... Det. Lt. Dan Muldoon
18. Welcome Stranger (1947) .... Dr. Joseph McRory
19. Easy Come, Easy Go (1947) .... Martin L. Donovan
20. California (1946) .... Michael Fabian
21. Two Years Before the Mast (1946) .... Terence O'Feenaghty
22. The Stork Club (1945) .... Jerry B. 'J.B.'/'Pop' Bates
23. And Then There Were None (1945) .... Judge Francis J. Quinncannon
... aka Rene Clair's 'And Then There Were None' (USA: complete title)
... aka Ten Little Niggers (UK)
24. Duffy's Tavern (1945) .... Bing Crosby's father
25. Incendiary Blonde (1945) .... Michael 'Mike' Guinan
26. None But the Lonely Heart (1944) .... Henry Twite
27. I Love a Soldier (1944) .... Murphy
28. Going My Way (1944) .... Father Fitzgibbon
29. Corvette K-225 (1943) .... Stooky O'Meara
... aka The Nelson Touch (UK)
30. Two Tickets to London (1943) .... Capt. McCardle
31. The Amazing Mrs. Holliday (1943) .... Timothy Blake
32. Tarzan's Secret Treasure (1941) .... O'Doul
33. How Green Was My Valley (1941) .... Cyfartha
... aka Richard Llewellyn's How Green Was My Valley (USA: complete title)
34. The Sea Wolf (1941) .... Cooky
35. San Francisco Docks (1940) .... The Icky
36. The Long Voyage Home (1940) .... Cocky
37. Full Confession (1939) .... Michael O'Keefe
38. The Saint Strikes Back (1939) .... Zipper Dyson
39. Pacific Liner (1939) .... Britches Webley
40. The Dawn Patrol (1938) .... Bott
41. Marie Antoinette (1938) (uncredited) .... Peddler
42. Four Men and a Prayer (1938) .... Trooper Mulcahay
43. Bringing Up Baby (1938) .... Aloysius Gogarty
44. Ebb Tide (1937) .... Huish
45. The Plough and the Stars (1936) .... Fluther Good
46. Juno and the Paycock (1930) .... The Orator
... aka The Shame of Mary Boyle (USA)
47. Land of Her Fathers (1924)
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

ladylinn

Re: Loser's Town Question #7 ~ Terry McGuinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:16 pm

I am old enough to be familiar with Barry Fitzgerald movies. The characters he played he always played with a twinkle in his eye. He definately was a scene stealer. I think Daniel brought this twinkle and scene stealing ability out in the character of Terry. Terry had to be Irish. I liked Terry and his love of life (and women).

Spoiler! :
Was sorry to read of his demise.

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:40 pm

Ahhhh, yes, Barry Fitzgerald, the diminutive, irascible, lovable rascal. I mostly picture him playing a priest. Yes, I think Terry did a pretty good job of being Fitzgeraldesque....the brogue, his flattering ways, the gift of gab, the sentimentality, the twinkle in his eye. Daniel had him admiring Allison for only taking one drink, rather than portraying him with the drunken Irish image. (With a maiden name that was mighty close to Fitzgerald, I appreciated that!)
Thanks for the great videos! :cool: I noticed in the first one that Barry said that he'd handle the situation, and Terry was portrayed as being very efficient at "handling" situations (well, up until the end :baby: ).
So I think Daniel pulled off the characterization well, and I liked Terry.
Spoiler! :
Too bad he fell in love... Sorry to see him go... :bawl:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

trygirl

Unread postby trygirl » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:05 pm

Without question I think Daniel pulls off the Irish caricature. Terry is very persuasive and Barry Fitzgerald is great in The Quiet Man. Society usually has it's own notions about foreigners, created by Hollywood, so what they really expect is a parody. Terry knows it's better to play into the farce than confuse them with reality. I guess this is one of the reasons I really liked the character of Terry McGuinn. He's smart, funny, and he's more au courant than Spandau. I also responded to his personality being very tongue-in-cheek.
I'm not a brand, I'm more of a variety. - Johnny Depp

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:08 pm

“Twinkle in the eye” is a good way of describing him, ladylinn. And a scene stealer for sure.

I don’t remember ever seeing any Barry Fitzgerald movies, which is not to say that I haven’t. But after watching these You Tube videos, it was like Yes—that’s Terry! And I think he could be full of the blarney. I did not like him initially. But as the story unfolded I grew to be very fond of Terry. I think he meant well. I think he was in love with love. But that’s OK with me, because so am I. He fell hard for Allison. It was just in his nature to do so.

Thanks to all for using the spoiler mechanism. :cool:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:07 pm

I think Daniel Depp did the Irish thing just right with Terry. All the good stuff was there, along with the toughness. I think I referred to Robert Parker's Spencer series earlier and I am a huge fan of that series, so any comparisons are meant to be high compliments. So when we meet Terry for the first time, I said, "OMG, Spandau has a Hawk!" Hawk always has Spencer's back and is totally cool and intelligent and spectactular with weapons, etc, etc. The only difference between Terry and Hawk (excepting ethnicity) is that Hawk would never, ever fall in love on the job.

Spoiler! :
And I am so sorry for both Terry and Allison, because I love for unredeemable characters to fall in love.
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:14 pm

Bix, me too. And never fear, we will be getting into all of that before the discussion is over.

For those of you who are interested…..

Robert Parker’s website

deppaura

Unread postby deppaura » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:26 am

Gandalf, Leprechaun, Terry. Full of charm and the 'ole Blarney. Quite mischevious and quite immature. Very well fleshed out by Daniel with all the expected characteristics. Rather childlike, at times, to a fault. Didn't always use the 'ole head. I was especially impressed with his defense skills. Hard to believe he learned those methods back at the 'ole sod! His fascination with Tolkein gave him an unexpected level of intelligence and also enhanced the Big Child in him. The Kid was his personality downfall.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:01 am

Good characterization, deppaura. :cool:

deppaura

Unread postby deppaura » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:44 pm

LIz, It is fun, and sometimes daunting, participating in this discussion with all the marvelously perceptive contributions!!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:43 pm

It’s a pretty insightful & articulate bunch, deppaura, of which you are included. :notworthy:

Jennak

Unread postby Jennak » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:18 pm

I think Daniel got it right with Terry. I have been around a lot of Irishmen, although they were mostly in Canada...not the USA. What I like is that Daniel made Terry a real person, without overplaying the Irish card. Terry knows the effect being Irish has on those he meets, but doesn't ham it up too much. And I liked it that he had a conscience. I really liked Terry. He made me smile. :lol:

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:32 pm

As I let slip before, Terry was my favorite character. I find myself agreeing with everything you ladies said about him and especially agree with the spoiler remarks. I find myself repeating what I said about Danny again. I am older but he has a much better grasp of all the older actors. I don't even recall Barry Fitzgerald but he does look familiar in the videos. Yes, Terry was immature and let his heart lead him around but his heart seemed to be in the right place. I did get the feeling that due to his exceptional ability to fight he was a little over confident and liked letting big fellows make fun of his size. I loved his Tolken hangup and like deppaura's comparison to Irish Leprechauns. I loved his Irish charm and even his womanizing because he fell in love.

Spoiler! :
In my opinion Terrys demise is the only mistake Danny made in the book. He should have kept Terry as Spandau's sidekick because I think they would make an entertaining team working together as their style was so different. Terry would have lightened up Spandau's tough silent side.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:49 pm

I think Daniel got this character just right judging from the comments. gemini, I agree with your spoiler comment!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

stroch

Unread postby stroch » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:15 pm

I absolutely agree
Spoiler! :
that Terry should have been kept around.
he and Spandau made a great team, with Terry supplying the charm and outgoing wit that the more reserved Spandau sorely needed.

He was my favorite character also, I I fond myself looking for him to appear when the focus was elsewhere. Daniel did a great job fleshing out his vivid character----he was the most interesting person in the book.
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

Return to “Loser's Town”